Pay to play

Pwmac

Verified Owner
Cars
GT Blk/SC/21
Not a fan of all these subscriptions but it looks like that's the way the industry is going. Lucid should probably be listed too since they are now offering the reduced cost GT with monthly for DD pro and Atmos. Does anyone know what the monthly cost will be for those?

I haven’t seen anything about Lucid offering monthly subscriptions. What is your source on this?

I haven’t seen anything about Lucid offering monthly subscriptions. What is your source on this?
Lucid themselves. They reduced the price of inventory GTs, those include a 3 month trial period of DDpro and SSpro. It would appear it’s setup for subscription at that point. Would seem odd to force those to pay for it outright after offering a trial, but I suppose that’s possible. Either way, looks as though software locking is something Lucid will do now.

Lucid themselves. They reduced the price of inventory GTs, those include a 3 month trial period of DDpro and SSpro. It would appear it’s setup for subscription at that point. Would seem odd to force those to pay for it outright after offering a trial, but I suppose that’s possible. Either way, looks as though software locking is something Lucid will do now.
Unsure where Lucid will go on that, my hope is it is just a one time, optional purchase at the list option price. Whether you do that at end of 3 month trial, wait a while, or never.

I understand temptation for auto companies to go with ongoing revenue rental approach but believe that is a turn off for many customers. Admittedly less so if clearly stated before initial purchase.

Sorry I thought since they were offering for free for 3 months it would be a subscription of some type.

Unsure where Lucid will go on that, my hope is it is just a one time, optional purchase at the list option price. Whether you do that at end of 3 month trial, wait a while, or never.
I wonder how they'll price these things when the car is 5 years old and depreciated significantly.

I wonder how they'll price these things when the car is 5 years old and depreciated significantly.
I wonder if they will transfer when a car is sold? That could have significant affect on resale value.

I wonder if they will transfer when a car is sold? That could have significant affect on resale value.
If they were to follow the Tesla model (possible, but no one knows whether they will or not) an outright purchase would unlock the feature for the life of the car. So the new buyer would get the full feature on the used car. If it’s a monthly subscription, then nothing would transfer. The new buyer would start their own subscription, and the original owner would just cancel their subscription.

Sorry I thought since they were offering for free for 3 months it would be a subscription of some type.
Yeah that has not been made clear at all; thus far, the assumption is you’d pay for it in full after the 3-month trial. It’s certainly possible they’ll add a subscription at some point, but for now that’s just speculation.

I don't really get why people are so annoyed by Lucid's actions with their GT inventory. Yes, they could be planning a subscription based service for customers to periodically enable or trial DDP and SSP. They're probably also going to let customers outright buy DDP and SSP if they change their mind after they purchase the car. But they haven't said anything officially, so everything anybody here says about subscriptions is just speculation.

But what I'm confused by is why people are annoyed at them for trying to let people access a very expensive (in comparison) feature compared to BMW charging $18 per month to access heated seats. Heated seats cost basically nothing compared to DDP, so that's why its a stupid subscription cost; it's basically a microtransaction thats designed to take as much of your money as possible. It's also important to note its basically just flicking a switch, no significant software changes required.

But DDP and SSP are comparatively expensive because they're software changes (which costs money, like training the AI and tuning the Dolby Atmos system) so its akin to paying for your internet. "My house is already connected to the fibre optic cables, why cant they just turn the internet on for me?" well because it costs money to maintain the cables and everything.

The future is subscription based, and not everybody might like it (I don't) but I don't think this is a stupid subscription.

I don't really get why people are so annoyed by Lucid's actions with their GT inventory. Yes, they could be planning a subscription based service for customers to periodically enable or trial DDP and SSP. They're probably also going to let customers outright buy DDP and SSP if they change their mind after they purchase the car. But they haven't said anything officially, so everything anybody here says about subscriptions is just speculation.

But what I'm confused by is why people are annoyed at them for trying to let people access a very expensive (in comparison) feature compared to BMW charging $18 per month to access heated seats. Heated seats cost basically nothing compared to DDP, so that's why its a stupid subscription cost; it's basically a microtransaction thats designed to take as much of your money as possible. It's also important to note its basically just flicking a switch, no significant software changes required.

But DDP and SSP are comparatively expensive because they're software changes (which costs money, like training the AI and tuning the Dolby Atmos system) so its akin to paying for your internet. "My house is already connected to the fibre optic cables, why cant they just turn the internet on for me?" well because it costs money to maintain the cables and everything.

The future is subscription based, and not everybody might like it (I don't) but I don't think this is a stupid subscription.
I can understand BMW’s massage seat subscription for luxury part, but $10 a month for High Beam Assist? By the time Lucid finished all the software improvement at end of 2023, BMW’s equivalent features might Lucid owners $300/month.

I can understand BMW’s massage seat subscription for luxury part, but $10 a month for High Beam Assist? By the time Lucid finished all the software improvement at end of 2023, BMW’s equivalent features might Lucid owners $300/month.
I was shocked to find out they charged money for what is arguably a safety feature. Considering how stringent the EU is about headlight safety (matrix lights etc), I wouldn't be surprised if they banned this practice of charging subscriptions to unlock these features soon.

I guess they have to find a way to milk their customers of money considering the i7 is so ugly nobody will buy it lol

Back