Quality Issues

zkhan2

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
I have passed 1,500 miles on my Lucid Air GT. The car, overall is excellent. There are issues that still annoy me such as the slow response in the car unlocking when I approach or the software lag and other buggy issues related to the software. I couldn't get my license plate on the rear because one of the very fine and very small screws would not come out because the nut was stripped - the tech replaced it and said this is a known problem and they are changing these soon.

When I first received the car it had issues with the frunk which was fixed. Then an issue with the driver's door not staying latched on very hot days. The service tech readjusted the striker and it fixed the issue however the door was clearly sticking out enough that it was very noticeable and wind noise came through. The tech came back out and readjusted it is now lined up well against the body but is slightly lower than the rear door. And the door closes with a very strange sound like it is not lined up well with the striker (kind of like the sound if your seat belt insert accidentally stays in the door jamb). The other doors do not make that sound.

IMG_1711 copy.jpg

Finally, this weekend I opened the trunk and a retainer fell out and hit the trunk deck. I sent a picture to the service tech and he immediately text me back stating:

"Hey, so that clip goes to the decklid molding that goes around where the 3rd brake light is. I will be coming back up to northern VA either this coming week or the week after that. I will come by and reinstall that for you."

Here is a picture of the piece next to the FOB for size comparison (in case anyone else found a piece like this near their car):

IMG_1713.jpg

One thing that does stand out is Lucid's service tech. They are extremely dedicated and communicate with car owners.

I’m having also a lot of quality issues in my car as well. When I got home from picking up my new car the rear bumper came off on the drivers side. My trunk makes a weird noise when opens and sometimes needs to close manually. They tried to fix again for a second time and scratched the molding along the trunk and still left same noise. Then the charge porter cover felt off; not to mention that my A/C just shuts off in the middle of a ride and comes backs on like 10 to 15 minutes later; enough to scorch someone in this hot weather. Tech came over and was able to only fix bumper. Went on vacation and left car at Service Center so they will have time to check everything out. Car came back with all same issues and to find out my car was driven at night when the car was supposed to be in the shop (as per Lucid phone app). And forgot, while using park assist doing a parallel parking the car drove against the curb scratching both of the wheels on passenger side. Trying to escalate this to upper management but no one seems to care. Always get the same response that there is not a supervisor available; that service manager works out of home and is never in office and that someone will call me back. Still waiting for that phone call ☎️ and in the meantime I’m driving a piece of junk with missing parts that makes Lucid looks awful when someone sees a nice car like that falling apart in pieces.

Thanks for the advise. Will try reaching out at him tomorrow.

I’m having also a lot of quality issues in my car as well. When I got home from picking up my new car the rear bumper came off on the drivers side. My trunk makes a weird noise when opens and sometimes needs to close manually. They tried to fix again for a second time and scratched the molding along the trunk and still left same noise. Then the charge porter cover felt off; not to mention that my A/C just shuts off in the middle of a ride and comes backs on like 10 to 15 minutes later; enough to scorch someone in this hot weather. Tech came over and was able to only fix bumper. Went on vacation and left car at Service Center so they will have time to check everything out. Car came back with all same issues and to find out my car was driven at night when the car was supposed to be in the shop (as per Lucid phone app). And forgot, while using park assist doing a parallel parking the car drove against the curb scratching both of the wheels on passenger side. Trying to escalate this to upper management but no one seems to care. Always get the same response that there is not a supervisor available; that service manager works out of home and is never in office and that someone will call me back. Still waiting for that phone call ☎️ and in the meantime I’m driving a piece of junk with missing parts that makes Lucid looks awful when someone sees a nice car like that falling apart in pieces.
Holt crap, your charger port cover fell off AND your trunk makes a screech? I almost yelled BINGO when I read this because the same happened to me. Lol

They replaced the cover today and the paint blends perfectly. They need to bring the car in to fix the trunk. It’s an easy fix and just needs an adjustment of the surrounding trim. Sucks that it was missed in PDI.

Sorry you are having a poor experience with customer service. It’s embarrassing driving around with missing parts. What’s the name of the Lucid employee that is on this forum. Maybe someone can tag that person?

Bumper and charge port door falling off, car “bricking,” doors not opening, air conditioning on and off, trunk liner issues, software glitches - as one who is still waiting, all these issues are piling up as I read owner’s reports and it is worrisome. I reserved and confirmed my Pure because of my confidence In Rawlinson and his commitment to quality engineering and manufacturing. Parts, falling off , car refusing to run, etc., etc. - a friend of mine bought all those issues but at a much lower price point when he purchased his Yugo! The Air is beginning to sound like a car assembled by the Keystone Cops. I don’t want to experience buyer’s remorse, so I am sitting on the fence right now. Customer service sounds great, but I don’t want to be a regular acquaintance even if they have a coffee machine in the service vehicle. What is keeping me committed right now is range and charging speed. There is no equal for that combination. I guess I am looking for some reassurance that this isn’t a horrible purchase decision.

Bumper and charge port door falling off, car “bricking,” doors not opening, air conditioning on and off, trunk liner issues, software glitches - as one who is still waiting, all these issues are piling up as I read owner’s reports and it is worrisome. I reserved and confirmed my Pure because of my confidence In Rawlinson and his commitment to quality engineering and manufacturing. Parts, falling off , car refusing to run, etc., etc. - a friend of mine bought all those issues but at a much lower price point when he purchased his Yugo! The Air is beginning to sound like a car assembled by the Keystone Cops. I don’t want to experience buyer’s remorse, so I am sitting on the fence right now. Customer service sounds great, but I don’t want to be a regular acquaintance even if they have a coffee machine in the service vehicle. What is keeping me committed right now is range and charging speed. There is no equal for that combination. I guess I am looking for some reassurance that this isn’t a horrible purchase decision.
YMMV…

I have no buyer remorse for my AGT. It is far better driving experience than what I drove over the decades with mid level MB, VW, BMW & Porsche. And I still think Honda Accord is the best value commuter. But $ for $ for EV, I think this car worth than Tesla in ride quality, handling, customer service, superior interior, basically everything except software that is still evolving.

Although Pure is yet out, if you put that next to Model-Y for same price range, I would pick Pure every time.

YMMV…

I have no buyer remorse for my AGT. It is far better driving experience than what I drove over the decades with mid level MB, VW, BMW & Porsche. And I still think Honda Accord is the best value commuter. But $ for $ for EV, I think this car worth than Tesla in ride quality, handling, customer service, superior interior, basically everything except software that is still evolving.

Although Pure is yet out, if you put that next to Model-Y for same price range, I would pick Pure every time.
Thanks

The majority of the issues fall under the annoyance or minor inconvenience category. Most of us understood going in that there would be short turn issues and accept them because of how remarkable a driving experience the car provides. It still sucks when a car is in for service, but I consider it a privilege to own this car and have full faith that the ownership experience will only improve.

This is an internet forum, so you are not going to see too many “I freaking love my car” threads, although there should be.

Holt crap, your charger port cover fell off AND your trunk makes a screech? I almost yelled BINGO when I read this because the same happened to me. Lol

They replaced the cover today and the paint blends perfectly. They need to bring the car in to fix the trunk. It’s an easy fix and just needs an adjustment of the surrounding trim. Sucks that it was missed in PDI.

Sorry you are having a poor experience with customer service. It’s embarrassing driving around with missing parts. What’s the name of the Lucid employee that is on this forum. Maybe someone can tag that person?
My trunk squeaks when it gets too hot, the arms rub against the rubber. It goes away during cooler weather so I could understand how it could be missed during PDI because unless the car is sitting in the sun, it won't happen for me. Just my 2 cents on the trunk thing.

I consider it a privilege to own this car
I don’t when your car is in the shop for coming up to 4 weeks and Lucid can’t explain what’s wrong with it.

I don’t when your car is in the shop for coming up to 4 weeks and Lucid can’t explain what’s wrong with it.
I said most have minor problems. You are the exception obviously and I’m sure I would feel just as frustrated if the same happened to me.

My trunk squeaks when it gets too hot, the arms rub against the rubber. It goes away during cooler weather so I could understand how it could be missed during PDI because unless the car is sitting in the sun, it won't happen for me. Just my 2 cents on the trunk thing.
Probably a good idea to have them fix it now rather than later. It shouldn’t be happening, hot or cold. I’m told it’s a simple fix, caused by the trim rubbing against the opening hinge. Enough of them have had this problem that they should be catching it in PDI going forward. Im told that it’s one of the most common service requests.

Probably a good idea to have them fix it now rather than later. It shouldn’t be happening, hot or cold. I’m told it’s a simple fix, caused by the trim rubbing against the opening hinge. Enough of them have had this problem that they should be catching it in PDI going forward. Im told that it’s one of the most common service requests.
Yea they did, on the driver side. It's happening on passenger side now. I just have it on the list of minor things I will have them address next time something more problematic comes up.

Yea they did, on the driver side. It's happening on passenger side now. I just have it on the list of minor things I will have them address next time something more problematic comes up.
That’s a good idea. They are supposed to do mine after tint and PPF later this week, but maybe I’ll have them do it when something else comes up. Hate to be without the car if I can avoid it.

That’s a good idea. They are supposed to do mine after tint and PPF later this week, but maybe I’ll have them do it when something else comes up. Hate to be without the car if I can avoid it.
They did a mobile service for that squeak. Was the same time they handled the first recall. Basically, they out some lube on the thing and shaved a few mm from the rubber lol.

They did a mobile service for that squeak. Was the same time they handled the first recall. Basically, they out some lube on the thing and shaved a few mm from the rubber lol.
Interesting. I asked my guy if he could do that, but he thought it would not look professional to cut around it on the spot. Mine is more of a screech than squeak, but like you it’s not every time.

I had totally regret purchasing this car. Had owned BMW’s for years and only took them in for regular service and never for manufacturing or software issues. This is totally embarrassing when you drive a car in this price range. Taking a car more than once so have same issues repaired is totally unacceptable. If Lucid don’t improve their quality and customer service response; don’t see them around for too long. Very sad that having such a good product; management don’t care about their image and their brand.

I had totally regret purchasing this car. Had owned BMW’s for years and only took them in for regular service and never for manufacturing or software issues. This is totally embarrassing when you drive a car in this price range. Taking a car more than once so have same issues repaired is totally unacceptable. If Lucid don’t improve their quality and customer service response; don’t see them around for too long. Very sad that having such a good product; management don’t care about their image and their brand.
I had the same sentiment towards BMWs as you do with Lucid. I owned a 745i, 750i and a 650i. My new 745i had an awful tapping noise. It turned out that my car was the first car they identified with manufacturing defect of the engine head. They took my engine out and sent it to Germany. They would not replace my car (only two months old at that time) and I had to wait 29 days before I got my car back. That car never felt right after that. I thought it was just a freak issue and sold it got a new 750i. This car had a lot of software glitches, fit issues with the trunk, and burning an unusual amount of oil (had to top it off weekly by stopping by the dealer for free). They would not open up the engine to see what was wrong since their computer diagnostics kept coming back that all is normal. The only BMW I enjoyed completely issue free was the 650i.

With Lucid, there will be issues. Everyone that purchased a Lucid purchase a car that is completely new from a company that is new. There is no way it will be prefect and more than likely will have many issues. That is why I discouraged some of my friends from purchasing a Lucid at this time until they get better with time because I know they are expecting something perfect. Each issue that comes up allows Lucid to determine changes in the design/manufacturing process and to make future cars better. At least that is the hope and belief.

Even three years after Tesla released the Model S, the reliability of the car and quality got worse. https://www.greencarreports.com/new...y-problems-to-recommend-consumer-reports-says. I don't think this will be the same issue with Lucid just because the CEO is so obsessed with quality and has a chip on his shoulder with Tesla.

Again, I completely understand your frustrations and I can only hope that Lucid makes things right with your Air GT.

With Lucid, there will be issues. Everyone that purchased a Lucid purchase a car that is completely new from a company that is new. There is no way it will be prefect and more than likely will have many issues. That is why I discouraged some of my friends from purchasing a Lucid at this time until they get better with time because I know they are expecting something perfect. Each issue that comes up allows Lucid to determine changes in the design/manufacturing process and to make future cars better.
I agree, being an early adopter is not for everyone. For me, the trade off for receiving it at a discounted price and with the benefit of the tax credit outweighs the inconveniences. A lot of people would be better off waiting a year or two and 2 or 3 more price increases for the benefit of purchasing a car with less issues. To each is own.

I’ve been lucky. I think that batch of March VIN/April delivery GTs have been pretty good. Yeah I’ve had a few small problems but none of them disabled the vehicle or required major work. Nothing has fallen off the car thank goodness! Has anyone with an April delivery GT had a big failure?

Back