Lucid engineering taking a really long time to investigate my car

andrew61

Verified Owner
Cars
BMW M4, Audi S4, Alfa 73
I'm a little worried. The car went into the Millbrae service center last Thursday. Friday, the car was online and updated; I thought Christopher called and said Lucid wanted the car over the weekend to check the pulling to the right; the system down the problem. All good by me. Monday and Tuesday come and go and no word. At the end of today, I got a voicemail saying the following:

1) Service is still looking into the CarPlay, a software upgrade, the cool brackets ( recall item), and something else.
2) More concerning: Engineering spotted some kind of problem with the network issue, which was the original reason the service was set up. They won't release the car until they look at it more carefully. No ETA, but at least another week
3) Engineering is also not bottomed out in the service down issue and may need to be reminded that this is a core issue

While I appreciate Christopher's communication -- He's definitely a good guy, this is concerning, to say the least. What was supposed to be a 3-day problem is now 12 days or more with only a maybe delivery day.

Hopefully, this will get sorted out quickly. And this will be a one-time thing!

Will keep everyone posted.

I'm a little worried. The car went into the Millbrae service center last Thursday. Friday, the car was online and updated; I thought Christopher called and said Lucid wanted the car over the weekend to check the pulling to the right; the system down the problem. All good by me. Monday and Tuesday come and go and no word. At the end of today, I got a voicemail saying the following:

1) Service is still looking into the CarPlay, a software upgrade, the cool brackets ( recall item), and something else.
2) More concerning: Engineering spotted some kind of problem with the network issue, which was the original reason the service was set up. They won't release the car until they look at it more carefully. No ETA, but at least another week
3) Engineering is also not bottomed out in the service down issue and may need to be reminded that this is a core issue

While I appreciate Christopher's communication -- He's definitely a good guy, this is concerning, to say the least. What was supposed to be a 3-day problem is now 12 days or more with only a maybe delivery day.

Do you at least have a lucid loaner?

I’m not sure the title of this thread is appropriate to the content. It’s almost a little bit of Clickbait, which is against our forum guidelines. Would you be OK if I changed it to be more appropriate, like: “Services is taking longer than I expected.”

I’m not sure the title of this thread is appropriate to the content. It’s almost a little bit of Clickbait, which is against our forum guidelines. Would you be OK if I changed it to be more appropriate, like: “Services is taking longer than I expected.”
Also, wouldn't it be better to keep all these posts in one thread rather than starting a new one each time? There's like 3 or 4 different threads started by the OP for the same issue...

Ok to change the title, but it is engineering and not service that is the long poll. Engineering is doing the investigation and creating the fix for service to implement. It’s like having a level 1 software bug. Your down and the product team, not support has control. And there is usually an SLA attached to the fix.

All that being said, I trust your editing so ok to do what you think is best.

In the other hand, I think it’s important that we owners can discuss problems that can be solved by service vs. those that require engineering, so I’m less in favor of merging this with other posts, but again, I’m fine with whatever you decide.

Ok to change the title, but it is engineering and not service that is the long poll. Engineering is doing the investigation and creating the fix for service to implement. It’s like having a level 1 software bug. Your down and the product team, not support has control. And there is usually an SLA attached to the fix.

All that being said, I trust your editing so ok to do what you think is best.

In the other hand, I think it’s important that we owners can discuss problems that can be solved by service vs. those that require engineering, so I’m less in favor of merging this with other posts, but again, I’m fine with whatever you decide.

I totally agree with everything you said. I modified the title to be a bit more clear, since "won't release my car" makes it sound like they are holding it in a locked cell and denying you access, lol, which I think is not quite your intent, even if functionally the same. :)

Also, that totally sucks. That said, I do appreciate the thorough nature of the service and engineering investigations, even if it's insanely annoying and frustrating at times.

I understand the concern/frustration. When service encounters a problem that they do not have service procedures for and have not seen before, they will work with engineering. Engineering asks service to run specific tests (sometimes engineering has to write the procedure first) and then engineering needs to review the data. Based on those results, engineering asks for more data. This loop can continue multiple times and service really does not know how long it will take to find a resolution. Once your problem is resolved, the engineering and service team write a the service procedures so the next owners with the same problem will have a much faster repair.

In 2022, my car was in service multiple times and it seemed that even simple things were taking a long time to get resolved. I know in one of those cases, Lucid flew three engineers from HQ to my service center to resolve the issue. Lucid is likely working overtime to get your car back to you as quick as possible. I know that does not make the wait any easier.

I understand the concern/frustration. When service encounters a problem that they do not have service procedures for and have not seen before, they will work with engineering. Engineering asks service to run specific tests (sometimes engineering has to write the procedure first) and then engineering needs to review the data. Based on those results, engineering asks for more data. This loop can continue multiple times and service really does not know how long it will take to find a resolution. Once your problem is resolved, the engineering and service team write a the service procedures so the next owners with the same problem will have a much faster repair.

In 2022, my car was in service multiple times and it seemed that even simple things were taking a long time to get resolved. I know in one of those cases, Lucid flew three engineers from HQ to my service center to resolve the issue. Lucid is likely working overtime to get your car back to you as quick as possible. I know that does not make the wait any easier.
This is why, in my view, a quality somewhat equivalent loaner provided by Lucid (not a referral to a car rental company) is so important. If possible, another Lucid; if not, something at least close to it.

This is why, in my view, a quality somewhat equivalent loaner provided by Lucid (not a referral to a car rental company) is so important. If possible, another Lucid; if not, something at least close to it.
Another reason to get the same trim loaner if available is to verify your service issues. When I took my GT for service recently, they gave me the same exact trim with similar miles (and same color too boot) for a week and a half. It was nice to confirm the list of service issues that I had with my GT was not happening in the loaner, which gave me confidence that there were specific issues with my car that needs to be looked at and resolved. I also noticed slight differences (i.e noises, stiffness in tactile buttons, steering wheel, panel fittings, door/frunk/trunk closings, etc) in things that I think make each of our cars unique to each other.

All good points. Probably was a mistake not to get the loaner -- but we live right in San Francisco. Having a three cars and one with no parking stickers is a huge hassle for us as we have limited parking space, along with a teenager learning to drive :).

I'm optimistic that Lucid will return the car in perfect sometime next week!

I thought Christopher called and said Lucid wanted the car over the weekend to check the pulling to the right; the system down the problem.
Didn't we answer this in your last thread? The sudden pull from the lane departure protection? Or were you talking about a constant veering to the right eerywhere due to alignment?

Been answered -- they are just checking -- it freaked my wife out, so they wanted to drive it a bit with lane departure off to make sure. They have done that and agree that lane departure is the most likely culprit.

Christopher has been good to work with.

FYI, my current car does not pull right with lane departure. But it's old and relatively weak in what it does. Is the Lucid lane departure still a work in progress, or are all implementations super sensitive?

FYI, my current car does not pull right with lane departure. But it's old and relatively weak in what it does. Is the Lucid lane departure still a work in progress, or are all implementations super sensitive?
All cars with lane departure (that have an intervention mode) pull weirdly when you're not expecting it. Some cars have lane departure that only vibrates the wheel (like the M4) so obviously it won't pull. It's pretty common across all Makes. It's best to just turn it off on all cars.

All cars with lane departure (that have an intervention mode) pull weirdly when you're not expecting it. Some cars have lane departure that only vibrates the wheel (like the M4) so obviously it won't pull. It's pretty common across all Makes. It's best to just turn it off on all cars.
You can set your Lucid to only vibrate the wheel. That’s how I use it because I don’t like the car steering for me. Sometimes I purposely cross the line a little bit.

I have never driven a car where lane departure protection was pleasant or desired. Somebody must like it, but I for one like to choose where I drive. Especially around here where we often have several mis-painted lane lines on top of each other left over from construction projects.

Interesting...Had no idea this was happening, but it makes total sense. They have to obviously iterate and document solutions that haven't existed before.

I have never driven a car where lane departure protection was pleasant or desired. Somebody must like it, but I for one like to choose where I drive. Especially around here where we often have several mis-painted lane lines on top of each other left over from construction projects.
I don't know if anyone likes it, but manufacturers consider it a safety feature. You couldn't turn it off or make any adjustments to it in my Honda. Nor could you go into the Navigation screen and put in a route while driving, even if you were stopped at a light. Also in the interest of safety.

Back