• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Ordering and Delivery: Lucid Air Touring

Honestly, I don't think Lucid is going Tesla's way. I think it'll jut be inventory, and you get from car from there. If you dont have it, then custom order it if you want. More like a traditional dealership,but online
I agree, the quicker that people can get a car the more likely they are to buy.

Please keep us updated. My Costa Mesa DA has not responded in over a week now.
Call the service center. I believe you have Russell as your DA. I was told yesterday that he is on vacation this whole week! Can’t imagine why they didn’t assign someone to watch “his flock”.

Tesla was bleeding money making Model S and Model X and it was on the verge of bankruptcy on multiple occasions. They were desperate enough to drop a Model S for 3 days at my door step for long term test drive. Things turned around with mass production of Model 3 and eventually Model Y. Other manufacturers especially new ones must learn from the mistakes Tesla did to strategize themselves of any upcoming challenges. Lucid definitely had issues on multiple levels; Supply chain, logistics, production and software. Sure, we can blame Covid but Rivian did lot better when it comes to supply chain and they're on track to deliver 25K vehicles for 2022.

Lucid should have focused on mass production with lesser variants and options to increase the efficiency and get more cars on the road instead of nibbling around with 5 variants and multiple options on top of it.

Tesla was bleeding money making Model S and Model X and it was on the verge of bankruptcy on multiple occasions. They were desperate enough to drop a Model S for 3 days at my door step for long term test drive. Things turned around with mass production of Model 3 and eventually Model Y. Other manufacturers especially new ones must learn from the mistakes Tesla did to strategize themselves of any upcoming challenges. Lucid definitely had issues on multiple levels; Supply chain, logistics, production and software. Sure, we can blame Covid but Rivian did lot better when it comes to supply chain and they're on track to deliver 25K vehicles for 2022.

Lucid should have focused on mass production with lesser variants and options to increase the efficiency and get more cars on the road instead of nibbling around with 5 variants and multiple options on top of it.
Agree, what Rivian has done is quite impressive. However, from reading reviews it seems like their Hardware and software is much to be desired. That’s besides the fact that the Lucid is imo a way better engineered vehicle, all the way from craftsmanship to the way it drives etc. so you really have to put things in perspective.

Maybe? Hindsight being 20/20 and all that.

I'm curious, as an exercise, which two variants would you have kept? They need the Pure, right, to have a low-cost entry that appeals to the largest audience possible? But that would never have made headlines. Would have just been a mediocre, slow Model S competitor, with only a few miles more range and slightly cheaper price. (No offense to Pure customers. Just saying, without that 500+ mile range and 800+ hp, they never would have gotten much attention.) So then you keep a higher-end model for the stats. GT? GT-P?

Sapphire and Touring would be the obvious ones to cut, if you ask me. But that would likely have taken me out of the customer pool. I'd argue having a performance brand like Sapphire is important in this class of car (think AMG, etc.) but that likely could have waited.

I wonder what others think. If you had to cut down the Air to two variants, which would you choose?

Lucid produced 2300 cars in Q3, but only delivered 1400 of them. I wonder how many of them were due to logistics vs cancelled orders. Those could also be the overflow AGT inventory that we are seeing. It appears like they may have overestimated the demand for AGT vs the lesser variants and started procuring the parts for Touring later than they should have.

Regardless though, I trust the product (even though I've never been in one :D) and the people running the company. The share price is at an all time low, so gonna go buy some more. Worst case, it will be acquired by someone and they have entered the luxury ev market overnight. 13B market cap is too low for a company that's successfully delivering cutting edge EVs.

Why is the assumption that they overproduced instead of these being cancelled orders whose specific build isn't one on order for another person?

Possible they produced them for reservation holders that may have cancelled them. It does not seem like they have 100's of extra GT's but rather tens of them to lend credence to the idea it may be a combination of cancellations and producing few extra in hopes of new orders or convincing some to upgrade.
Valid points. And that's why I said an argument could be made...

We don't have optics into the reasons or decision making process that led to the excess supply. And we also are not aware of the actual inventory numbers when the company started the incentives.

Either way, that's at least $2,000,000 in inventory they are sitting on.

I'm curious, as an exercise, which two variants would you have kept? They need the Pure, right, to have a low-cost entry that appeals to the largest audience possible? But that would never have made headlines. Would have just been a mediocre, slow Model S competitor, with only a few miles more range and slightly cheaper price. (No offense to Pure customers. Just saying, without that 500+ mile range and 800+ hp, they never would have gotten much attention.) So then you keep a higher-end model for the stats. GT? GT-P?

Sapphire and Touring would be the obvious ones to cut, if you ask me. But that would likely have taken me out of the customer pool. I'd argue having a performance brand like Sapphire is important in this class of car (think AMG, etc.) but that likely could have waited.

I wonder what others think. If you had to cut down the Air to two variants, which would you choose?
In my opinion, it's not the variants that's the issue, it's the price point of the variants. Also, raising the prices across the variants didn't help things. The market is screaming for a Lucid model in the $55,000 to $60,000 range especially with the IRA passage and the $7,500 tax credit. I know a few folks waiting until next year to pick up Tesla Model Y so they can get the tax credit. (FYI, not a tax credit debate.)

Valid points. And that's why I said an argument could be made...

We don't have optics into the reasons or decision making process that led to the excess supply. And we also are not aware of the actual inventory numbers when the company started the incentives.

Either way, that's at least $2,000,000 in inventory they are sitting on.
Are we assuming every car in the Bear flyovers is an unsold GT? I don't think that's likely. Many of those are probably Touring cars waiting to be sent out for PDI. They do have at least a few thousand reservations there to fulfill, and we heard unofficially from a holiday party source that most of the Touring orders for this year have already been built.

GT with 500mi range or performance options. Leather seat with massage for additional cost or purlux same as Pure no massage.

Current Pure but add leather seat options.

Downgrade GT to Touring leather so just 1 kind of leather set instead of 2.

Make DDP standard. If it's extra $2000 parts and labor cost then add that. Not the whole $9000. I think DDP they're trying to make profit like how Tesla is with FSD.

Last edited:
GT with 500mi range or performance options. Leather seat with massage for additional cost or purlux same as Pure no massage.

Current Pure but add leather seat options.

Downgrade GT to Touring leather so just 1 kind of leather set instead of 2.
Yup. I'm still salty about not even having the option for massage seats in the Touring model. But I will not belabor this point again for the sake of my sanity and repeating myself on this point.

I would argu that they positioned themselves perfectly with the 3 model offerings (not counting the sapphire)to compete with all of the luxury Ev’s such as, EQS, Taycan & MS. The higher end models stack up great against the EQS & Taycan, it is just as good or better in almost every way, Looks (that EQS, Oiy Vei 🙄)power, comfort, driving dynamics, tech etc. for folks who money is no object this is the one to go to.

Touring and pure, is just a solid appeal for Ms buyers and perhaps a lot of new EV buyer. I owned a couple of Tesla’s in the past but never was I able to justify the higher end models given the built qualities and driving comfort, it just didn’t cut it for me. The Lucid is just in a different ‏league.

Last edited:
My $103k Touring build competes with a $120k E63S or a $150k Taycan, at least in the attributes I value. So I think it’s positioned well, but the market for this sort of car just isn’t that big.

My $103k Touring build competes with a $120k E63S or a $150k Taycan, at least in the attributes I value. So I think it’s positioned well, but the market for this sort of car just isn’t that big.
Yes. It was a bit bigger two years ago, to be fair. But I still feel the Touring is not long for this world once they fulfill the current preorders. Could be just me being paranoid.

11 GT, 7 GTP
Yeah I would think the numbers available are rather low - when I upgraded in the midst of all this commotion, I did not have an infinite choice of cars. For instance there was no Mohave interior available. Gray withe Tahoe was the best choice for me. People are thinking the large number of cars in the production lot is overproduction when this is a total speculation with no basis that Im aware of.

Yeah I would think the numbers available are rather low - when I upgraded in the midst of all this commotion, I did not have an infinite choice of cars. For instance there was no Mohave interior available. Gray withe Tahoe was the best choice for me. People are thinking the large number of cars in the production lot is overproduction when this is a total speculation with no basis that Im aware of.
Agreed. They have more than what's on the web site at any given time, but the notion they have hundreds and hundreds of GTs and GT-Ps just doesn't hold water. I have yet to see a Stellar White GT in that inventory (though they have two white GT-P's listed).

If they were really dying to get rid of hundreds of cars, the site would have a more wide variety of options, I would think.

Back