Pros and cons

Thealist

Hi all,

I’m about to pull the trigger on a Grand Touring, and was hoping to hear what the pros and cons are. I’m coming from a Tesla, and wondered if anyone who has the GT, could share their thoughts.

For me, coming from a Model 3 performance, the Air is better in every way except two:

1 The Air's native navigation app ("HERE" maps) is weak and sometimes untrustworthy. Until this is fixed, you'll want to use your iPhone with Carplay and Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze. No Android Auto support or native Google Maps app has been announced.

2) Auto lanekeeping works very well, but you'll have to put up with Tesla fans deriding it as not "Full Self Driving".

Agreed with everything @DeaneG wrote.

If charging, especially on road trips, is one of your concern, go with a Tesla.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that, it depends on what trips and where you live.
Trust me, if you saw the line of cars and the pain people went through at CCS charging station during last Thanksgiving traveling, you'll will get pain.

Trust me, if you saw the line of cars and the pain people went through at CCS charging station during last Thanksgiving traveling, you'll will get pain.
Thanksgiving travel charging had long wait times. 1 hour wait on Sunday before Thanksgiving with 2/9 chargers down. 2 hour wait on Sunday after Thanksgiving with 3/6 chargers down.

I waited 1hr in Redding last Sunday. It was the first time I had to wait so long but on the bright side Lucid Air charged much faster than the other car that was at the same charging station and offered more range than others' cars.

I don't mind once or twice a year 1hr waiting.

Yeah, Thanksgiving is a bit of an outlier. I do wish there were more chargers so that waiting never happens. But I’ve only pulled up to full chargers twice so far, and both times I had easy alternatives I used instead nearby.

We've taken our Lucid and our other CCS EV on several ~1000-mile road trips and had a great time. IMO the possibility of occasional CCS hassle is worth the tradeoff to be able to drive a better car every day. And this will be completely moot within 12-18 months as more than $5 billion is deployed into CCS infrastructure, and as Tesla opens up to other automakers.

I should add that another forum member just drove his Pure from Montreal to California with few charging issues. It wasn't a big deal.

If charging, especially on road trips, is one of your concern, go with a Tesla

After 13 months and 15000 miles with a 2000 mile cross country trip and zero charging problems I encourage prospective owners to focus on the multiple amazing attributes of the AGT. I agree with everything that @DeaneG related.

Agree with you - especially in the Midwest. Just an example, one place I was at today had 4 EA Chargers and there was a wait. Across the street there were 12 Tesla Chargers and only one Tesla. At least in our area, EA is very sporadic and not reliable. If time is a premium and you travel, you definitely have to consider the charging network. If mostly charge at home, then no biggie.

We've taken our Lucid and our other CCS EV on several ~1000-mile road trips and had a great time. IMO the possibility of occasional CCS hassle is worth the tradeoff to be able to drive a better car every day. And this will be completely moot within 12-18 months as more than $5 billion is deployed into CCS infrastructure, and as Tesla opens up to other automakers.
I was just about to type this.

. IMO the possibility of occasional CCS hassle is worth the tradeoff to be able to drive a better car every day.
Funny that we use the word tradeoff when talking about EV cars. What decision in life is not?

When I graduated university, I bought a used 1972 911E. When I drove to Boston or NYC, I had to make detailed arrangements for a safe place to park. Sometimes it was a real pain. Took work. Not once did anyone ever say or did I ever think: is it worth the trade off of a parking hassle to drive a 911 as opposed to buying a Datsun. Which I could park anywhere. It was a privilege to drive Albert (royal Albert blue 911).

Similarly, I consider it a privilege to own and drive my Lucid.

Back