Quality Issues

I have passed 1,500 miles on my Lucid Air GT. The car, overall is excellent. There are issues that still annoy me such as the slow response in the car unlocking when I approach or the software lag and other buggy issues related to the software. I couldn't get my license plate on the rear because one of the very fine and very small screws would not come out because the nut was stripped - the tech replaced it and said this is a known problem and they are changing these soon.

When I first received the car it had issues with the frunk which was fixed. Then an issue with the driver's door not staying latched on very hot days. The service tech readjusted the striker and it fixed the issue however the door was clearly sticking out enough that it was very noticeable and wind noise came through. The tech came back out and readjusted it is now lined up well against the body but is slightly lower than the rear door. And the door closes with a very strange sound like it is not lined up well with the striker (kind of like the sound if your seat belt insert accidentally stays in the door jamb). The other doors do not make that sound.

View attachment 3939

Finally, this weekend I opened the trunk and a retainer fell out and hit the trunk deck. I sent a picture to the service tech and he immediately text me back stating:

"Hey, so that clip goes to the decklid molding that goes around where the 3rd brake light is. I will be coming back up to northern VA either this coming week or the week after that. I will come by and reinstall that for you."

Here is a picture of the piece next to the FOB for size comparison (in case anyone else found a piece like this near their car):

View attachment 3940

One thing that does stand out is Lucid's service tech. They are extremely dedicated and communicate with car owners.
yeah, if only I could get a service person to contact me. They still haven't reached out about my due bill to fix the issues I'm having, one being the soft close door not latching like yours sounds like

Last edited:
I’ve been lucky. I think that batch of March VIN/April delivery GTs have been pretty good. Yeah I’ve had a few small problems but none of them disabled the vehicle or required major work. Nothing has fallen off the car thank goodness! Has anyone with an April delivery GT had a big failure?
Yes, me

yeah, if only I could get a service person to contact me. They still haven't reached out about my due bill to fix the issues I'm having, one being the soft close door not latching like yours sounds like
What service center are you dealing with? I’ve now dealt with 3 and communication and responsiveness have always been extremely good.

You have to be proactive and if they do not respond then call the Service Number.

You have to be proactive and if they do not respond then call the Service Number.
I’ve reached out four times now. He finally asked me for a video of the issues that I noted on delivery but still have not reached out with a time to repair them

Yep Tesla sucks too in this regard.

That said, it doesn't discount that there is a clear trend over the past few months of issues building up for members who were huge fans of their Lucids now experiencing significant, sometimes dangerous issues which are quite contrary to Rawlinson's stated focus on a quality product, and the enhanced PDI processes they've purportedly implemented.

which are quite contrary to Rawlinson's stated focus on a quality product, and the enhanced PDI processes they've purportedly implemented.
Exactly! This alone is what pisses me off the most. We all criticize Elon for talking out his ass and Rawlinson is no better at the moment.

What service center are you dealing with? I’ve now dealt with 3 and communication and responsiveness have always been extremely good.
same - Seattle service has been excellent. They have bent over backwards to fix 2 things (a paint flaw, seat/interior handle squeaks) in a way that is super convenient for me (having them fetch the car just before I'm leaving for a biz trip, delivering it just after I return, with SMS progress updates along the way).

Yep Tesla sucks too in this regard.

That said, it doesn't discount that there is a clear trend over the past few months of issues building up for members who were huge fans of their Lucids now experiencing significant, sometimes dangerous issues which are quite contrary to Rawlinson's stated focus on a quality product, and the enhanced PDI processes they've purportedly implemented.
What dangerous issues, what did I miss.

Oh I do feel vindicated hearing this because I am the biggest complainer here and have had the most issues. I have also not accepted them and have made them address them post haste.

Houston Service guy told me yesterday that they are extremely busy.

They love to see photos and video with time stamps. I just keep adding them via email to my existing service request and they always respond but sometimes you have to call twice and complain harder/louder. But their response is better than most.

I have told them response without resolution is not helpful after a while.

Let’s see what the next software drop brings.

In my case the camera and the door open/lock are worse. My car even shuts off as soon as I unlock and get in on more than one occasion and I see that the door unlock is still spinning on the phone. Yesterday not even the brake taps helped. The service guy thought that the seat sensor should have recognized there was someone inside so maybe that is another issue to be addressed.

What dangerous issues, what did I miss.

Oh I do feel vindicated hearing this because I am the biggest complainer here and have had the most issues. I have also not accepted them and have made them address them post haste.

Houston Service guy told me yesterday that they are extremely busy.

They love to see photos and video with time stamps. I just keep adding them via email to my existing service request and they always respond but sometimes you have to call twice and complain harder/louder. But their response is better than most.

I have told them response without resolution is not helpful after a while.

Let’s see what the next software drop brings.

In my case the camera and the door open/lock are worse. My car even shuts off as soon as I unlock and get in on more than one occasion and I see that the door unlock is still spinning on the phone. Yesterday not even the brake taps helped. The service guy thought that the seat sensor should have recognized there was someone inside so maybe that is another issue to be addressed.
What software version are you on?

I had the same sentiment towards BMWs as you do with Lucid. I owned a 745i, 750i and a 650i. My new 745i had an awful tapping noise. It turned out that my car was the first car they identified with manufacturing defect of the engine head. They took my engine out and sent it to Germany. They would not replace my car (only two months old at that time) and I had to wait 29 days before I got my car back. That car never felt right after that. I thought it was just a freak issue and sold it got a new 750i. This car had a lot of software glitches, fit issues with the trunk, and burning an unusual amount of oil (had to top it off weekly by stopping by the dealer for free). They would not open up the engine to see what was wrong since their computer diagnostics kept coming back that all is normal. The only BMW I enjoyed completely issue free was the 650i.

With Lucid, there will be issues. Everyone that purchased a Lucid purchase a car that is completely new from a company that is new. There is no way it will be prefect and more than likely will have many issues. That is why I discouraged some of my friends from purchasing a Lucid at this time until they get better with time because I know they are expecting something perfect. Each issue that comes up allows Lucid to determine changes in the design/manufacturing process and to make future cars better. At least that is the hope and belief.

Even three years after Tesla released the Model S, the reliability of the car and quality got worse. https://www.greencarreports.com/new...y-problems-to-recommend-consumer-reports-says. I don't think this will be the same issue with Lucid just because the CEO is so obsessed with quality and has a chip on his shoulder with Tesla.

Again, I completely understand your frustrations and I can only hope that Lucid makes things right with your Air GT.

It sounds like the OP got a true lemon (although it may not, at least yet, qualify for that treatment). I feel for him.

I have a BMW PHEV (530e) and in 4.5 years it has been pretty solid (replaced the battery pack because of a bad cell at the 4 year mark -- warranty item).

I test drove the IX and I think it drove very well and it is a great car with one exception: it is so butt ugly I just can't make myself buy it.

For reference I texted Lucid customer care on a Sunday at 6pm about a few non-urgent issues (rear window trim warped and needs replacing, passenger visor mirror cover doesn’t stay up because the magnet likely slipped, front right wheel has a constant high pitch whine sound that doesn’t vary with speed). Within 3 minutes of texting them a service rep called me to get specific details and is reaching out to my local service advisor who’s gonna arrange a mobile visit in a couple days. That’s on a Sunday during non-business hours and was rapidly addressed. I realize some others have had some bad service experience, but in my experience and most others I know I really think they’re really going above and beyond and doing a great job.

For reference I texted Lucid customer care on a Sunday at 6pm about a few non-urgent issues (rear window trim warped and needs replacing, passenger visor mirror cover doesn’t stay up because the magnet likely slipped, front right wheel has a constant high pitch whine sound that doesn’t vary with speed). Within 3 minutes of texting them a service rep called me to get specific details and is reaching out to my local service advisor who’s gonna arrange a mobile visit in a couple days. That’s on a Sunday during non-business hours and was rapidly addressed. I realize some others have had some bad service experience, but in my experience and most others I know I really think they’re really going above and beyond and doing a great job.
I won't pretend to put myself in the shoes of those who have had catastrophic failures nor how I would react to not having my very expensive car for weeks on end. That being said, I have to say that my experiences with customer service and the Houston service center have always been great. They always want to help and do.

I’ve been lucky. I think that batch of March VIN/April delivery GTs have been pretty good. Yeah I’ve had a few small problems but none of them disabled the vehicle or required major work. Nothing has fallen off the car thank goodness! Has anyone with an April delivery GT had a big failure?
Good point. Early April here and no big issues either.

Holt crap, your charger port cover fell off AND your trunk makes a screech? I almost yelled BINGO when I read this because the same happened to me. Lol
@Drendino , off topic but I'm confused as your signature says you have a GT but then you also have Dream Edition (DE) #1?
Capture.JPG

Exactly! This alone is what pisses me off the most. We all criticize Elon for talking out his ass and Rawlinson is no better at the moment.
Yeah, but Tesla's customer service has been terrible for 14 years. A good friend of mine has one of the original Roadsters, and I've been hearing about it from the beginning.

This is an internet forum, so you are not going to see too many “I freaking love my car” threads, although there should be.
Somebody start this thread and I will chime in! I freaking love this car! Hardware is a 10! Software not so much but improving! Frustrated with the software sometimes/often, yes! With the hardware? Never. It does not minimize the pain I feel for the few others who have had catastrophic issues that I pray get resolved &/OR Lucid makes them whole with a replacement vehicle!

Back