Rear-deck rattles during bass-heavy music? Solution!

AirPlur

Cars
AP AWD, '02 Boxster S 6MT
Have the relatively bass-shy Base Sound System, which consequently has forced me to max out the LF EQ slider, which then has resulted in a less-than-subtle rattling during music passages with sub-bass frequencies (most contemporary music). I was on the verge of scheduling a service appointment since, as much as I love driving the thing, even a stock system in a $90K+ car should be able to sound as put-together as a stock system in a $30K- car, but I got impatient and tried to diagnose and resolve the issue myself.

On closer inspection, it looks like the rear deck lid is vibrating against the rear window, since pressing down the areas that appear to be making contact suppressed most of the rattle such that you couldn't hear it unless you were really listening for it. So, janky as it is, having placed some rubber strips (meant for decoupling speakers from whatever surface they're placed on, see below) between the deck and the window, my sonic OCD has been tamed. I noticed a few others mentioning rattles coming from various areas of the car, though nothing specific to music listening. Just in case I'm not the only one, thought it may be helpful to point out (my experience of) the issue and potential fix.

The rubber strips I used (cut in half):

Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 9.57.19 PM.png

Pics taken at night, but you get the idea:

1000023735.jpg1000023736.jpg1000023739.jpg1000023741.jpg

Hope that's helpful, but hope even more that it isn't and I'm the only one who's had this issue :)

Here’s my post from last November:
Post in thread 'Rear Deck Creaking Noise'
https://lucidowners.com/threads/rear-deck-creaking-noise.3379/post-83089

And the final solution, version 1:
https://lucidowners.com/threads/rear-deck-creaking-noise.3379/post-83512

Then, version 2:
https://lucidowners.com/threads/rear-deck-creaking-noise.3379/post-84442

Later, I had the windows tinted and the foam is now completely invisible.

I have a Pure as well and would welcome having you issue. I have the equalizer set to maximum base and barely hear any base sitting in the front. I have the balance towards the rear as well. If you sit in the back, the bass is much more pronounced. Do you feel that the base is balanced in the front in your car? Pretty disappointed with the audio, especially in the driver's seat.

I have a Pure as well and would welcome having you issue. I have the equalizer set to maximum base and barely hear any base sitting in the front. I have the balance towards the rear as well. If you sit in the back, the bass is much more pronounced. Do you feel that the base is balanced in the front in your car? Pretty disappointed with the audio, especially in the driver's seat.
For record I have a GT with SSP

I recommend you read this thread:
Post in thread '[RESOLVED] Does your front footwell woofer work properly?'
https://lucidowners.com/threads/res...footwell-woofer-work-properly.3326/post-96845

Then, version 2:

Using your strategy, as well as some strategically placed tape in the car seat bracket covers on the rear deck to minimize their movement, I've eliminated any noise from the rear deck even when going over bumps. Thanks!

I might have missed it, but did you ever have your rear deck fixed/replaced?

Using your strategy, as well as some strategically placed tape in the car seat bracket covers on the rear deck to minimize their movement, I've eliminated any noise from the rear deck even when going over bumps. Thanks!

I might have missed it, but did you ever have your rear deck fixed/replaced?
Nope. The neoprene foam has been stuffed down there for 12,000 miles now and perfectly quiet.

Then, version 2:

Thanks @Bobby ! I searched the forum specifically for stereo/music-related complaints and didn't find anything, though thanks for the heads up and indeed it is clear that I am not alone :)

Warning: diplomatically-intentioned rant incoming ;)

So, I love basically everything about this car...except the audio system. And my indeed pointed opinions about it are not meant to deride how exceptional the overall car/driving experience is and everything about the novel/laudable design philosophy and effort behind the brand, but really to underscore how out of place and salient the stereo is relative to those things.

I had a chance to audition the SSP setup at the local studio and it sounded okay, but IMO didn't justify the premium above what I assumed would be an adequate base system. I also doubt I'll be listening to much atmos content anytime soon and think it's kinda gimmicky (though as a musician/audio nerd/former freelance audio journalist, admittedly a cool one!). And frankly, as much as I live(laugh?)love music, given how compromised most car environments are acoustically, I don't expect that much as long as it gets the job done of reproducing music audibly within standard frequency bands. However, I wasn't prepared to have the base system fall so short of my expectations despite how low they already were (unless we're talking the B&W/Meridian/Naim/Burmester systems that rival high-end home audio systems, and make me want to buy a totaled, decade-old Bentley/Land Rover/Jag/etc just to park it in my driveway as a personal listening pod). Despite that, I feel the Lucid setup is bested by pretty much every sound system I've heard in a car within the last decade, as well as the 20-year-old harmon/kardon setup in my W164 MB ML500 SUV. And the fact that it is the base/non-premium system doesn't justify how any sound system in a car in this segment would have such an under-performing stereo that requires (per this owners forum) so much discussion and remediation to make acceptable (i.e. having to max out the LF EQ setting to get any semblance of low frequencies, shifting the balance to the rear, etc).

Despite all this seeming vitriol, how much has this diminished my ownership experience of the car? Probably from an A+++ to an A++. And admittedly I enjoy a good audio exposition/monologue since I do miss my audio critic days (very, very occasionally), but yeah...as much as I'm a willing and happy guinea pig for a burgeoning and promising and game-changing disrupter in the anything-but-easy automotive space, it's too bad this is one of the few things that can't be fixed with an OTA update :( All of that said, given they had to choose a few areas to/not to compromise given their resources/GTM timelines, the stereo system would get my vote for the "compromise" list :)

OK, will end this rant now and go back to my high-res flac acoustically-treated quintuple-nines-copper-cabled home hifi. Until I miss driving the car and need to take it out for a spin.

So, I love basically everything about this car...except the audio system. And my indeed pointed opinions about it are not meant to deride how exceptional the overall car/driving experience is and everything about the novel/laudable design philosophy and effort behind the brand, but really to underscore how out of place and salient the stereo is relative to those things.

I had a chance to audition the SSP setup at the local studio and it sounded okay, but IMO didn't justify the premium above what I assumed would be an adequate base system. I also doubt I'll be listening to much atmos content anytime soon and think it's kinda gimmicky (though as a musician/audio nerd/former freelance audio journalist, admittedly a cool one!). And frankly, as much as I live(laugh?)love music, given how compromised most car environments are acoustically, I don't expect that much as long as it gets the job done of reproducing music audibly within standard frequency bands. However, I wasn't prepared to have the base system fall so short of my expectations despite how low they already were (unless we're talking the B&W/Meridian/Naim/Burmester systems that rival high-end home audio systems, and make me want to buy a totaled, decade-old Bentley/Land Rover/Jag/etc just to park it in my driveway as a personal listening pod). Despite that, I feel the Lucid setup is bested by pretty much every sound system I've heard in a car within the last decade, as well as the 20-year-old harmon/kardon setup in my W164 MB ML500 SUV. And the fact that it is the base/non-premium system doesn't justify how any sound system in a car in this segment would have such an under-performing stereo that requires (per this owners forum) so much discussion and remediation to make acceptable (i.e. having to max out the LF EQ setting to get any semblance of low frequencies, shifting the balance to the rear, etc).

Despite all this seeming vitriol, how much has this diminished my ownership experience of the car? Probably from an A+++ to an A++. And admittedly I enjoy a good audio exposition/monologue since I do miss my audio critic days (very, very occasionally), but yeah...as much as I'm a willing and happy guinea pig for a burgeoning and promising and game-changing disrupter in the anything-but-easy automotive space, it's too bad this is one of the few things that can't be fixed with an OTA update :( All of that said, given they had to choose a few areas to/not to compromise given their resources/GTM timelines, the stereo system would get my vote for the "compromise" list :)

OK, will end this rant now and go back to my high-res flac acoustically-treated quintuple-nines-copper-cabled home hifi. Until I miss driving the car and need to take it out for a spin.
I think I am going to the studio again to see standard SS. I want to find out if it is really as horrible as people state!

There are several threads on this forum detailing audio upgrades made by owners. If it is that important to you, you might consider a similar option.

There are several threads on this forum detailing audio upgrades made by owners. If it is that important to you, you might consider a similar option.
Yep! Had a chance to check them out. I'm leasing so not ready to commit to tearing the car apart just yet since the threads I've seen involve super invasive, potentially vehicle/safety-compromising work required (unless I missed the threads you're referring to), though if I keep it past the least I almost certainly will since I think an EV is a much more suitable rolling listening environment anyway.

Out of curiosity, in the studio with SSP were they using a Tidal feed with ATMOS enabled? That seems to be where there has been confusion about why SSP doesn't sound as good as it should.

Out of curiosity, in the studio with SSP were they using a Tidal feed with ATMOS enabled? That seems to be where there has been confusion about why SSP doesn't sound as good as it should.
Was using TIDAL HiFi (flac/MQA) however wasn't atmos material, which is representative of how I (and you?) would likely be listening.

I'm sure SSP/atmos has some fun party tricks up its sleeve, but I'm only concerned about how a system sounds with standard (99.99999% of music, 100% of my music) stereo playback. I hope Lucid didn't engineer and optimize just for atmos playback, as that feels a little disingenuous to me and very much stacks the showroom deck for how it could perform if you have just the right circumstances of the music you'd want to listen to being available in a somewhat esoteric movie surround format, on TIDAL as well. That or they assumed their clientele comprises only audiophiles who listen to the same 4 min of close-mic'd soft vocal acoustic smothe jazz, which I'm sure exists plentifully in atmos format. Today, for now and probably for a while to come, the bar to deliver upon is stereo, at least until atmos trickles down to the point where it's just as easy of a recording option for a laptop/bedroom/garage musician as it is for aforementioned Diana Krall. Would be super cool if that becomes the reality, especially as a fan of electronica which I feel exploits the creative possibilities of surround without the same contrived goofiness as reproducing "real instrument" performances (save psychedelia and prog rock), but my jaded ass is always ready/willing to be proven wrong. Where was I? Oh yes, I'm a self-loathing/recovering audiophile/stereo apologist who wants my MTV. In stereo.

Was using TIDAL HiFi (flac/MQA) however wasn't atmos material, which is representative of how I (and you?) would likely be listening.

I'm sure SSP/atmos has some fun party tricks up its sleeve, but I'm only concerned about how a system sounds with standard (99.99999% of music, 100% of my music) stereo playback. I hope Lucid didn't engineer and optimize just for atmos playback, as that feels a little disingenuous to me and very much stacks the showroom deck for how it could perform if you have just the right circumstances of the music you'd want to listen to being available in a somewhat esoteric movie surround format, on TIDAL as well. That or they assumed their clientele comprises only audiophiles who listen to the same 4 min of close-mic'd soft vocal acoustic smothe jazz, which I'm sure exists plentifully in atmos format. Today, for now and probably for a while to come, the bar to deliver upon is stereo, at least until atmos trickles down to the point where it's just as easy of a recording option for a laptop/bedroom/garage musician as it is for aforementioned Diana Krall. Would be super cool if that becomes the reality, especially as a fan of electronica which I feel exploits the creative possibilities of surround without the same contrived goofiness as reproducing "real instrument" performances (save psychedelia and prog rock), but my jaded ass is always ready/willing to be proven wrong. Where was I? Oh yes, I'm a self-loathing/recovering audiophile/stereo apologist who wants my MTV. In stereo.
Rather than rehash it all here, I encourage you to use the search about this topic. There are many detailed threads about the sound in the car and options for improvement.

Rather than rehash it all here, I encourage you to use the search about this topic. There are many detailed threads about the sound in the car and options for improvement.
I was actually hoping to not pollute otherwise productive threads with my self-indulgent audio elitism, but if you insist... ;)

I have the sir pure and posted several times regarding my disappointment with the sound system. Then something great happened. All of a sudden the sound system became phenomenal. I mean it went from the worse car audio system I've ever had to the best. The voices were crystal clear, the base very good and the tinny sound gone. My wife also confirmed the marked improvement. I don't know what happened that led to this big improvement. Maybe it was a software upgrade? The point is, that maybe there is something wrong with your system and should be checked out by service,

I have the sir pure and posted several times regarding my disappointment with the sound system. Then something great happened. All of a sudden the sound system became phenomenal. I mean it went from the worse car audio system I've ever had to the best. The voices were crystal clear, the base very good and the tinny sound gone. My wife also confirmed the marked improvement. I don't know what happened that led to this big improvement. Maybe it was a software upgrade? The point is, that maybe there is something wrong with your system and should be checked out by service,
His reply was posted before the update!

Yes. One of the recent software updates fixed the sound systems in the Pures.

I’m not sure why it wasn’t in the release notes.

Back