Quality Issues

Yes, Lucid made several decisions about operating features of the car that so defy common sense that owners think the feature is malfunctioning when it's actually working as programmed.

One is the feature that keeps the car cool for 45 minutes after you exit it. If you enable that feature but get back in the car within the 45 minutes and begin driving it, the A/C still cuts off at the 45-minute mark. it's absolutely absurd to have to go into a menu to restart the A/C while you're driving. The feature should have an override once the driver gets back in the car, and most certainly once he begins driving it.

Another is the automatic close feature on the trunk and the frunk. If you leave the lids open more than 10 minutes (such as when letting water drain away after a car wash), the automatic close feature times out, requiring you to close the lids manually. The automatic close does not reset when you start the car. It only resets by manually closing the lids.

So many software features having bad code and other features burdened by such bizarre decisions about how they should operate really combine to serve up a big helping of software nightmares with the Air.

The car is such a superb driving machine and passenger conveyance that it would actually be improved by de-featuring it instead of having so many features that malfunction or operate oddly.
Instead of defeaturing it, just give us some real switches and buttons. I know it is not modern and I am old but I use a modern phone (Iphone 14 pro) so I do know how to use a touchscreen, I just don't want to use it while I am driving.

Not sure the harm if they initially set it at 10MPH instead of 5MPH. What are the downsides at 10?
No idea. But I am also not going to assume there were none :)

That said, it’s something they can certainly change! Let them know it’s a concern of yours :)

Instead of defeaturing it, just give us some real switches and buttons. I know it is not modern and I am old but I use a modern phone (Iphone 14 pro) so I do know how to use a touchscreen, I just don't want to use it while I am driving.

At least Lucid meets us halfway with buttons for audio volume and some A/C functions and stalks for wipers and gear selection. And for things such as lights and wipers, although they require screen presses, at least you don't have to go into submenus.

Our 2021 Tesla is a nightmare by comparison. You can't even honk the horn in an emergency without fishing for a tiny button on the yoke spoke beyond a thumb's reach from the rim.

Last edited:
…or they thought about it and decided 5mph was right. You may disagree, but attributing it to lack of forethought is mistaken; I doubt they picked a random number.

Have you emailed CS about it? Perhaps if they get enough gripes to make it 10, they’ll do so.

Sometimes it's impossible to fathom the thinking behind certain software features. In our Tesla, the Homelink buttons come up as we approach the garage doors. However, if anyone in the car -- even a passenger -- unsnaps their seat belt while the door is lifting, Homelink stops the door even with the car sitting at a dead stop a few feet from the garage. (A lot of people begin gathering up personal things as the car is being parked and unlock their seatbelts to facilitate it.) What possibly could have induced a programmer to introduce such a feature?

Sometimes it's impossible to fathom the thinking behind certain software features. In our Tesla, the Homelink buttons come up as we approach the garage doors. However, if anyone in the car -- even a passenger -- unsnaps their seat belt while the door is lifting, Homelink stops the door even with the car sitting at a dead stop a few feet from the garage. (A lot of people begin gathering up personal things as the car is being parked and unlock their seatbelts to facilitate it.) What possibly could have induced a programmer to introduce such a feature?
Something did, though, right? And that’s precisely my point.

Sure, sometimes, it’s random or a mistake. *Most* times, there is logic and thinking behind it that is simply not known - it could be *wrong*, but it’s unlikely that they never thought about it at all.

Something did, though, right? And that’s precisely my point.

Agreed. That's why I wrote that "it's impossible to fathom the thinking", not that there was no thinking involved in the Tesla feature.

It's the same with the Lucid feature that disables the power close feature on the trunk and frunk lids after 10 minutes of being left open. (I assume that was no mistake, as it would take additional code to put a timer on the power close feature.) I simply cannot figure out the reason for it. Lucid Customer Service said it was in case someone was leaving the lids open too long while loading the car. But that makes no sense at all. Why would they disable the power close feature just because someone was taking more than 10 minutes to load the car? I would not agree with the decision, but I could at least understand if they programmed to lids to close automatically after a prolonged period in case someone left the car and forgot to close the lids. But if what Customer Service said is true, then they're actually making it more difficult to close the lids if they're left open for long.

Agreed. That's why I wrote that "it's impossible to fathom the thinking", not that there was no thinking involved in the Tesla feature.

It's the same with the Lucid feature that disables the power close feature on the trunk and frunk lids after 10 minutes of being left open. (I assume that was no mistake, as it would take additional code to put a timer on the power close feature.) I simply cannot figure out the reason for it. Lucid Customer Service said it was in case someone was leaving the lids open too long while loading the car. But that makes no sense at all. Why would they disable the power close feature just because someone was taking more than 10 minutes to load the car? I would not agree with the decision, but I could at least understand if they programmed to lids to close automatically after a prolonged period in case someone left the car and forgot to close the lids. But if what Customer Service said is true, then they're actually making it more difficult to close the lids if they're left open for long.
Takes longer than ten minutes to load a body into a car, so really just keeping us all safe.

Takes longer than ten minutes to load a body into a car, so really just keeping us all safe.
Only if you skipped leg day

i always take these customer service reps answers with a grain of salt. i bet if you ask another rep they you another answer. pretty sure it's a bug.

I have passed 1,500 miles on my Lucid Air GT. The car, overall is excellent. There are issues that still annoy me such as the slow response in the car unlocking when I approach or the software lag and other buggy issues related to the software. I couldn't get my license plate on the rear because one of the very fine and very small screws would not come out because the nut was stripped - the tech replaced it and said this is a known problem and they are changing these soon.

When I first received the car it had issues with the frunk which was fixed. Then an issue with the driver's door not staying latched on very hot days. The service tech readjusted the striker and it fixed the issue however the door was clearly sticking out enough that it was very noticeable and wind noise came through. The tech came back out and readjusted it is now lined up well against the body but is slightly lower than the rear door. And the door closes with a very strange sound like it is not lined up well with the striker (kind of like the sound if your seat belt insert accidentally stays in the door jamb). The other doors do not make that sound.

View attachment 3939

Finally, this weekend I opened the trunk and a retainer fell out and hit the trunk deck. I sent a picture to the service tech and he immediately text me back stating:

"Hey, so that clip goes to the decklid molding that goes around where the 3rd brake light is. I will be coming back up to northern VA either this coming week or the week after that. I will come by and reinstall that for you."

Here is a picture of the piece next to the FOB for size comparison (in case anyone else found a piece like this near their car):

View attachment 3940

One thing that does stand out is Lucid's service tech. They are extremely dedicated and communicate with car owners.
To your last point, and I’m not a fan of being negative, but the techs are extremely variable depending on your region. I have reported issues for 3 straight weeks since ownership and have yet to have anybody address a single one.

You can beat that with enough practice.

To your last point, and I’m not a fan of being negative, but the techs are extremely variable depending on your region. I have reported issues for 3 straight weeks since ownership and have yet to have anybody address a single one.
I love my car, but it continues to have issues. My region, everyone has been responsive - quality of work is another thing.

I have had the car for about a month now and after two hand washes at home, my letters are also showing flaking. It's so disappointing. These photos are at 2 weeks of ownership and only driving around town. I asked my PPF guy about this too and he said nope, cannot do film on that plastic. I called Lucid who said, "you must be using car wash soap with acid in it"...?? I am using Amor All I don't see any acid listed on the label. I should be able to wash a car for many YEARS before any paint is compromised! We have several scratches in the paint and paint and glue over sprays and a gasket that is warped on a window and leather on an armrest in back that is janky - all mentioned at delivery and so far nothing has been done for us, even after repeated request to get them resolved. Allegedly the new armrest is on order along with the gasket, but no delivery date can even be estimated for us. I really don't see how they will be able to claim luxury car if they can't make good on the fit/finish issues. For the prices we are paying I would expect stellar customer attention. And don't get me started on the tire blow out with under 400 miles on it - and Pirelli is not wanting to do anything about it.
L lucid logo.jpg
U lucid logo.jpg
C ludid logo.jpg
I lucid logo.jpg
Amor All Soap back.jpg

Several owners on this forum have reported chipping of that backlit logo. We have a larger chip (only one, though) than your many small chips. Our car was Opti-Coated shortly after purchase, so no detergent actually gets to the chrome paint on that logo. And there's no way any branded car wash liquid should be able to strip that chrome paint off.

There is obviously some manufacturing/finishing defect with this particular part. The worse news is that the front bumper has to come off the car so that the entire chrome strip in which the logo is mounted can be replaced.

Although the logo on our car is in better shape than yours, since the bumper is off for the tow hook recall, anyway, we're having the logo replaced under warranty. But the part is having to be shipped to the Service Center, and our car has been in the shop for almost two weeks for this tow hook recall.

I continue to have issues with my car. A quick rehash:

My car went to the shop due to turtle issues. The technicians accidentally broke the frunk over backwards and it smashed into the windshield, which also broke. So, they did a major repair to fix all the issues this had caused. After nearly 6-weeks later, I got my car back. After a week or so, I noticed that the front lighted trim popped out on the passenger side, I noticed the replaced and repainted frunk had splotches in the paint. BTW, I did inform the delivery person, when they delivered my fixed car that the frunk seemed misaligned, he took a look at swore to me that it was perfect, so I took delivery. The reason the trim popped out was because when you open the frunk, it catches the trim due to misalignment and the trim itself had a broken locking tab.

The car is picked up by Lucid again and taken to their service center (third party). They replaced the trim, repainted the frunk, fixed the alignment, and replaced a number of other trim pieces where the adhesive was loose enough that the trim pieces have come off in the corners. With this service, I also indicated that I get a “brake light malfunction:” warning almost continuously. They said they could not replicate the brake light warning.

I got the car back last Wednesday, looked great! However, I have a few issues:

1. I have condensation in the driver’s side pillar camera
2. I cannot get the right cockpit screen to show the rear camera when I back up (the 360 on the large screen comes on with no issues).
3. I continue to get the “brake light malfunction” warning. So that everyone is clear, the brake light in fact DOES NOT work when this warning comes one (sometimes the middle light and other times all the brake lights)

I have performed several resets the Bobby profile switch and nothing seems to correct the brake warning or the rear-view camera.

I have reported this to the SM and ST, waiting to hear from them.

Any other technical suggestions to resolve this would be welcome.

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

I suggest you contact customer service.
Already did. Just asking if anyone else had any ideas on how to resolve this with an type of reset that I may not have tried.

The brake light malfunction error is something I recently had. Mobile service had to replace a light piece in the back. Have not had a problem since.

The brake light malfunction error is something I recently had. Mobile service had to replace a light piece in the back. Have not had a problem since.
They will probably do the same thing. My issues also has the third and regular lights not come on intermittently once the warning shows up. so they want me to drive it a little while longer and see if the latter happens.

Back