Quality Issues

This thing is so shockingly good on the road, and at range and charging, that I've come to accept and almost laugh at the software trip-ups.
I also find myself oddly amused by the software bugs. One day the seats just start going all the way back as if I set the car for me to drive lying down. Another day I open the nav and it's zoomed out to the entire country. Okay? Pretty random. But...it adds an element of surprise to mundane tasks?
For me I think the compensatory factor is: this is the first car I've ever owned that's getting better with time (i.e., OTAs). I've never had that before. I liked my Audi Q7 very much, and still do, but four years later it's just a slightly more worn version of the car I bought. That's it. Whereas the Lucid is an amazing car today and it's going to be even better in six months, one year, ...
It also helps if you have a case of I-paid-how-much-for-a-car? amnesia.

They just need to re-write the entire software. I think this patch job is just creating more issues. Has any issue even been resolved in the last 5 updates?

They just need to re-write the entire software. I think this patch job is just creating more issues. Has any issue even been resolved in the last 5 updates?
They *are* rewriting the software. And lots of issues have been fixed in the last few updates, including range calculation and power distribution, as well as sat imagery for nav, reordering nav waypoints, filtering for EA stations, etc.

I suspect some of the decisions, such as the 10 minute limit on open lids, were made to protect the integrity of the 12V system.

Well, that makes more sense than what Lucid told me: that the limit was there in case you needed to leave the lids open for a long time to load things into the car.

But if it is to protect the integrity of the 12V system, why would the automatic close feature not reset when the car is powered back up for a drive?

So recently my car had a rattling steering wheel. It wouldn't go away and service came out to check it. Seeing the other posts I figured it was something plastic that needed a quick fix. They said the entire steering wheel and column has to be replaced, and at least a 6 week wait for it if not longer. Go figure.

So recently my car had a rattling steering wheel. It wouldn't go away and service came out to check it. Seeing the other posts I figured it was something plastic that needed a quick fix. They said the entire steering wheel and column has to be replaced, and at least a 6 week wait for it if not longer. Go figure.
Rattling is new...it's usually the squeaking that was a quick fix.

not sure where to post this. i wonder if we should create a common thread to post issues from current owners.

so i ran into a door issue today. I was about to back out of my parking spot when Lucid complained about a door being open. I noticed that the rear driver side's handle is out while the rest of the doors' handles were 'tucked in' (flush with exterior). i tried to pull open the door but it wouldn't budge. in the end, i entered the car through the other side and pulled really hard on the unlock knob to open the door and closed it again. i haven't noticed any issues since but it was weird.

Posted else where on forum (still learning but apologies) - in first drive my air vent pull literally flew off and hit wife in the arm. She was less than thrilled but relatively minor to what other folks have said so far.

Attachments

• F43415B0-3545-4570-96BB-8479B42447C1.jpeg
    F43415B0-3545-4570-96BB-8479B42447C1.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 0C8B2635-5C76-45BA-9C7C-08FEF2C884A3.jpeg
    0C8B2635-5C76-45BA-9C7C-08FEF2C884A3.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 115
One is the feature that keeps the car cool for 45 minutes after you exit it. If you enable that feature but get back in the car within the 45 minutes and begin driving it, the A/C still cuts off at the 45-minute mark. it's absolutely absurd to have to go into a menu to restart the A/C while you're driving. The feature should have an override once the driver gets back in the car, and most certainly once he begins driving it.
It also doesn't show in the mobile app that AC when enabling this feature. There's been times I've checked 30 mins in and the app shows that AC is off. If the AC is on is should show in the app regardless of whether you set it in the car or remotely.

When I look at some of the things they did you can tell it was rushed with little or no thought about practicality etc. A big one is not pre-conditioning the battery automatically when going to a charger. Yes, people can argue that Tesla didn't do this day 1 but Lucid should've known this was a requirement day 1 for them.

not sure where to post this. i wonder if we should create a common thread to post issues from current owners.

so i ran into a door issue today. I was about to back out of my parking spot when Lucid complained about a door being open. I noticed that the rear driver side's handle is out while the rest of the doors' handles were 'tucked in' (flush with exterior). i tried to pull open the door but it wouldn't budge. in the end, i entered the car through the other side and pulled really hard on the unlock knob to open the door and closed it again. i haven't noticed any issues since but it was weird.
I've had this happen a couple of times. Funnily enough, it happened when the same person was in the car so I told them they did something wrong when getting in the car. The handles are finicky and if people mess around with them when they're not out or try to pull them out etc. the car seems to get confused. I fixed it by just unlocking and locking a couple of times to eventually get it to go back in.

Rattling is new...it's usually the squeaking that was a quick fix.
Mine is rattling \ creaking now also. Since getting the car back i've got a rattle \ creaking in the steering wheel and creaking coming from the back somewhere. Both are intermittent just like the wind noise that comes on the the drivers side door every now and then. I'm just creating a list now to try and get them all addressed at once rather than take the car back and forth to Beverly Hills all the time. The drivers seat head rest and lumbar functions have also stopped working so the list is growing..... lol

It also doesn't show in the mobile app that AC when enabling this feature. There's been times I've checked 30 mins in and the app shows that AC is off. If the AC is on is should show in the app regardless of whether you set it in the car or remotely.

When I look at some of the things they did you can tell it was rushed with little or no thought about practicality etc. A big one is not pre-conditioning the battery automatically when going to a charger. Yes, people can argue that Tesla didn't do this day 1 but Lucid should've known this was a requirement day 1 for them.
There are a thousand things that “should’ve been day one.” Dog mode? Sentry? CarPlay? Preconditioning? Etc.

At some point, you gotta launch.

Mine is rattling \ creaking now also. Since getting the car back i've got a rattle \ creaking in the steering wheel and creaking coming from the back somewhere. Both are intermittent just like the wind noise that comes on the the drivers side door every now and then. I'm just creating a list now to try and get them all addressed at once rather than take the car back and forth to Beverly Hills all the time. The drivers seat head rest and lumbar functions have also stopped working so the list is growing..... lol
Hm, I haven’t had the same issue but making a list for the future is precisely the right approach. :) I usually also shoot the service guys a text just to keep them aware, but up to you.

Hm, I haven’t had the same issue but making a list for the future is precisely the right approach. :) I usually also shoot the service guys a text just to keep them aware, but up to you.
Yeah, they know about the seat but told them it's not a big deal to just wait for other items to pop up. I said i'd bring it in when the floor mats I ordered are ready to be picked up. For some reason, they must sheer the sheep once a month and only produce one mat at a time for you. 2 months in the back mat and passenger mat have arrived but still waiting on the drivers mat. Lucid mustn't understand the concept of putting floor mats in a SET! 😂

Yes, Lucid made several decisions about operating features of the car that so defy common sense that owners think the feature is malfunctioning when it's actually working as programmed.

One is the feature that keeps the car cool for 45 minutes after you exit it. If you enable that feature but get back in the car within the 45 minutes and begin driving it, the A/C still cuts off at the 45-minute mark. it's absolutely absurd to have to go into a menu to restart the A/C while you're driving. The feature should have an override once the driver gets back in the car, and most certainly once he begins driving it.

Another is the automatic close feature on the trunk and the frunk. If you leave the lids open more than 10 minutes (such as when letting water drain away after a car wash), the automatic close feature times out, requiring you to close the lids manually. The automatic close does not reset when you start the car. It only resets by manually closing the lids.

So many software features having bad code and other features burdened by such bizarre decisions about how they should operate really combine to serve up a big helping of software nightmares with the Air.

The car is such a superb driving machine and passenger conveyance that it would actually be improved by de-featuring it instead of having so many features that malfunction or operate oddly.
I find it annoying that every time I fold down the outside mirrors before entering my garage they open up prematurely if I exceed 5mph. No thought given to this. How about resetting it to at least 10mph. Not everybody likes to crawl ahead when it is not necessary.

Minor irritation but a further example of the many decisions made without forethought.

It would have been helpful to Lucid if they gave out a half/dozen cars to potential customers for one month on a trial basis for their feedback, before releasing the car to the public.

I suspect some of the decisions, such as the 10 minute limit on open lids, were made to protect the integrity of the 12V system. The A/C on the other hand was clearly done in a lab by people that have not driven much in a hot humid miserable environment and no A/C.
The dash lip over the A/C vents preventing you from directing air to your face is another example of someone ignoring this was going to be a problem on a hot day.

A lot of this little oversights could have easily been avoided.

Not sure why they would approve that design when it was obvious it was going to obstruct air flow direction

I find it annoying that every time I fold down the outside mirrors before entering my garage they open up prematurely if I exceed 5mph. No thought given to this. How about resetting it to at least 10mph. Not everybody likes to crawl ahead when it is not necessary.

Minor irritation but a further example of the many decisions made without forethought.

It would have been helpful to Lucid if they gave out a half/dozen cars to potential customers for one month on a trial basis for their feedback, before releasing the car to the public.
…or they thought about it and decided 5mph was right. You may disagree, but attributing it to lack of forethought is mistaken; I doubt they picked a random number.

Have you emailed CS about it? Perhaps if they get enough gripes to make it 10, they’ll do so.

The dash lip over the A/C vents preventing you from directing air to your face is another example of someone ignoring this was going to be a problem on a hot day.

A lot of this little oversights could have easily been avoided.

Not sure why they would approve that design when it was obvious it was going to obstruct air flow direction
This annoys me too; oddly, my wife loves it. She turns the vents away from her face instantly upon entering the car, which annoys me when I get into it and have to readjust to point at mine haha (which you can do, just requires turning it up to 10 and carefully tracing the air; it will reflect back to the passenger if you’re not careful).

…or they thought about it and decided 5mph was right. You may disagree, but attributing it to lack of forethought is mistaken; I doubt they picked a random number.

Have you emailed CS about it? Perhaps if they get enough gripes to make it 10, they’ll do so.
Not sure the harm if they initially set it at 10MPH instead of 5MPH. What are the downsides at 10?

Not sure the harm if they initially set it at 10MPH instead of 5MPH. What are the downsides at 10?
They were likely thinking if the spot is tight enough you are worried about dinging your mirrors, you’d probably be moving very slowly.

Doesn’t mean they can’t rethink that decision. Like @borski said, let customer service know.

Back