Rear Deck Creaking Noise

Per the service folks in Scottsdale yesterday, there is a new bulletin, issued "a couple of days ago", that details a procedure to address the creaking. From what I gather, there may have been a problem during the assembly where part of the rear parcel shelf in the corner was installed incorrectly. The remediation involves bending some part of the shelf to the correct orientation (my words, I can't remember exactly how they described it to me) There is also an updated rear deck shelf. Mobile service is coming out next week to try the remediation. They're also bringing the updated shelf to replace if that doesn't work.
I had this repair done recently and it resolved the issue.

Per the service folks in Scottsdale yesterday, there is a new bulletin, issued "a couple of days ago", that details a procedure to address the creaking. From what I gather, there may have been a problem during the assembly where part of the rear parcel shelf in the corner was installed incorrectly. The remediation involves bending some part of the shelf to the correct orientation (my words, I can't remember exactly how they described it to me) There is also an updated rear deck shelf. Mobile service is coming out next week to try the remediation. They're also bringing the updated shelf to replace if that doesn't work.
Thanks for providing the update. I had my deck replaced about a month ago but the creaking came back. Sounds like they finally got to the root of the issue.

76245D79-A901-4EB5-A422-91A31A1930A0.jpeg

Damn this also just happened to me :(

Obviously no impact or anything to explain it. The car was sitting in front of my house all day in the hot sun and when I went to drive it to the grocery store I notice this massive crack.

Only thing I can think of is contracting and expanding materials due to the A/C and heat

View attachment 12630

Obviously no impact or anything to explain it. The car was sitting in front of my house all day in the hot sun and when I went to drive it to the grocery store I notice this massive crack.

Only thing I can think of is contracting and expanding materials due to the A/C and heat
Looks like where the trunk hinge is roughly located. Open your trunk and see if the hinge rubs the spot.

Looks like where the trunk hinge is roughly located. Open your trunk and see if the hinge rubs the spot.
I looked at that and it doesn’t. Also I did not open or close the trunk recently. But it’s not really close to the hinge it’s further back in the "corner" of the glass.

Also if you look closely there are 2 cracks that approximate each other
One in the inside of the glass and one on the outside

No luck on the repair today. Mobile service came out and advised the TSB wouldn't fix. Unfortunately the replacement rear parcel shelf they brought to install was defective and they don't have another one. They'll order a new and we'll try this again. They did ask that I go into the service center vs. mobile when the part arrives.

No luck on the repair today. Mobile service came out and advised the TSB wouldn't fix. Unfortunately the replacement rear parcel shelf they brought to install was defective and they don't have another one. They'll order a new and we'll try this again. They did ask that I go into the service center vs. mobile when the part arrives.
Seems to be a thing; my rear upper trim headliner needs replacing (long story, not a big deal, just a parts issue when my car was built) but it arrived damaged. I suspect shipping is being reworked as a result.

View attachment 12630

Had the same thing happen within 2 weeks of taking delivery with nothing to explain the issue. I got quoted $1600 by Lucid to replace the glass.

Had the same thing happen within 2 weeks of taking delivery with nothing to explain the issue. I got quoted $1600 by Lucid to replace the glass.
Did you fight it? With no physical damage by an external factor, they won't cover it? Tesla had that issue before.

It’s gonna be way way more than that to replace the rear glass by the way

I used some foam tape I had laying around, actually made by Porsche. I didn’t peel the backing, just pushed it in there. Used a plastic trim tool to gently push it out of sight.

Any neoprene will work, for example: https://a.co/d/bhMIRKR
@Bobby What thickness would you recommend based on your experience: 1/8, 1/4, 1/2? I believe I have the same creaking sound coming from the rear deck where speakers are installed. I want to try the infamous bobby foam and see if it solves the issue.

@Bobby What thickness would you recommend based on your experience: 1/8, 1/4, 1/2? I believe I have the same creaking sound coming from the rear deck where speakers are installed. I want to try the infamous bobby foam and see if it solves the issue.
They have a new parcel shelf that’s an actual fix. Call service and have them replace it.

This is now an known issue with Lucid. If it’s reported, as long as they can identify which areas are creaking on the strip/plank, they have the fix, and it is some sort of adhesive foam tape.

Neoprene Foam Strip Roll by Dualplex, 2" Wide x 10' Long x 1/8" Thick, Weather Seal High Density Stripping Non Adhesive – Weather Strip Roll Insulation Foam Strips - 10 Feet Long https://a.co/d/i3w8la0

I've had a persistent creak coming from the rear deck area of my car for a while. I've tried different approaches to fix it, like using Bobby Foam, but none of them worked. Lucid replaced the rear deck lid with an updated part, but that didn't solve the issue either. The creaking noise consistently occurred when I pulled out of my driveway, especially when one wheel was on the sidewalk and the other on the street. I also noticed the noise during turns where the roof or glass seemed to flex from side to side.

After a lot of investigation, I discovered that I could somewhat replicate the creaking by pressing on specific spots on the top of the rear roof bow. By the way, this bow had been removed and reattached earlier in 2023 to fix a constant rattle while driving. I explored various potential solutions before deciding to try spraying a dry lube underneath the bow. Using WD-40 Dry Lube with PTFE along the length of the bow made the sound vanish, and it hasn't returned in the two weeks since I did this.

I'm aware that there can be multiple causes for this creak, and while foam might work for some, others might need a new rear parcel shelf. I'm hopeful that sharing my experience might assist someone whose issue hasn't been resolved by those or other methods.
IMG_1009-2.jpg
IMG_1010-2.jpg

I just picked up my GT on 12/30. On my way home I immediately noticed a loud rattle from the rear passenger side. At first I thought it was the sunshade and tried raising and lowering but no help. It seems the comments on this thread have died down. Did everyone get the issue fixed? I tried to schedule service but all centers are closed today. Other than the rattle and the rear door not closing properly the car is great so far. Hoping for a speedy resolution.

I just picked up my GT on 12/30. On my way home I immediately noticed a loud rattle from the rear passenger side. At first I thought it was the sunshade and tried raising and lowering but no help. It seems the comments on this thread have died down. Did everyone get the issue fixed? I tried to schedule service but all centers are closed today. Other than the rattle and the rear door not closing properly the car is great so far. Hoping for a speedy resolution.
A rattle would indicate a loose nut or screw

I'm hearing a similar rattle on the right rear passenger side door. Seems to be vibration induced when going over rougher roads. Thought it might be related to the sunshade but raising and lowering the sunshade doesn't seem to always help. Haven't yet contacted CS as I've been looking for an easy fix...

Back