Ordering and Delivery: Lucid Air Touring

Just got the call from my DA, the car is complete, Zenith/SC, and will ship tomorrow to SoCal, for pick-up next week. Yippee!
Congrats! When did your dashboard change to prep for delivery? I have the same car as you with 19" wheels. My VIN was one day later than yours. I wish my delivery is one day behind yours in Costa Mesa. I net no status from my DA. Only tells me what is on the dashboard.

Isn't that what the new dashboard is for?
Beside the fact DA say my car won't be in production till some time next year. I found out my car was issue vin around 12/9 then in production then delivery preparation, no email or call from DA. After 2-3 days after car went in Delivery preparation (2 or 3 week since vin), email DA. No response, wait 2 day. Text her. no response. but once I got her attention, she does became more responsive. So I am saying base on all the car purchase in my past. dashboard has good info but not enough. It should better communicate to buyer consider all the people here are eager and willing help lucid succeed.

I think the new Dashboard is a step in the right direction toward improving communication, but it would be helpful if it had more granularity. Maybe we had some false expectations when Lucid management talks about ramping up production with some vehicles making it out of Production in 2 - 3 days... Many of us us have been sitting in Production for more than 10 days (yes I know the DA partyline is Production can take up to 10 - 14 days). Obviously the In Production phase is comprised of many lower level subprocesses. Would at least be able to have a more focused discussion with our DA if we could better track progress through Production (i.e. my car seems to have been moving through P1 to P6 fairly quickly but now appears to be stuck in P7 for three days. Any insight into what may be holding up progress to the final P10 subprocess?). Todays automated MRP systems should be able easily track and report a higher level of detail throughout Production.
Lucid actually already has a lot of the additional information on their side, in their electronic systems, you just have to call and hope you get someone willing to tell you that level of information. I assume they are just being cautious with not over sharing info, but I think the net benefit of even just a little more granularity would help everyone. The dashboard itself was a big step in the right direction, so hopefully they keep improving. As a buyer and an investor, these are the kinds of things I want to see.

As far as in production sub processes …

P1: unknown number of steps, presumably just an “in queue” status that is already reflected by the dashboard migrating to the “in production” phase. I think some of the cars are entering this phase a bit prematurely and causing frustration, but I have no idea

P2: VIN assigned, already reflected in the dashboard

P3: general assembly (car build for ~1 day followed by software installation for 1-2 days). My DA and even the call center knew when I was here. As far as I can tell, there’s some level of QC occurring here, now including the trunk latch issue that was recently identified. I think the 1 day build is impressive and I wouldn’t want that step to be rushed.

P4: built and awaiting transport. My DA emailed me when I hit this mark. For Costa Mesa, I was told 3-7 days is the range, but obviously bad luck here can really slow things down. Presumably the bomb cyclone is one of them. But, it’s clear they are improving in this department as time goes on. I suspect the recent hold (which has already ended) was due to the trunk latch issue; it makes no sense to ship out 100s of cars that will need to be fixed if that’s easily addressable at the factory. I think it’s a good sign they identified the problem and implemented a solution as fast as they did

P5: arrived at service center and awaiting inspection. My DA was out yesterday but will email me when I hit this part. Hopefully I’m there, but I’m only 4 days out from confirmation of the car being built.

P6: PDI. From what I’ve been told, 99% of the cars pass. I think it’s 1-2 days.

Once PDI is complete, the status moves to preparing for delivery, already reflected in the dashboard.

I’m somewhere between P4-P5. I will say that customer service isn’t Lucid’s strong suit at the moment, but the speed at which they ramped up production is very hard to keep up with. It takes time to hire and train people, and most people do not take on new jobs when the holidays are on the horizon. Scaling up is extremely difficult. I recently watched a company do this too fast, and it resulted in a lot of missteps due to lack of training and coordination, which ultimately resulted in law suits that had to be settled.

I would encourage anyone throwing their hands up because they aren’t hearing from their DA to be more proactive if they want EOY delivery. I call, text, and email anytime I want an update (not all at once, but progressively over the course of a few hours). If I don’t hear back, I call and email others, like my SA, the service center where my car is going, and the general call center. You can ask for DA re-assignment. DAs have more power than they are letting on.

Good luck, Everyone

Welp, between the time I went to bed last night until I woke up this morning, my dashboard updated to "preparing for production" from "in production." My status showed "in production" for 12 straight days. I guess my process begins anew.

This has been frustrating and for those of us who were "early" in the entire buying process from reserving, to order confirmation, to order finalization, to have Touring folks who reserved well after us and Pure folks now receiving purchase agreements and Vin#'s, but early Touring folks still waiting and waiting really is some of the poorest customer service I've ever experienced in my 48 years! It's really diminished the excitement of the car for me.

I like the company and adore the car, so I will continue to wait however, there's no way I could recommend any of my friends, family, or colleagues to reserve any model at this time given this experience and trust me, folks have asked me if they should.

Welp, between the time I went to bed last night until I woke up this morning, my dashboard updated to "preparing for production" from "in production." My status showed "in production" for 12 straight days. I guess my process begins anew.

This has been frustrating and for those of us who were "early" in the entire buying process from reserving, to order confirmation, to order finalization, to have Touring folks who reserved well after us and Pure folks now receiving purchase agreements and Vin#'s, but early Touring folks still waiting and waiting really is some of the poorest customer service I've ever experienced in my 48 years! It's really diminished the excitement of the car for me.

I like the company and adore the car, so I will continue to wait however, there's no way I could recommend any of my friends, family, or colleagues to reserve any model at this time given this experience and trust me, folks have asked me if they should.
I know it's frustrating but it seems silly that you would buy a car you can't recommend to anyone....

Same here. My dashboard reverted from "in production" to "preparing for production" just today.

I know it's frustrating but it seems silly that you would buy a car you can't recommend to anyone....
The tax credit frustrations are non-existent for future buyers. The first car ever sold with any of the 100+ possible AT configurations was a month ago. Constantly thinking about delivery while watching the growing pains with a microscope is not conducive to our collective mental health (although I’m appreciative of the community at large, of course).

No offense, but reserving in June 2021 is not early. I reserved in December 2019 and had to wait until June of this year to get the car - almost 2.5 years to the day. I know others like @hmp10 and @hydbob waited even longer for their DEs. For me, I knew I was one of the first GT reservations, but I saw people getting VINs ahead of me for months before I finally got mine with no expansion from Lucid because of the 'grey delay.' I understand you're frustrated by the waiting game, but I'll say what I and many others have said before:

IT'S TOTALLY WORTH THE WAIT!

Have some patience. You're almost at the finish line. Soon enough you'll be behind the wheel and forgetting (almost) about all the frustrations in waiting.

I feel your pain, I have completed all my paperwork, and all payments cleared on December 16. The car reached Chicago on December 18. My DA told me PDI is a quick process, and I should receive my car within 3/4 when it comes to Chicago. Given the time, I hoped to get my car by this weekend. Yesterday, my DA called me and said they were having some transportation issues, and my car will leave Chicago on December 26, and I could pick it up on the 28th. I felt someone had dropped the ball or did not want to deliver the car to the owners on time. Now I am worried If I am even going to get my car by EOY.

I will be really hesitant to recommend Lucid to my friends and family due to my experience with delivery time.

I will be really hesitant to recommend Lucid to my friends and family due to my experience with delivery time.
Because of a delay of a few days when the eastern half of the country is being walloped by a massive storm system and dealing with Christmas? Seriously?

Man, the level of entitlement is getting worse and worse. Everyone needs to just CHILL OUT!

Last edited:
I feel your pain, I have completed all my paperwork, and all payments cleared on December 16. The car reached Chicago on December 18. My DA told me PDI is a quick process, and I should receive my car within 3/4 when it comes to Chicago. Given the time, I hoped to get my car by this weekend. Yesterday, my DA called me and said they were having some transportation issues, and my car will leave Chicago on December 26, and I could pick it up on the 28th. I felt someone had dropped the ball or did not want to deliver the car to the owners on time. Now I am worried If I am even going to get my car by EOY.

Compared to how long one coworker is still waiting for her model 3 long range and my friend waited for his AMG E53 coupe, your delivery hiccup is nothing, although of course still annoying. Was it one of the cars that needed a trunk part changed? It can be frustrating but they’re also prone to the same driver shortages the rest of the country is, delivery dates are unfortunately not set in stone for many cars or items. It just seems excessive to say “DONT BUY THIS CAR THEY MIGHT NOT DELIVER WHEN THEY SAID”.

Compared to how long one coworker is still waiting for her model 3 long range and my friend waited for his AMG E53 coupe, your delivery hiccup is nothing, although of course still annoying. Was it one of the cars that needed a trunk part changed? It can be frustrating but they’re also prone to the same driver shortages the rest of the country is, delivery dates are unfortunately not set in stone for many cars or items. It just seems excessive to say “DONT BUY THIS CAR THEY MIGHT NOT DELIVER WHEN THEY SAID”.
The dashboard is a waste of time. Why implement something that is only going to make people more angry because its not being updated properly? I ordered Stealth so i know I'm not getting a car anytime soon but it says preparing for production which i know is not true (My DA said the same thing). Listening to everyone complain about the lack of communication is disappointing. It shouldn't be that hard to give customers an update. This is customer service 101.
Yes, the car is amazing and once its delivered we will forget about these issues and enjoy the car.
I just wish they would communicate better and with accurate info. This would alleviate so many complaints.

I think the prior statement from a Lucid exec was 1 -2 days for General Assembly and another day for software installation. These were at the end of production before preparation for delivery. What are the P1 - P10 steps you are referring to?
Just a notional concept of subprocesses to show a potential idea of giving us better visibility into "In Production". Lucid could come up with some lower level processes to be added to the Dashboard to allow us to see some progress. At this point we only have three high level phases with no understanding of what happens in each or what each phase's average cycle time is...

Has anyone experienced after confirming their order attempted to change any specs, like 21" to 20" and was told that the price is still the price since my request was "after" confirming.. I test drove a Touring in Short Hills NJ and they recommended due to the roads out in New Jersey it would be best to change the rims to prevent possible rim damage. I was told the car was in production, now preparing for delivery. The rims could be swapped but for the 21" price. I would hate to cancel this order due to this.. I can see if they were saying, we can order you the 20" additionally and I pay the difference. But to say that I will still be on the hook for rims that I don't own seems a little Ludacris.

I got calls from Houston Service Center and Plano Studio for a pickup tomorrow at Plano Studio. :cool:😅

CS/Tahoe Trim. VIN Dec 9. Shipped Dec 16-17. PA and Dashboard Status (Preparing for delivery) Dec 19. Payment Dec 20.
Got another call in the night to inform that transporter is not able to go to Houston and come back in this weather. Pickup may be on Friday or Saturday. Bad weather is going to cause some delays all over. Keep warm and waiting!! 🤞

Got another call in the night to inform that transporter is not able to go to Houston and come back in this weather. Pickup may be on Friday or Saturday. Bad weather is going to cause some delays all over. Keep warm and waiting!! 🤞
I'm living vicariously through you since I'm stuck In Production! Weather forecast looks cold and windy between Plano and Houston, but not much precipitation. Wonder what conditions effect the transporter's ability to move cars... Oh well, just another variable that effects us. Fingers crossed for you!

I thinks it’s the psychology of getting the federal tax credit. Take that out of the picture and most will be happy taking the car in January. Blame the Democrats inflation increasing act, not Lucid.

Back