Pros and Cons of each wheel size?

Tesla2.0

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
F0ZQ8SWA
What are pros and cons of each size of wheel? I like to know the details. I have 21”, when asked by my SA that if I’m not too concerned about the range, go for 21”.

I like the look of the 21’s. The loss of 50 miles of range compared to the 19’s is minor in my opinion since I could easily burn an extra 50 miles of range within an hour of mildly spirited driving style.

21” - looks better, less range, feels the road more (pro or con depending on your view), sticks to the ground more on turns and high accelerations, more likely to be dented by a deep pothole, more likely to get curb rash. Summer tires mean worse for snow.

19” - thicker sidewall means more range, feels road slightly less (a bit more floaty), spins (but stays planted due to traction control) in launch mode or high acceleration, looks worse, less likely to be dented or get curb rash. All season tires, so better for snow.

20” - no idea, I don’t have them :)

21” - looks better, less range, feels the road more (pro or con depending on your view), sticks to the ground more on turns and high accelerations, more likely to be dented by a deep pothole, more likely to get curb rash. Summer tires mean worse for snow.

19” - thicker sidewall means more range, feels road slightly less (a bit more floaty), spins (but stays planted due to traction control) in launch mode or high acceleration, looks worse, less likely to be dented or get curb rash. All season tires, so better for snow.

20” - no idea, I don’t have them :)
Can they be interchangeable? What I mean is I don’t need to mod suspension lift to change 21” to 19”, right? I do like 21” look. they looks like serious racing tires.

Can they be interchangeable? What I mean is I don’t need to mod suspension lift to change 21” to 19”, right? I do like 21” look. they looks like serious racing tires.
I have both, and they are. Lucid service has to come out to swap a couple minor software settings (for now) when you change them, but nothing serious other than lift, swap, software adjustment.

21 inch. Harsher ride, better handling, looks great

19 inch. Softer ride, more range, butt ugly

Stopping distance is much shorter with the 21s, if sudden braking is a concern. This is covered in another thread--- 19" vs 21".

Stopping distance is much shorter with the 21s, if sudden braking is a concern. This is covered in another thread--- 19" vs 21".
Do you notice a big difference in the stopping distance just using high regen?

Also I believe that the tires on the 20" and 21" wheels are summer-only tires and are not usable below 40F.
I'm guessing that range on the 20" wheels will be closer to that of the 21's, notably worse than midway between 19" and 21" wheels, due to the summer-only performance (stickier) tires on both the 20 and 21. It's normal to see a 10-15% drop in EV range going from efficient all-season tires to sticky summer-only performance tires.

Last edited:
21 inch. Harsher ride, better handling, looks great

19 inch. Softer ride, more range, butt ugly
Haha the 19s are ok in person…until you see the 20s and 21s. But I’m happy with my 19s for all season/range reasons.

Do you notice a big difference in the stopping distance just using high regen?
I don’t, you just gotta time that last 20 feet right. I’ve had to use my brakes to stop I think 3 times total.

21s are wider, the motors can only regen at a certain rate vs physically putting the brakes on a wider tire, makes sense!

21s are wider, the motors can only regen at a certain rate vs physically putting the brakes on a wider tire, makes sense!
Don’t the brakes go on the rotor? I don’t think that is affected by rim/tire size.

Don’t the brakes go on the rotor? I don’t think that is affected by rim/tire size.
No, but more rubber=more resistance

Yes but what hydbob is saying is that the wider "stickier" tires on the 21" wheels will stop quicker than the All Season tires on the 19" wheels.

Ah I see. He didn’t mean directly. I was mistaken.

For those of you with 21” wheels, how do you like the ride? I’m doing a test drive on Monday in LA and am anxious to see how the car rides. I’ve never had low profile tires on any vehicle, but really like the look of that 21s.

Back