Pulled the trigger

I think one needs to keep in mind that driving a EV now is the cheapest it will ever be. As fuel costs rise electricity cost will rise also and the government will eventually add a mileage tax to EV’s .

I think one needs to keep in mind that driving a EV now is the cheapest it will ever be. As fuel costs rise electricity cost will rise also and the government will eventually add a mileage tax to EV’s .
They have been discussing it out here in amounts of 3 cents per mile which is high. So if you equate it to a car getting 25 miles per gallon, that will be 75 cents a gallon in tax

Also as EV’s become more mainstream and show up in parking lots businesses will also cut out the free charging spots you see now at some operations.

Last edited:
Used to be on the forum for the ML SUV first generation, 20+ years ago, and from what I can recall, the intensity of the emotion expressed re. Lucid delivery process pales in comparison.

Personally, I think sharing the emotion/frustration can be looked at as a kind of group support/therapy.

Used to be on the forum for the ML SUV first generation, 20+ years ago...
Wow, I had an early ML430, still my worst new-car experience ever. After I sent Mercedes NA photos and a description of the things that went wrong with my car, they sent me a letter agreeing to never again send me marketing materials for any of their new cars. Ended up having it towed away as scrap.

Wow, I had an early ML430, still my worst new-car experience ever. Mercedes NA sent me a letter agreeing to never again send me marketing materials for any of their new cars.
Now that you are the 2nd person with ML issues, what happened to cause such a reaction?

Now that you are the 2nd person with ML issues, what happened to cause such a reaction?
Ongoing problems with rear seat that wouldn't latch down (two-year-long argument with dealer; they finally swapped in a whole new rear seat assembly), A/C control module that failed at $1000 (big money in year 2000), finger gashed and permanently tattooed on the sharp unfinished edge of the exhaust pipe while washing car (competing cars had rounded escutcheons covering the as-cut edge), automatic transmission ate its lunch and circulated most of its first-gear teeth through the AT cooling system, a $10000 fix on a car worth $7000 at the time.

@Sandvinsd - Flying into your neck of the woods tomorrow am, day in La Jolla, headed to Torrance for my test drive on Sunday; Santa Barbara, Pismo, Big Sur, Monterey, San Francisco and Mendocino after that.
Nice trip - coming through the Bay Area there are a number of folks with cars already… and even more patiently waiting ;)

Ongoing problems with rear seat that wouldn't latch down (two-year-long argument with dealer; they finally swapped in a whole new rear seat assembly), A/C control module that failed at $1000 (big money in year 2000), finger gashed and permanently tattooed on the sharp unfinished edge of the exhaust pipe while washing car (competing cars had rounded escutcheons covering the as-cut edge), automatic transmission ate its lunch and circulated most of its first-gear teeth through the AT cooling system, a $10000 fix on a car worth $7000 at the time.
In addition to too-numerous-to-count fit and finish problems, one ML suddenly died in the middle of railroad track. Even one MB shop foreman from Northern Cal joined the forum, dispensing sorely needed advice for forum members. Despite the internet and info then not being as widely accessible as now, the group managed to get the personal email of MB president to share with him our experience.:)

I'm new to this board and recently reserved a Touring model, with of course zero intel from the sales guy concerning when the car will be built. I wonder if any of you here with knowledge and experience can tell me:

1) Have all Dream Eds been built and delivered?

2) Have any GT's been built and delivered?

2) Is there any sense when Touring models will be delivered.

Many thanks...

I'm new to this board and recently reserved a Touring model, with of course zero intel from the sales guy concerning when the car will be built. I wonder if any of you here with knowledge and experience can tell me:

1) Have all Dream Eds been built and delivered?

2) Have any GT's been built and delivered?

2) Is there any sense when Touring models will be delivered.

Many thanks...
1) Built - yes, delivered - no
2) yes and yes, @Adnillien and @steveairgt I believe both have GTs
3) I think our best collective guess is Q4

Thanks...interesting...

So if Lucid has 25,000 "orders" and has fulfilled, say 1,000, am I #24,000 in line? Or higher because Tourings will be fulfilled before Pures?

And does anyone know how the total number of orders is disbursed among the remaining three models?

Thanks...interesting...

So if Lucid has 25,000 "orders" and has fulfilled, say 1,000, am I #24,000 in line? Or higher because Tourings will be fulfilled before Pures?

And does anyone know how the total number of orders is disbursed among the remaining three models?

It's interesting wording, Lucid will begin production of the Tourings before the Pure and likely try to fulfill most of the orders before beginning Pure production.

I don't know the exact schedule for those ordering Tourings right now but I would imagine if you are late to the game for a Touring (ie. after they begun production) it's likely (just a prediction) others will get their Pures first.

As for dispersion, we don't know numbers. We have heard that it is Pure orders > GT orders > Touring orders.

This presents a serious dilemma for Lucid, and while I admire the concept and product greatly, I might not stick around for the execution phase.

They claim 25,000 (non-binding) orders but they cut back production estimates every quarter. Meanwhile the competition inches ahead, and the 1000 cars they've delivered are showing glitches (if this thing turns into Fisker, will the Saudis honor the warranties?)

The sheer cost of supporting the (glitchy?) next 1000 cars could exceed their sale prices...meanwhile they're diluting talent and capital to build a Saudi factory(?) Yikes! crush it here first!!

The "rational" buyer (which I confess I'm not) would NOT risk $100k+ just to have a seat at the poker table. The "smart" play is to sit back for 2 years and let it play out. (Let the investors pony up before I do)

I take no pride in saying I'm in this because I'm a "car guy". I don't pretend for one minute I'm saving one inch of the planet by paying 2X for an EV. No..I've always been a sucker for the next great thing...the next irresistible design...the next (affordable) 0-60.

But this can't turn out to be the next Nehru Jacket...at least not for me.

For those of us with confirmed orders if we walk away now I assume we loose our $1000 deposit. True?

This presents a serious dilemma for Lucid, and while I admire the concept and product greatly, I might not stick around for the execution phase.

They claim 25,000 (non-binding) orders but they cut back production estimates every quarter. Meanwhile the competition inches ahead, and the 1000 cars they've delivered are showing glitches (if this thing turns into Fisker, will the Saudis honor the warranties?)

The glitches are just software bugs and don’t affect the driving; they are inconveniences/annoyances, not major issues. Also, Lucid is not “the Saudis” and we have no reason to suspect they won’t honor their warranties, regardless of who their investors are.

The sheer cost of supporting the (glitchy?) next 1000 cars could exceed their sale prices...meanwhile they're diluting talent and capital to build a Saudi factory(?) Yikes! crush it here first!!

At the scale of what they need to build, they are betting on attacking the EMEA market quickly; particularly, I suspect they’ll launch the “executive” rear seating option there first.

The "rational" buyer (which I confess I'm not) would NOT risk $100k+ just to have a seat at the poker table. The "smart" play is to sit back for 2 years and let it play out. (Let the investors pony up before I do)

This, I agree with. But I’ve rarely been called rational :)

Back