problems and glitches

The notorious orange drips and the residue on the cardboard does feel oily.
A3AB2BCC-2D65-4D60-992B-14E749F8095A.png

See here if you want to see a better representation of the volume before clean-up.

I've been reading the lists of Lucid problems posted on this forum and I'm astounded. I understand that a new company will undergo problems. All products have a few glitches that the manufacturer usually corrects in the first few months. (Except for Microsoft WIndows, of course.) I can't quite comprehend the quantity of faults posted by people driving $150,000 Lucid vehicles. How can Lucid send so many cars out the door with so many issues? I put down my deposit for an Air Pure last October. Lucid claims the Pure will start rolling at the end of this year. As much as I desire my Pure, I'd rather wait an extra few months for Lucid to get its act together. I don't want a car that I must reboot to change radio stations or open the garage door.

I’ll try not to make this too long, but it’s probably gonna be too long. The real “problems” I’ve had are pretty minor in my 3,700 mile car.
-vibration in the front right tire on delivery that turned out to need a redo of the road force balance, now no problems.
-a water leak that may have been caused by a mishap of closing the seatbelt in the soft-close door, wasn’t reproducible and holy crap Lucid tried everything to reproduce it.
-it looks like the panel under the rear window to the right of the center brake light has warped with the extreme heat outside. I’ll have service examine it when the car is due for service next April, since it’s not breaking any seals and you have to look for it to notice it it’s not worth a lengthy service visit for me right now.

That’s it. EVERYTHING else has been software glitches that are inconsistent and yes irritating, but always fixed with a reboot (or two in one instance when the car got stuck in roll mode ☹️), and some have disappeared with OTA, while others happen occasionally (my car had severely limited torque ONE time, fixed by a reboot, and the 1.2.75 OTA just addressed that problem, audio streaming quality was a problem, fixed by 1.2.6, lane keep assist was too aggressive, fixed in 1.2.75, door handles were initially much more unpredictable, fixed in 1.2.1 and I’ve almost never had a door handle presenting problem since then, navigation was embarrassingly limited but fixed in a big way in 1.2.6, you get the drift, they are listening to us and making the car better, in fact they’ve asked me on the phone before for suggestions for improvement to pass to software engineers). Got a problem with the Porsche Taycan software? Good luck man, they don’t care and OTA has to be done at a dealer and it takes DAYS.

I love the car, look forward to driving it as much as possible and have trusted it on several road trips and it’s never failed me. The CAR part about the car is so damn good that I’ll tolerate the software imperfections. It drives like silk or like a bullet, the choice is yours. It goes farther and charges faster than any EV you can buy right now, in fact it goes TWICE as far as a Taycan or Rivian. This thing is amazing to drive at night too, best headlights I’ve ever seen. I know some people say some of the flaws are “unacceptable”, but I guess I’m just more easy going about that stuff? Owners who have had an actual massive failure of battery or drive train (there has been a small number) do have something to be upset about, and the small number who had Frunk not latching problems should be annoyed because the Frunk is a great feature. But hey Mercedes can’t keep the EQS in stock and it doesn’t even have a Frunk.

I had another puddle under the front left side of the car that appeared to be water and evaporated with no stain on the concrete. The huge stain on the driver's side is still there and there is now a small stain on the cardboard I put under the car after I cleaned everything up. Service saw the orange tint to the fluid and really hasn't hesitated or tried to confirm anything other than something "not right".
Oh shit, didn’t see that other thread. Yeah man your mishap is bad. I feel for you and feel guilty about talking about my relatively trouble free car (relative = 2 minor service visits).

Many have said this and I echo a similar sentiment. Lucid is a car company first while Tesla a software one, so I’m not overly concerned with the software glitches, especially the advanced features. With that said, this alpha/beta level does seem to been pushed a tad early for a $150k car.

However, I am way more concerned with build quality and the hardware.

Oh shit, didn’t see that other thread. Yeah man your mishap is bad. I feel for you and feel guilty about talking about my relatively trouble free car (relative = 2 minor service visits).
No, it's good to hear there is such a thing, a relatively trouble-free car. It provides a bit of hope and reality. It's one thing to drive the car to forget the software challenges, or opportunities, but it's quite another to have this piece of art in the garage that can't be driven at all without great risk. If there is a silver lining, it happened at home and I did not have to get any serious warnings before I knew something was not right.

That being said, I got rid on my BMW M5 too quickly after the Lucid delivery, even my wife said so and she hated the M5.

Love the Isettas! Isn't there supposed to be an Isetta lookalike EV... The Microlino or something...

Y
Love the Isettas! Isn't there supposed to be an Isetta lookalike EV... The Microlino or something...
Yes, You are correct. Of all my older rebuilds everyone wants to ride in the Isetta first…
8B30D650-E6EA-42E2-B08A-DBCF10C898A7.jpeg

No, it's good to hear there is such a thing, a relatively trouble-free car. It provides a bit of hope and reality. It's one thing to drive the car to forget the software challenges, or opportunities, but it's quite another to have this piece of art in the garage that can't be driven at all without great risk. If there is a silver lining, it happened at home and I did not have to get any serious warnings before I knew something was not right.

That being said, I got rid on my BMW M5 too quickly after the Lucid delivery, even my wife said so and she hated the M5.
What stings is the Lucid suspension was tuned to be like the M5. ☹️ Hope they fix your car QUICK, bad luck man.

Quantum Grey/Mojave/21”
Ordered 1/2/21
Confirmed 11/16/21
VIN Issued 4/28/22
Delivery 7/18/2022
Back for Major Repair 7/25/2022 😭 😭 😭

@CLTGT if only it had ended with the 7/18 delivery line...at least for a period of greater than 7 days...

Well hopefully this is one of the few (or only!) service visits you'll require. Bad luck can't last forever 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

What stings is the Lucid suspension was tuned to be like the M5. ☹️ Hope they fix your car QUICK, bad luck man.
Doesn’t sound like it is going to be too quick. Lucid told me to go ahead and rent a car for two weeks and we would go from there.

Doesn’t sound like it is going to be too quick. Lucid told me to go ahead and rent a car for two weeks and we would go from there.
They really should arrange the entire thing for you, like book the reservation for you with car of your choice, Uber there and back to minimize inconvenience. They did that for me, except for the car of my choice part (first one was 50k mile BMW 3 series that reeked of weed, second one was Chrysler 300 🤬). If my car goes into service again I'm gonna be much pickier.

They really should arrange the entire thing for you, like book the reservation for you with car of your choice, Uber there and back to minimize inconvenience. They did that for me, except for the car of my choice part (first one was 50k mile BMW 3 series that reeked of weed, second one was Chrysler 300 🤬). If my car goes into service again I'm gonna be much pickier.
When my 2018 BMW 530e was in for service and they needed to replace my battery pack (note that I am NOT complaining) they had initially given me a stripped 330i. When I learned it would be in for at least a week, I asked for a loaner closer to my loaded 5 series. They had a relationship with Hertz and got me a 2018 Cadillac CTS. All the paperwork was done at the dealership and I got the car there and returned it there. That is the way it should be done. The customer should not have to front the cost and the time period is in control of the car company so it should not be time limited.

Of course, since my loaner was from Hertz, I kept getting calls from a collection guy that I had not returned the car and they were going to sue me. I told him that I had returned the car and I looked forward to the suit. Hertz really screwed up its rental software somehow.

Saying that it took Tesla 10 years to develop their software is no consolation. The biggest issue is software consistency in operation; one day ot works anotehr day it goes haywire. Example all of a sudden your rear turn signal cameras go out at the the sametime the UI and pilot panel go out.This should not be a reboot solution and hope it will resolve the matter

I got my first Model S in February 2013 with VIN ending in the 6000 range. The software was annoying for a few months, but after about a year and a half everything was pretty good. The second car I got 3.5 years later had faster hardware, higher resolution center screen, faster UI motions, etc, but was more or less the same level of stability as the old car. Since then, most of the work has been adding minor features and improving efficiencies of things. I don't get any of the FSD stuff since my hardware is old. I wouldn't trust it anyway.

I do still have to reboot the computers in my 2016 Model S about once a week for various reasons, and this software is 9.5 years on from when I took delivery of the first car. It only took them a little over a year to stabilize things to the point where I didn't constantly get annoyed by it doing weird stuff.

Back