Ordering and Delivery: Lucid Air Touring

Personally I'm avoiding Scotchguard. The older formulation was taken off the market for proven long-term safety concerns with PFAS. There is no data proving the safety of the flourinated urethanes that replaced PFAS. I bought a cheap set of ill-fitting all-weather mats while waiting for a nice solution from Lucid, Weathertech, 3D, or Tuxmat. Lucid has made mats available in both gray and black and in the future may produce a mat color to complement the Santa Cruz interior.

I seem to remember weeks ago saying that giving customers more insight into the production process was likely to be more trouble than it was worth.
To echo a number of posts by @CLTGT, I think that if Lucid (or every other organization, including the one I work for) just provided a set of clear expectations and was honest when things went off plan, there would be much less grumbling. Certainly found this to be true in my own job, where the stakes are higher than a delayed luxury car.

Got a call yesterday evening from Houston SC that car was ready to pickup anytime starting today. I said I'll come by on Friday. They suggested to come earlier if possible, since there is inclement weather on Friday.

I asked them if they could deliver and they put it on a trailer this morning on-route to Austin, that was quite the turnaround. Hopefully it shows up soon.

I've never even seen a Lucid up close before, but on my 6th Tesla now, so going in with no expectations. Hoping for the best.

ZR/SC - reserved 3/31

I seem to remember weeks ago saying that giving customers more insight into the production process was likely to be more trouble than it was worth.

Witness the last few pages of this thread.

The problem is that we all want to believe there are dedicated people "working" on our specific car 24 hours a day, and that the production process is linear and set at constant speed. The fact of the matter is that it's messy, can include backwards motion on occasion, and the majority of the time from beginning to end is just waiting.

So the dashboard was a nice idea, but it has ultimately caused people even more anxiety than not having it, I fear.

Perhaps they will improve the information flow over time with more detail. Then again, some of that detail is bound to annoy people even more. They could set up a drone to fly over your car the entire process with a live video feed, and most of the time you'd be watching it sit in a parking space, waiting for the next step. Or you'd see them scrap your car and start over because of a flaw in the run. Or fixing broken issues found during PDI.

More information is not always a good thing. Particularly not for your blood pressure.

It was nice to see a few Dream and GT owners pop in here to remind us all the Touring flow has been leaps and bounds more efficient than what they all went through. Cold comfort, I know, when you are still waiting. (Heck, I was told my car was "finished" a month ago, and I still have to wait another week to get it.) But a good reminder, nonetheless. Lucid has a long way to go before these cars just pop out in a few days. But they will get there.

As far as recommending to friends goes, my advice would be to tell them "You should definitely consider this car. But wait about six months, when you'll be able to order up a Touring and have it delivered two weeks later." Because that's where we will be by June or so. (Witness the GT ordering process of today vs. a year ago.)

The weather is going to be a factor in deliveries that were scheduled for this week. How that impacts next week's deliveries, I don't know. I would not be surprised if I get rushed a bit through my delivery on Wednesday. Which is fine with me, if it means more time for someone else to get their car before EOY.

Deadlines will be missed. Estimates will be incorrect. Some of us will be very happy by the end of next week. Some of us will be frustrated. I for one am grateful I have this forum to share my experiences. Commiserate. Celebrate. And on and on.

Hope everyone stays safe in this nasty weather and has a great holiday. Wishing as many of us as possible have our cars as soon as possible.
Well said. Thanks.

My White/Tahoe Touring had been "In Production" on the tracker for a couple of weeks. Last night it moved back to "Preparing for Production." Does anyone know what that means. Surely the production line is not moving in reverse.
It happened to me yesterday and looks like it happened to some more folks today. Did you have a VIN previously and has it disappeared now?

I've texted and emailed my DA but getting crickets back. I scheduled a call with her tomorrow so hopefully I'll get more info by then.

My dashboard is showing now "preparing for delivery". Hoping for the best.

To all the people complaining here, all i can tell you is, you probably haven't bought a car recently. i bought in the last year an Audi Q7 and a Tesla Model 3, both of those experiences were way worse then the Lucid. With the Audi, once we agreed on a price i signed an agreement and gave a deposit, they went silent for over a month (presumably looking for an actual car) they did not answer phone calls texts or emails. i had to go down to the dealership and make a commotion and i got the GM involved only then did they start communicating only somewhat better, still took another 2 weeks till i had the car. The Tesla buying experience was just a complete nightmare, it involved a trade in, every time i called i spoke to someone else and got conflicting info all the time.

I am very grateful that Lucid is even making the attempt to deliver all these cars before the EOY. Lets not forget most of us weren't even suppose to get our cars this year it was only some time in Nov where they let us know that it will be possible. Bothering your DA multiple times a day is not helping anyone. I'm sure they are working over time to get as many cars out as possible. Just because you are buying an expensive car doesn't mean your Da is your slave and has to be on duty 24/7 to respond to your shenanigans.

If you want to get periodic updates schedule a call with you DA once a week. The idea that some suggested that your DA is supposed to call you constantly to give you updates is just preposterous and counter productive, id rather have them work on getting cars out. No other car manufacture does this.

I blame Lucid for getting us to upspec cars saying EOY delivery and not following through. If they miss EOY delivery and do not let me remove the glass roof and ssp options I will be cancelling the car
Why?

Attachments

• B84DC2B4-54CA-43DB-AB4E-75DC107512E4.jpeg
    B84DC2B4-54CA-43DB-AB4E-75DC107512E4.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 102
Here you go. I love how it looks in white. 😊
That looks amazing and just got me super excited about this car all over again!

Lucid actually already has a lot of the additional information on their side, in their electronic systems, you just have to call and hope you get someone willing to tell you that level of information. I assume they are just being cautious with not over sharing info, but I think the net benefit of even just a little more granularity would help everyone. The dashboard itself was a big step in the right direction, so hopefully they keep improving. As a buyer and an investor, these are the kinds of things I want to see.

As far as in production sub processes …

P1: unknown number of steps, presumably just an “in queue” status that is already reflected by the dashboard migrating to the “in production” phase. I think some of the cars are entering this phase a bit prematurely and causing frustration, but I have no idea

P2: VIN assigned, already reflected in the dashboard

P3: general assembly (car build for ~1 day followed by software installation for 1-2 days). My DA and even the call center knew when I was here. As far as I can tell, there’s some level of QC occurring here, now including the trunk latch issue that was recently identified. I think the 1 day build is impressive and I wouldn’t want that step to be rushed.

P4: built and awaiting transport. My DA emailed me when I hit this mark. For Costa Mesa, I was told 3-7 days is the range, but obviously bad luck here can really slow things down. Presumably the bomb cyclone is one of them. But, it’s clear they are improving in this department as time goes on. I suspect the recent hold (which has already ended) was due to the trunk latch issue; it makes no sense to ship out 100s of cars that will need to be fixed if that’s easily addressable at the factory. I think it’s a good sign they identified the problem and implemented a solution as fast as they did

P5: arrived at service center and awaiting inspection. My DA was out yesterday but will email me when I hit this part. Hopefully I’m there, but I’m only 4 days out from confirmation of the car being built.

P6: PDI. From what I’ve been told, 99% of the cars pass. I think it’s 1-2 days.

Once PDI is complete, the status moves to preparing for delivery, already reflected in the dashboard.

I’m somewhere between P4-P5. I will say that customer service isn’t Lucid’s strong suit at the moment, but the speed at which they ramped up production is very hard to keep up with. It takes time to hire and train people, and most people do not take on new jobs when the holidays are on the horizon. Scaling up is extremely difficult. I recently watched a company do this too fast, and it resulted in a lot of missteps due to lack of training and coordination, which ultimately resulted in law suits that had to be settled.

I would encourage anyone throwing their hands up because they aren’t hearing from their DA to be more proactive if they want EOY delivery. I call, text, and email anytime I want an update (not all at once, but progressively over the course of a few hours). If I don’t hear back, I call and email others, like my SA, the service center where my car is going, and the general call center. You can ask for DA re-assignment. DAs have more power than they are letting on.

Good luck, Everyone
The only status I've ever had on my Dashboard is In Production. Preparing for Production has never appeared. When In Production appeared, I received my VIN. My car arrived in Costa Mesa yesterday and is being prepped for transport to Las Vegas by Tuesday. My Dashboard still says In Production. No granularity.

My dashboard is showing now "preparing for delivery". Hoping for the best.

To all the people complaining here, all i can tell you is, you probably haven't bought a car recently. i bought in the last year an Audi Q7 and a Tesla Model 3, both of those experiences were way worse then the Lucid. With the Audi, once we agreed on a price i signed an agreement and gave a deposit, they went silent for over a month (presumably looking for an actual car) they did not answer phone calls texts or emails. i had to go down to the dealership and make a commotion and i got the GM involved only then did they start communicating only somewhat better, still took another 2 weeks till i had the car. The Tesla buying experience was just a complete nightmare, it involved a trade in, every time i called i spoke to someone else and got conflicting info all the time.

I am very grateful that Lucid is even making the attempt to deliver all these cars before the EOY. Lets not forget most of us weren't even suppose to get our cars this year it was only some time in Nov where they let us know that it will be possible. Bothering your DA multiple times a day is not helping anyone. I'm sure they are working over time to get as many cars out as possible. Just because you are buying an expensive car doesn't mean your Da is your slave and has to be on duty 24/7 to respond to your shenanigans.

If you want to get periodic updates schedule a call with you DA once a week. The idea that some suggested that your DA is supposed to call you constantly to give you updates is just preposterous and counter productive, id rather have them work on getting cars out. No other car manufacture does this.
That's what me and my DA Bryan do. We text regularly and speak on the phone once a week. I feel bad for many of you because my DA has been the opposite of other's experiences. He's really communicative with me and is just as dumbfounded with my build delay as I am.

Here you go. I love how it looks in white. 😊
My car's twin, exactly. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

• Love
Reactions: Oat
Delivered today!!

Attachments

• BCE74E0E-B437-4710-B8B7-70B4594F727B.jpeg
    BCE74E0E-B437-4710-B8B7-70B4594F727B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 149
  • 92EC5A1A-117C-423B-8309-5525799D25FB.jpeg
    92EC5A1A-117C-423B-8309-5525799D25FB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 136
  • B0176413-576A-4CEB-B28F-3A2096832508.jpeg
    B0176413-576A-4CEB-B28F-3A2096832508.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 141
  • 0B55057F-CE56-4121-8A02-8ADDF78088D0.jpeg
    0B55057F-CE56-4121-8A02-8ADDF78088D0.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 140
Delivered today!!
Congratulations. Now the fun begins. Since you are a Tesla owner it will all make sense to you but I'm still learning everyday with this beast. Just this week it has had 4 updates 2.35/ 2.36/ 2.45/ 2.46. Haven't driven today with the last 2 that just came through the airwaves. You will love your Air.

That's what me and my DA Bryan do. We text regularly and speak on the phone once a week. I feel bad for many of you because my DA has been the opposite of other's experiences. He's really communicative with me and is just as dumbfounded with my build delay as I am.
Ditto for me with Ariel. She has been wonderful to work with.

Hello all, first post here. I've been following along for many months without posting, and have much appreciation for the collective brain within this group. I have collected some information along the way that I now find may be valuable to share. First my reservation details:

Original reservation 4/09/2022: ZR/SC, 21s, no DDP, added SSP, glass roof. Located in San Diego.
Finalized Nov. 1st.

Contact Nov 10th to adjust reservation to add DDP with SA stating "99% sure your vehicle will be delivered before EOY to gain credit with added DDP. Did so.

After much contact with DA, and no VIN assigned on this configuration, he contacted me and stated there was a black AT with exact configuration that was already finished, had no assigned owner, and was sitting in the lot awaiting transport. Told me it could be on a truck to So.Cal the next day, so I agreed to switch from red to black.

VIN then assigned same day Dec 12th
Paid Dec. 13th

That brings me to today. The car has not moved from facility and has been "in que" to be shipped for 10 days. Contacted DA who stated no shipment date yet and likely would be down to the wire for EOY delivery.

What is of value here is 2 things. Most people who do not have their vehicle within the next 3 days are likely not going to get it EOY. Told this by DA.

Next is that I have paid for the vehicle in full already. DA believes this will then qualify me for tax credit, regardless of delivery in 2022. I understand there is an entire thread for tax credit, but the 2 have unfortunately become an inseparable conversation. For those worried about EOY delivery, possible to pay for car in full and sign PA. DA stated on Lucids side, all paperwork will indicate 2022 for tax purposes.

One thing I want to touch on that I am frustrated with. Lucid told customers including myself that DDP would in fact be AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT build. That the car would NOT have the hardware installed and would be on an entirely different line. This appears to be....bullshit. As non DDP are being built and software limited. This was the premise of purchasing DDP with the promise of "99% chance of delivery before EOY.". Also BS.

Back