Rear Deck Creaking Noise

There’s that word again: simple.

Nothing about making a car is simple.

Having said that, it is curious they still don’t seem to have a definitive fix for this problem. I thought they had a whole new part they were supposed to replace. My creak is gone after it was just addressed by service. I don’t know what they did, but they did not replace the rear deck. And I’ve seen too many reports here of it coming back to be 100% confident that what they did will fix it for good.

I’m wondering if there’s a communication issue going on. Where even if they’ve come up with a solution, not every service tech gets notified immediately of the newest procedure. Or maybe they are still trying to fix things in the most cost-efficient way possible, and only replace parts when absolutely necessary? Who knows?

My entire rear deck was replaced. Quiet at first, but the noise has reappeared. It is a pesky issue for sure; I am just going to try the foam and call it good for now. I can only hear it when music is off and I almost never drive in relative silence, so I will revisit this issue down the road.

there are really two possible reactions to the rear deck creaking. One is to contact service and demand it be fixed. Unfortunately, it seems that some of the new parts are having the same problem. There is nothing wrong with this approach, it’s just not for me.

The other is to look for a solution myself. Now, many will say that’s ridiculous on such an expensive car, but I really don’t care how expensive the car is. If I can fix it myself, I will. My house was a lot more than my car, and I am constantly doing DIY projects to fix things. It doesn’t bother me. My car will not leave me stranded because of a minor creak. I am going to upload a video soon on which foam I used and where I placed it. I hope this is helpful to those that are having creaking issues.

there are really two possible reactions to the rear deck creaking. One is to contact service and demand it be fixed. Unfortunately, it seems that some of the new parts are having the same problem. There is nothing wrong with this approach, it’s just not for me.

The other is to look for a solution myself. Now, many will say that’s ridiculous on such an expensive car, but I really don’t care how expensive the car is. If I can fix it myself, I will. My house was a lot more than my car, and I am constantly doing DIY projects to fix things. It doesn’t bother me. My car will not leave me stranded because of a minor creak. I am going to upload a video soon on which foam I used and where I placed it. I hope this is helpful to those that are having creaking issues.

Looking forward to the video because I will adopting your approach. I give kudos to Lucid for being so responsive to my concern and trying to resolve the issue. James McElroy( out of Utah ) went above and beyond He thankfully fixed my back speaker when he addressed the deck, so I am really happy to have a flawless soundstage once again.

I’m really curious about this noise as it does sound common. I’m pretty sure my car doesn’t have it, it’s mainly my kid’s car seat that occasionally makes noise when I go over a bump a certain way. Can you guys describe the exact location of it and what it sounds like? When I hear the word “creak” I think of an old wood rocking chair or old door in a horror film that needs WD40 on the hinges. Is it more of a rattle? A squeak? I’ll occasionally hear very minor contact related noise in the car but it is pretty rare.

I’m really curious about this noise as it does sound common. I’m pretty sure my car doesn’t have it, it’s mainly my kid’s car seat that occasionally makes noise when I go over a bump a certain way. Can you guys describe the exact location of it and what it sounds like? When I hear the word “creak” I think of an old wood rocking chair or old door in a horror film that needs WD40 on the hinges. Is it more of a rattle? A squeak? I’ll occasionally hear very minor contact related noise in the car but it is pretty rare.
In my case it was a sound like a bad electrical connection to the right rear speaker amplifier, like a crackle. They put felt tape on one of the surfaces and that solved it.

To @Bobby ‘s point about fixing it yourself; that’s very admirable and the right attitude to have, and you’ve contributed so many great ideas and observations to the community here. My personal hope in reaching out to service for these nuisance issues is that someone in their engineering and quality groups is working the Pareto charts of reported issues. They have the skills to be better than the benchmarks in most any comparison, but they need feedback and data to refine to as they grow.

Mine is a rattle that emanates from the rear passenger side deck area. I had the deck replaced and that temporarily fixed the problem. It is now back , but seems to be a bit temperature dependent and has a mind of its own. Apparently , there is a new iteration of the rear deck, perhaps there is yet a 3rd version ( not sure about this )?
It’s not such a big deal, but I tend to focus on them when present , especially if not listening to music.

For me, it was the distinct sound of leather rubbing up against the glass window. Sort of like when you sit in one of those old vinyl chairs from the 70s. The foam definitely helped.

Things are getting worse…. Just noticed the rear window has hairline cracks in it on the right/passenger side. The entire trunk is clearly not sitting squarely on the back of the vehicle and the twisted orientation must be putting enough pressure on the rear window to actually crack it. I’d give the car a 2 (out of 10) for “fit and finish”…. Really disappointing first experience with Lucid
Glad you posted this. I just found hairline fractures in my rear window, too. Very helpful to know this is a "thing." My cracks appear to be caused by a too-tight fit on the trunk support arms, which seems to be putting too much pressure on the glass. The fractures are hard to see, but look at the reflection of the photographer; that is where you will see the cracks.

Attachments

• IMG_4204.jpg
    IMG_4204.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 128
Well I received bad news from the tint guys that they noticed a crack in the rear windshield glass. I just got my car from service center for fixing the wide gap of the trunk door and body. I want the pros here to chime in if the alignment fix by lucid may have caused this or it’s the tint guys who may have inadvertently caused it ?

Attachments

• 40EDEFB3-BE23-4EA2-B32D-05E74F1E82AF.jpeg
    40EDEFB3-BE23-4EA2-B32D-05E74F1E82AF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 111
Well I received bad news from the tint guys that they noticed a crack in the rear windshield glass. I just got my car from service center for fixing the wide gap of the trunk door and body. I want the pros here to chime in if the alignment fix by lucid may have caused this or it’s the tint guys who may have inadvertently caused it ?
Im hardly a pro, but it does seem like a pretty big coincidence that several of us on this forum are getting fractures in our rear windows. I think it would be a stretch for Lucid to say the tint shop did it, especially given the apparent trend. Also, if I were going to argue that the tint shop did it, I would need an impact mark somewhere to make a solid case.

The tint shop was prepping the car when they noticed it. Haven’t tinted or applied PPF yet. This shop has worked on lucid before and currently has another lucid there as well. I’m going to be in the center of the blame game here between lucid and the tint shop. Sigh.

Update on the broken rear glass. SA diagnosed it as a stress fracture and will take care of it right away as the glass was available. Dropped off and got a AGT loaner for 3 days it takes for them to fix it. Overall good experience.

Update on the broken rear glass. SA diagnosed it as a stress fracture and will take care of it right away as the glass was available. Dropped off and got a AGT loaner for 3 days it takes for them to fix it. Overall good experience.
Thanks for the update. This is good for those of us with similar cracking. Did anyone from Lucid explain how they will replace the rear window so that the cracks wont happen again?

Thanks for the update. This is good for those of us with similar cracking. Did anyone from Lucid explain how they will replace the rear window so that the cracks wont happen again?
Well, I was told that the glass is "glued" to the edges of the body frame and the glue may have contracted/expanded to cause the crack. When I asked how do you ensure that it doesnt crack again after you install the new glass, I was told the new glue should be better and this wont happen again.

I noticed my rear window cracked on April 30, and it has gotten larger since. Getting it checked out next week along with the recall fix.

Attachments

• 20230430_180727.jpg
    20230430_180727.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 101
  • 20230503_155716.jpg
    20230503_155716.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
Another update
Another update. While installing the rear glass they broke the roof glass.. Per SA, it will be restored to factory finish.. let me see..smh..

Another update. While installing the rear glass they broke the roof glass.. Per SA, it will be restored to factory finish.. let me see..smh..
I am currently waiting for parts (2 weeks now for this and the recent safety recall parts... 6 weeks for a door panel "fit & trim" issue) for a roof glass crack which also appears to be a stress crack (while very long, it is hard to see unless you are in the rear seat). The crack appeared sometime in the 6ish weeks after the car was returned from 3.5 months in a body shop which included replacement of the rear window (broken in an accident). Lucid has not yet inspected the car, so it is at this time unclear if they will evaluate this as a warranty issue or something else (the accident? the repair?).

I am currently waiting for parts (2 weeks now for this and the recent safety recall parts... 6 weeks for a door panel "fit & trim" issue) for a roof glass crack which also appears to be a stress crack (while very long, it is hard to see unless you are in the rear seat). The crack appeared sometime in the 6ish weeks after the car was returned from 3.5 months in a body shop which included replacement of the rear window (broken in an accident). Lucid has not yet inspected the car, so it is at this time unclear if they will evaluate this as a warranty issue or something else (the accident? the repair?).
They are a start up and yet to figure out these real word performance testing of their manufacturing methods. In my case, the glue that holds the glass. Buying first edition model from a start up, I was prepared for these issues. They have handled it well and have been upfront & kept me updated on status. I am happy with the CS. I had a Range Rover much more expensive than my Touring, the CS at RR dealership that I have experienced was horrible. Every major part that I needed had to come from the UK, had to wait for a month and so on. At least, they seem to have the parts in my case. I'm hoping they are learning from this issues faced by the first edition owners and improve their production methods and processes. At this point, I want them to succeed.

I got my car back after two weeks. They had to replace all parts from the roof to the rear glass including cantrails. But i think they did a good job.

Per the service folks in Scottsdale yesterday, there is a new bulletin, issued "a couple of days ago", that details a procedure to address the creaking. From what I gather, there may have been a problem during the assembly where part of the rear parcel shelf in the corner was installed incorrectly. The remediation involves bending some part of the shelf to the correct orientation (my words, I can't remember exactly how they described it to me) There is also an updated rear deck shelf. Mobile service is coming out next week to try the remediation. They're also bringing the updated shelf to replace if that doesn't work.

Back