OTA Updates... or lack thereof.

Agreed. Lucid has made it clear to me that they aren’t going to support Netflix or other streaming services. The BYOD setup in the Gravity second row, the new software “detox mode” with minimal screens/displayed info and Lucid Spaces to help relax and take us away from being connected. These items point to a departure from adding the connected chaos we are all addicted to the Lucid ecosystem. My two cents.
Sounds cool, but doesn't particularly mesh with my wishes in a long range car. I like options and it's nice to watch a video together while charging. Not on a little phone screen.

Sounds cool, but doesn't particularly mesh with my wishes in a long range car. I like options and it's nice to watch a video together while charging. Not on a little phone screen.
To be fair the screen on the lucid where you can fit a rectangle (video) is pretty small too…see carplay. Don’t think the air display was designed with video infotainment in mind. Gravity seems perfect for it and I expect they will do video apps in it in the future

To be fair the screen on the lucid where you can fit a rectangle (video) is pretty small too…see carplay
Yes, only the center screen would be worthwhile.

I’ve always been of the opinion of why the heck not? Like sure some people may opt to watch YouTube on their phones but then it doesn’t affect you. The option is better than it not being there at all. Same with the dash cam stuff. Today on the highway a semi kicked up something metal at my hood. Got a good scratch that went through the ppf and I will never know what that was. In previous EVs I was able to pull the footage and still have it to this day. I don’t get why not at the end of the day. For the people that don’t find it useful well don’t use it. Right now that’s not even an option. Hell even the new Tesla feature that detects your proximity of the trunk via phone key and opens it automatically for you sounds soooo intuitive and cool. And yes I know not everyone uses their trunk or they have hands that can open it manually or something along those lines but man I’d love to have the options.

And no this does not mean that I want to drive a Tesla everyday. I’m just a little envious of the infotainment and updates that they come out with. Everything else, I don’t miss a bit.

I’ve always been of the opinion of why the heck not? Like sure some people may opt to watch YouTube on their phones but then it doesn’t affect you. The option is better than it not being there at all. Same with the dash cam stuff. Today on the highway a semi kicked up something metal at my hood. Got a good scratch that went through the ppf and I will never know what that was. In previous EVs I was able to pull the footage and still have it to this day. I don’t get why not at the end of the day. For the people that don’t find it useful well don’t use it. Right now that’s not even an option. Hell even the new Tesla feature that detects your proximity of the trunk via phone key and opens it automatically for you sounds soooo intuitive and cool. And yes I know not everyone uses their trunk or they have hands that can open it manually or something along those lines but man I’d love to have the options.

And no this does not mean that I want to drive a Tesla everyday. I’m just a little envious of the infotainment and updates that they come out with. Everything else, I don’t miss a bit.
This is why when I go to charge the car or on a long distance trip I like to use my huge Samsung 14inch tablet with phone as a hotspot for passengers. Each may want to hear something different with headphones while the driver pays attention to the road and listens to music in the car.

An iPad or other tablet is not a "small phone screen,” and is inevitably going to offer you significantly better quality and experience than whatever screen and/or service Lucid decides to put in their car.

I’ve always been of the opinion of why the heck not? Like sure some people may opt to watch YouTube on their phones but then it doesn’t affect you. The option is better than it not being there at all. Same with the dash cam stuff. Today on the highway a semi kicked up something metal at my hood. Got a good scratch that went through the ppf and I will never know what that was. In previous EVs I was able to pull the footage and still have it to this day. I don’t get why not at the end of the day. For the people that don’t find it useful well don’t use it. Right now that’s not even an option.
I don't think anyone, not even Lucid, is arguing against the option of a dashcam.

They just haven't built it yet.

An iPad or other tablet is not a "small phone screen,” and is inevitably going to offer you significantly better quality and experience than whatever screen and/or service Lucid...
All I can say is that we've watched video on the main car screen while charging with both our Model 3 and our Volvo EV, and it's nice to have a high quality AV experience in two taps without having to arrange for bringing along a tablet that I don't have, setting my phone up as a hotspot for it, and piping the tablet's audio through the car's speakers.

It's not the kind of thing for that would make or break a car buying decision for me. Just a nice capability if present.

All I can say is that we've watched video on the main car screen while charging with both our Model 3 and our Volvo EV, and it's nice to have a high quality AV experience in two taps without having to arrange for bringing along a tablet that I don't have, setting my phone up as a hotspot for it, and piping the tablet's audio through the car's speakers.

It's not the kind of thing for that would make or break a car buying decision for me. Just a nice capability if present.
I completely agree with you. It can never hurt to have more options. Just like a built-in dashcam solution would be nice to have compared to having to install or use your own, same could go for entertainment apps.

I for one would love to stick to “compromise” solutions where the car infotainment is doing as little as possible. That’s why CarPlay is great - the smarts are on the 1k device in your pocket with a massive development team and regular upgrades. The perfect solution for charging entertainment in my opinion would be supporting Google Cast / Airplay to the center screen. That way it’s not limited to whatever streaming apps the car supports, it’s less work for Lucid, and honestly it’s easier/smoother for me as the user. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I hate the built in smart TV OSes and would rather just use an Apple TV or cast from my phone. Same deal here.

Also, the problem right now with watching on an iPad is the extreme lag in Bluetooth audio to the car. It’s a little sad listening to a big movie/show out tiny speakers while sitting in a professional quality audio system.

Fair enough. I disagree (I agree with @segbrk) but I totally understand your point and you’re not wrong.

I found the Netflix and YouTube apps on the Mdoel 3 infuriating. Cheap web apps ported over to a car with a slow internet connection makes for a poor video viewing experience. At the time you couldn't even log into YouTube without using the built-in web browser to log in as a hack first. (Don't get me started on how terrible that web browser was.)

The portrait screen and positioning of the Pilot panel would make it even worse than the Model 3, which at least has a decent-sized landscape screen positioned much higher.

But if they want to build it, fine. Just so long as that's on page 126 on the todo list. Far more important things to do first. Like dash cam.

I found the Netflix and YouTube apps on the Mdoel 3 infuriating. Cheap web apps ported over to a car with a slow internet connection makes for a poor video viewing experience. At the time you couldn't even log into YouTube without using the built-in web browser to log in as a hack first. (Don't get me started on how terrible that web browser was.)

The portrait screen and positioning of the Pilot panel would make it even worse than the Model 3, which at least has a decent-sized landscape screen positioned much higher.

But if they want to build it, fine. Just so long as that's on page 126 on the todo list. Far more important things to do first. Like dash cam.
It’s improved drastically. I would imagine this experience was on older hardware. They ship full blown Ryzen APUs now that run their infotainment. I’d say all apps within teslas library now are pretty dang quick but you have to have model year 22 or greater I believe.

I agree this can be so far down the list though but would still love the option eventually.

Yes, only the center screen would be worthwhile.
Unfortunately even the center screen is not fully rectangular shape, so there will likely be black borders which may be distracting experience.

It’s improved drastically. I would imagine this experience was on older hardware. They ship full blown Ryzen APUs now that run their infotainment. I’d say all apps within teslas library now are pretty dang quick but you have to have model year 22 or greater I believe.

I agree this can be so far down the list though but would still love the option eventually.
This is correct, we just bought a 2024 Tesla and the infotainment is top notch. Streaming quality is great but definitely not 4k. I can attest that it makes charging outside more relaxing than in our Lucid. Don’t even get me started on the crappy EA chargers…lol

I’d have to weigh in favoring dashcam/sentry function on our non-statistical survey. Two months after purchasing my Rivian, I hosted a trail run event. During the beverage-ladened breakfast that followed, a drunken participant accidentally doored my vehicle. It was very satisfying to review the footage and be able to pass the cost of repair on to the guilty party. I’m hoping the feature evolves to the next level where I can view events live on my phone.

I’d have to weigh in favoring dashcam/sentry function on our non-statistical survey. Two months after purchasing my Rivian, I hosted a trail run event. During the beverage-ladened breakfast that followed, a drunken participant accidentally doored my vehicle. It was very satisfying to review the footage and be able to pass the cost of repair on to the guilty party. I’m hoping the feature evolves to the next level where I can view events live on my phone.

From your lips to the Lucid Gods’ ears. According to Bobby’s poll, some kind of dashcam/sentry mode system is the number one most customer requested feature.

From your lips to the Lucid Gods’ ears. According to Bobby’s poll, some kind of dashcam/sentry mode system is the number one most customer requested feature.
And we have Lucid employees on this forum, so here's to hoping they actually pass along just how important this is.

Tesla just announced that with their next update you will be able to view the cameras on Critical alerts directly from the notification from your phone. Rivian seems pretty good at catching up to Tesla so I would be shocked to see it soon.

Back