Pros and Cons of each wheel size?

For those of you with 21” wheels, how do you like the ride? I’m doing a test drive on Monday in LA and am anxious to see how the car rides. I’ve never had low profile tires on any vehicle, but really like the look of that 21s.
I have the Dream P with the 21" wheels. I find the ride very smooth, comfortable, and quiet. My previous car (2018 Panamera E-Hybrid) had the Pirelli P7 All Season tires on 21" wheels. They were also fairly quiet (the Dream PZeros are quieter) and a little harsher than the Dream.

I drove a pre-production Air GT with the 19-inch wheels at the West Palm Beach Studio and then, about 1-1/2 months later, a pre-production Air GT with the 21-inch wheels at the Miami Studio. I honestly didn't notice any ride deterioration issues with the 21-inch wheels. Of course, different cars on different roads 1-1/2 months apart. Nevertheless, on South Florida non-potholed roads, I thought the ride with the 21-inch wheels was just fine. Confirmed my decision to go with the 21-inch wheels on my car.

I have the Dream P with the 21" wheels. I find the ride very smooth, comfortable, and quiet. My previous car (2018 Panamera E-Hybrid) had the Pirelli P7 All Season tires on 21" wheels. They were also fairly quiet (the Dream PZeros are quieter) and a little harsher than the Dream.
Like @SaratogaLefty I have 21”

I have not driven the 20 or 19… and based on how the 21” drives, I see no need to.
saying that, as I get closer to winter and ski season, I might look to get some 19”s for snow tyres

I got the 19s cuz I needed All Season because of the New England winters and 100% chance of hitting at least one pothole daily. I’m undecided if I like them yet. Probably will do Michelin or Continental with the next set of tires. The Pirellis are quieter over bumps than Michelins I had on my old car, but have a resonant whine to them I don’t like above 40mph. Obviously the 20s and 21s look better but the 19 look good in person and the range benefit is really significant.

I don’t, you just gotta time that last 20 feet right. I’ve had to use my brakes to stop I think 3 times total.
That is true regarding the last 20 feet when we can plan, but stopping distance looms much larger in an unforeseen situation. In that few moments before impact, one would gladly take stopping capability over ride comfort or range. If Edmunds is right and the 19" wheels have a 60-0 stopping distance of 129 feet, I will go for the 20" wheels and mount winter tires in November through March. FWIW, most professional drivers prefer good braking distance and minimum fade more than acceleration given similar balance and suspension. Further, I understand that the 19's are less stable in corners, which is just physics as the tire contact patch and aspect ratio are key.

For those of you with 21” wheels, how do you like the ride? I’m doing a test drive on Monday in LA and am anxious to see how the car rides. I’ve never had low profile tires on any vehicle, but really like the look of that 21s.
I’ve only done a test drive with the 21s. I currently run turbo 20 inch wheels on my Porsche, which has air suspension. With my Porsche I feel every bump in the road, so the GTS even with 21s felt like driving a Lexus with attitude (if that makes any sense). I think a lot of this has to do with the spring suspension and coming off the Porsche as my daily driver it felt much smoother than what I have been used to.

At first I was disappointed that the Air has spring suspension, but after driving it I feel that it was the right decision for the car. I live in California and feel that the 21s are perfect for the climate.

I like the look of the 21’s. The loss of 50 miles of range compared to the 19’s is minor in my opinion since I could easily burn an extra 50 miles of range within an hour of mildly spirited driving style.
I like the look of the 21s too but felt it was too much of a loss of range so that’s why I opted for the 20s. I don’t mind waiting a little bit longer.

I like the look of the 21s too but felt it was too much of a loss of range so that’s why I opted for the 20s. I don’t mind waiting a little bit longer.
I was going to spec the 20" wheels in my order confirmation, but today learned that they will not be available until Q4, which of course could be late December. Therefore, I will specify the 21" wheels and buy a set of 19" wheels/tires if winter compound 21" tires are not available by Oct.

I was going to spec the 20" wheels in my order confirmation, but today learned that they will not be available until Q4, which of course could be late December. Therefore, I will specify the 21" wheels and buy a set of 19" wheels/tires if winter compound 21" tires are not available by Oct.
Wow that's surprising. Did they say why? I spoke with my DA last week and he didn't mention an additional delay. I was hoping for July/Aug. I really don't want the 21" wheels. I guess I'll have to wait longer. I wonder what the issue is. It would be nice for them to say.

Edit: I just called my DA. He had no idea that it changed. While I was on the phone with him he looked up on his system and sure enough said that there was an internal update issued 2 days ago that the 20" is now Q4. No mention about why. He thanked me for letting him know. Amazing, huh? I told him I would really like to know why. He said that he would do some digging to find out why is there an additional delay and they he would get back to me this Friday.

Maybe someone else can ask their DA the same question. Clearly not all DAs are in the loop or as up to date as others.
thanks

Last edited:
Wow that's surprising. Did they say why? I spoke with my DA last week and he didn't mention an additional delay. I was hoping for July/Aug. I really don't want the 21" wheels. I guess I'll have to wait longer. I wonder what the issue is. It would be nice for them to say.
thanks
I saw the changed ETA on the Lucid website this morning that the 20" wheels will not be available until Q4. Coincidentally, I spoke with my DA this morning and he checked and confirmed the Q4 delivery of 20" wheels. I was planning on a late Q3 delivery of my CS/SC AGT in the hope that Lucid will successfully address the multiple software concerns by late summer. The Cosmos Silver delay is attributed to unsatisfactory paint quality and match from sub-contractors who supply painted parts. Also learned that the PDI protocol has become more rigorous, which to me is good news. None of these delays are surprising. As noted in other comments, the intense, reportedly very satisfactory customer service required to correct defects or other problems is not a sustainable model once more cars are delivered.

I finally had a test drive yesterday and was impressed on many levels. This car is so much better in design, quality and road feel than either of my Teslas. As for the 21” wheels, after the drive I now have no hesitation on getting them. I too had thought about waiting on the 20” wheels, but the ride and handling the 21s was great. Thanks to everyone on the feedback on the different wheels.

I finally had a test drive yesterday and was impressed on many levels. This car is so much better in design, quality and road feel than either of my Teslas. As for the 21” wheels, after the drive I now have no hesitation on getting them. I too had thought about waiting on the 20” wheels, but the ride and handling the 21s was great. Thanks to everyone on the feedback on the different wheels.
My only objection to the 21” is the 50 miles loss of range. I felt that the 20” would be a good middle ground.

With the 20”being delayed now a third time I’m wondering what’s the reason and if they will ever be available.

Good to learn our perspective on the 21" wheels after the test drive. Seems that I will have to wait for some indeterminant time to test drive an AGT in Massachusetts, but my DA will inform me of the nearest test drive availability.

My only objection to the 21” is the 50 miles loss of range. I felt that the 20” would be a good middle ground.

With the 20”being delayed now a third time I’m wondering what’s the reason and if they will ever be available.

Even with 10% loss for 21”, at 463 miles, it is still 1/3 to 1/4 more range than All Tesla model’s long range version.

I thought so too until I realized that the stickier tires on the 20s should put it closer in range to the 21s, not midway between the 19 and 21. But I'm sticking with my choice of 20".

I thought so too until I realized that the stickier tires on the 20s should put it closer in range to the 21s, not midway between the 19 and 21. But I'm sticking with my choice of 20".
I also wonder why they have not announced any EPA numbers for the 20”.. is that a bad sign or maybe an indication that’s it’s not even close to being delivered

I also wonder why they have not announced any EPA numbers for the 20”.. is that a bad sign or maybe an indication that’s it’s not even close to being delivered
Could be because they haven't been able to get tires yet.

Back