Parking car for two weeks

Electrified

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
AGT, F Type SVR, F-Pace
Referral Code
04MXQNS5
My car is going to be parked for about 18 days, should keep the car on a charge?
Currently I don't have any charging at home as I'm waiting on the Sema L2 charger I ordered on July 18th (supposed to ship 09-29-22), in any event I could put put it on a 120V charge.

My car is going to be parked for about 18 days, should keep the car on a charge?
Currently I don't have any charging at home as I'm waiting on the Sema L2 charger I ordered on July 18th (supposed to ship 09-29-22), in any event I could put put it on a 120V charge.
Based off what @Tesla2.0 and what @Adnillien said I would charge to 80 and just leave it unplugged.

It shouldn't make a difference. However, to be extra careful, maybe charge up and then leave it disconnected.

I think the recent OTA updates have some effect of frequency onboard system communicates with HQ server. It’s safer to be unplugged so car can go long sleep instead of signal and drained 12V. I was basically told there wasn’t any hardware issue, but the drain was caused by recent software version.

My $0.02/-
- Charge it up to whatever. 80%,.
- Set the charging limit to 50% or the lowest point the sliding scale is.
- Plug in your EVSE charger - 110V is just fine. (Assuming you are leaving it in your garage). (I leave it plugged in on my 14-50 EA home charger).
- Don't login thru' the app to check if your car is healthy. It should be. Frequently checking in on the car drains the 12V battery.

P.S: I followed the above steps over the past 3+ years on my MSLR when I'm gone for 3+ months. No issues.

Will do the same again for my AGT as well.

Good luck.

P.S: I know some folks have concerns about 'fire', etc ... Place a cheap camera, $40/-, in the garage & check that frequently. The camera doubles up as garage security.

Cheers

I think the recent OTA updates have some effect of frequency onboard system communicates with HQ server. It’s safer to be unplugged so car can go long sleep instead of signal and drained 12V. I was basically told there wasn’t any hardware issue, but the drain was caused by recent software version.
My car did an OTA Sunday and is up to date, FTR the OTA did cause a battery drain as the car did lose some miles while charging; I just don't how many.

I agree with @hydbob. I would not leave it on a Level 1 charger as cooling the battery seems to draw more power than the level 1 can supply. I left my car for two weeks on a level 2 charger and woke it up every 3-4 days and only saw a 1% decrease in SOC and it would charge for about 10 minutes and then stop. It would have been fine without being on the charger.

My concern was any vampire drain that could occur while I'm away.
My service tech has my car about 3 1/2 weeks. He charged it to 100% the day after he received to recreate my issue. He has driven it less than 10 miles since then. The car, with the phantom drain, has 353 miles on it since that last charge.

I only lost 5% drain 18 days when I was away and not checking mobile app for status. So basically irrelevant drain.

My $0.02/-
- Plug in your EVSE charger - 110V is just fine. (Assuming you are leaving it in your garage). (I leave it plugged in on my 14-50 EA home charger).
- Don't login thru' the app to check if your car is healthy. It should be. Frequently checking in on the car drains the 12V battery.

P.S: I followed the above steps over the past 3+ years on my MSLR when I'm gone for 3+ months. No issues.

Good luck.

P.S: I know some folks have concerns about 'fire', etc ... Place a cheap camera, $40/-, in the garage & check that frequently. The camera doubles up as garage security.

Cheers
Thanks for the info, I don't have a camera in the garage and quite frankly what good is a camera if the car were to burst into flames? It's more important to make sure your insurance premiums are paid.

My $0.02/-

Good luck.

Cheers
Wouldn't recommend leaving it charged on a 110V as you could actually lose charging by doing so.

Thanks for the info, I don't have a camera in the garage and quite frankly what good is a camera if the car were to burst into flames? It's more important to make sure your insurance premiums are paid.
Well .. the camera mention, was just a side note. That's all. No relevance to the topic. And yes, it does not serve any purpose except to provide you proof that it was the car that caused the fire. But we/I digress.

AW, contrary to what others are suggesting, I have always kept my car plugged in. Simple. EVSE or 14-50. And you may want to check with your SC as well, since they are the 'experts'.

Good luck on your decision.

Cheers

I have done that for the MSLR in the past. Never faced any issues till I moved to a 14-50.

Is there a notice/memo/note from Lucid against it?
No memo, just own personal experience and advice from DA.

The Wunderbox actually regulates battery temperature to use more energy than 110V can give to system, so you can plug in 110V and have negative charge in a high temperature garage.

I have done that for the MSLR in the past. Never faced any issues till I moved to a 14-50.

Is there a notice/memo/note from Lucid against it?
There have been posts on this board about having negative results from charging with 110V as it only produces about 1 mph and Lucid uses more than that with the fans running..

@Tesla2.0 & @stevelitchfieldpark : Got it. If you guys have tried' that route & Lucid has advised you against it, then I stand corrected.

I was not aware of 110V negative draw, since my SC did not tell me that during delivery, when I asked him. Plus I live in PNW and leave town during winter, with garage temps not exceeding 60s. Hence never considered high temps as a factor.

@Electrified: I guess no 110V as per the above. But please do check with your SC. Or maybe ask him if you charge it to the full 100% and leave it unplugged, are there consequences. (Stating that just in case your trip gets delayed. Or there is more battery drain than you anticipated during your travels, especially with the impending software updates.)

Good luck.

I’ve left mine plugged in to my Wallbox while I was in Europe for a few months and had no issues. You should be fine either way.

I’ve left mine plugged in to my Wallbox while I was in Europe for a few months and had no issues. You should be fine either way.
That may be different with latest versions of nonstop patch updates. But if 12V is drained, you can just called SC to queue you to service system to help you jump start.

Back