Permanent button for Homelink

a few programable buttons would be nice, those could include homelink as an available programmable option ... maybe a small row of programmable buttons on the console screen. Perhaps even offer customers a periodic center console screen swap/upgrade for a few bucks. Kind of like an iPad has one front button, a small row of maybe 6-8 of them, where we could program the icons we like best to each individual button and action..

Last edited:
Mine has always worked, when arriving menus drops down when I am about 500-100 feet away, it also drops down when I back out of my garage and departing, with cameras on.. I "always" allow location services, is the only thing I can think of, it has worked that way since the day I got the car. Audi uses a location where you dont even have to hit a button when you arrive, instead of giving a drop down menu, it automatically opens your garage, which I think is better.. That feature can be turned on or off with Audi..
Say what??? There have been countless posts where owners (myself included) complain this sequence doesn’t happen. In fact yours is the first instance I’ve heard of where it works the way we’d like it to work. In fact this is on the wishlist survey. Can you snap a pix or take a video while this is happening?

Mine has always worked, when arriving menus drops down when I am about 500-100 feet away, it also drops down when I back out of my garage and departing, with cameras on.. I "always" allow location services, is the only thing I can think of, it has worked that way since the day I got the car. Audi uses a location where you dont even have to hit a button when you arrive, instead of giving a drop down menu, it automatically opens your garage, which I think is better.. That feature can be turned on or off with Audi..
I haven’t tried this, but one way this could work is if the garage door is programmed far from its actual location - possibly about 100 feet on the way to the garage door. The car will trigger the menu based on the further GPS location, since it will think you are heading toward your location when you travel in either direction.

The main problem with this approach is that it’s hard to actually program the car that far away, because the HomeLink range is somewhat limited. You would have to find the Goldilocks zone.

Could you please send some videos of that happening? I haven't heard of any other owners that have this functionality. Thank you.
Yeah! Mine only shows up coming into the garage. It never drops down going out of it. I'd be a lot happier if it did!!

Yeah! Mine only shows up coming into the garage. It never drops down going out of it. I'd be a lot happier if it did!!
I think regulations prohibit it from dropping down in front of the camera while in reverse. This is why we have all been wishing for an interface improvement.

It's pretty simple. Just put two programmable homelink buttons on the left panel.

I think regulations prohibit it from dropping down in front of the camera while in reverse. This is why we have all been wishing for an interface improvement.
Better yet, allow us to set an "auto" option to open and close the door when coming in/out.

In Teslas, the integration with Q-Link from Chamberlin works that way but requires an installation and a subscription. Lucid has the opportunity to do the exact same thing effortlessly given the SW integration with Homelink.

Better yet, allow us to set an "auto" option to open and close the door when coming in/out.

In Teslas, the integration with Q-Link from Chamberlin works that way but requires an installation and a subscription. Lucid has the opportunity to do the exact same thing effortlessly given the SW integration with Homelink.
Tesla does this auto open/close with HomeLink too. The MyQ subscription is not worth it if you have HomeLink but also need to be within cell or WiFi range to have it work. The thing that Lucid has going for it is that it can allow up to 15 HomeLink openers to be programmed.

I trivially installed ratgdo to control my garage door and set up a couple automations with Home Assistant.

Because ratgdo also gives you the obstruction and motion sensor data, I have an automation to close the door if neither has seen any activity for 6 minutes.

Because I installed the infinity shield, I feel super comfortable having it auto close without me there.

For opening, I don’t find tapping a couple times to be a major issue lol, but I set up an automation, also through Home Assistant, that uses the Lucid Home Assistant integration I built (and is open source), that opens the door whenever my car approaches and Home Assistant sees it as “home”.

Happy to explain more if anyone would like. It’s a little bit of tinkering, but not much, and it doesn’t take much to make your world better. :)

I trivially installed ratgdo to control my garage door and set up a couple automations with Home Assistant.

Because ratgdo also gives you the obstruction and motion sensor data, I have an automation to close the door if neither has seen any activity for 6 minutes.

Because I installed the infinity shield, I feel super comfortable having it auto close without me there.

For opening, I don’t find tapping a couple times to be a major issue lol, but I set up an automation, also through Home Assistant, that uses the Lucid Home Assistant integration I built (and is open source), that opens the door whenever my car approaches and Home Assistant sees it as “home”.

Happy to explain more if anyone would like. It’s a little bit of tinkering, but not much, and it doesn’t take much to make your world better. :)
All these things work great, assuming you have good cell coverage as you approach your home.

All these things work great, assuming you have good cell coverage as you approach your home.
Sure, yes, that’s true; good point. That’s also true of the Tesla <> MyQ integration mentioned earlier.

Only Homelink works offline.

Although I will note: ratgdo does not require internet access; it runs entirely locally. Infinity shield is just a sensor, no connectivity to anything but the garage door opener via two wires. Home Assistant also runs locally.

As long as you have *wifi* or cell you can control the door.

As long as you have *wifi* or cell you can control the door.
Yes. In my case I actually have some (poor) WiFi available before I reach the house, but the phone won’t switch to it right away. Also when wireless CarPlay is active there is no WiFi for the phone. I suppose I could use wired CarPlay and hope the phone switches from the poor cell reception to the poor WiFi.

But to get on topic, that’s why a HomeLink solution is much better than MyQ, since it does not rely on WiFi.

Yes. In my case I actually have some (poor) WiFi available before I reach the house, but the phone won’t switch to it right away. Also when wireless CarPlay is active there is no WiFi for the phone. I suppose I could use wired CarPlay and hope the phone switches from the poor cell reception to the poor WiFi.

But to get on topic, that’s why a HomeLink solution is much better than MyQ, since it does not rely on WiFi.
Actually, I disagree. I have the myQ thing on our Tesla, with subscription, and it's much better than homelink for one main reason: it KNOWS if the garage is already up or down and therefore never mistakenly does the opposite action. With homelink automation on our Tesla before switching to MyQ, if i came home but a family member already had the garage door open for some reason, the car would send the homelink signal and the garage would CLOSE instead of opening. Sure, i could trigger it again from the dash, but that's kind of a pain.
When you have a myQ integrated solution, it never messes up. When you come home, garage will go up if it's down, it will stay open if it were already open, and same when you leave... it will always close the garage and not toggle it the wrong way.

One other slight advantage is that with the myQ subscription, I can see if my garage door is open or close from anywhere, right on the car dash... nice to check this if i were worried about it accidentally being left open. Also can trigger it from anywhere in the country/world... from the dash. If i get a call from the babysitter or housekeeper who is locked out, can open it from the car dash no matter where i am. Homelink can't do this.

I realize not everyone wants another subscription, and I hate Chamberlain's stance about IoT platforms like Home Assistant, but I must say the myQ+Tesla integration is brilliant and so convenient that i happily pay the subsscription. Homelink is not at all the same for me...

I stand corrected! I tried it out today and when I back out of my garage NOTHING automatically drops down from a homelink menu. However, when I arrive home, go up my driveway (which is at least 100 feet long), when I get about half way up the driveway (about 50 feef from the garage door), the home-link menu automatically drops down, then just select the garage door I want to open and it works.

I guess my garage door openers must be old. They work with home
link in the car but my screens in the car are stagnate no matter how close to the door I am. I still need to manually go through a few screens to operate the doors.

I guess my garage door openers must be old. They work with home
link in the car but my screens in the car are stagnate no matter how close to the door I am. I still need to manually go through a few screens to operate the doors.
The Automatic display of the HomeLink Garage Door has nothing to do with the actual garage door. It's GPS based and when you programmed your garage door on the Lucid, it recorded your GPS position. It will pop up the window about 50 feet from your garage door (or from where've you programmed it).

+1 on the ratgdo. Care to share your yaml or blueprint? @borski

+1 on the ratgdo. Care to share your yaml or blueprint? @borski
For the automation?

YAML:
alias: Auto close garage door
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.ratgdov2_1b599b_obstruction
    for:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 6
      seconds: 0
    to: "off"
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.ratgdov2_1b599b_motion
    to: "off"
    for:
    entity_id:
      - cover.ratgdov2_1b599b_door
    to: open
    for:
condition:
  - condition: and
    conditions:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: cover.ratgdov2_1b599b_door
        state: open
        for:
        entity_id: binary_sensor.ratgdov2_1b599b_motion
        state: "off"
        for:
        entity_id: binary_sensor.ratgdov2_1b599b_obstruction
        state: "off"
        for:
action:
  - device_id: 5bd3f28166bb4dffa429afdf09830d32
    domain: cover
    entity_id: d73cba0eb4d59525ea7a76e1e1dabfea
    type: close
mode: single

The Automatic display of the HomeLink Garage Door has nothing to do with the actual garage door. It's GPS based and when you programmed your garage door on the Lucid, it recorded your GPS position. It will pop up the window about 50 feet from your garage door (or from where've you programmed it).
Yeah mine doesn’t do that. Oh well

Back