• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Ordering and Delivery: Lucid Air Touring

Maybe? Hindsight being 20/20 and all that.

I'm curious, as an exercise, which two variants would you have kept? They need the Pure, right, to have a low-cost entry that appeals to the largest audience possible? But that would never have made headlines. Would have just been a mediocre, slow Model S competitor, with only a few miles more range and slightly cheaper price. (No offense to Pure customers. Just saying, without that 500+ mile range and 800+ hp, they never would have gotten much attention.) So then you keep a higher-end model for the stats. GT? GT-P?

Sapphire and Touring would be the obvious ones to cut, if you ask me. But that would likely have taken me out of the customer pool. I'd argue having a performance brand like Sapphire is important in this class of car (think AMG, etc.) but that likely could have waited.

I wonder what others think. If you had to cut down the Air to two variants, which would you choose?
Definitely DE to showcase Lucid's cutting edge tech compared to Tesla and other EV's and then one model in 400 mile range instead of two (Touring & Pure), with options to kickstart the production and deliver as many as they can, each quarter. Full hands on deck on these models for a year or so, till production is streamlined, Software is bug free and then get into trims like Sapphire and so on!

Lucid didn't have to prove anything after launching Dream edition. Press was all over the car with amazing reviews for its interior and superior drive compared to Tesla. All they had to do was launch a 80-90K car with few luxury options based on what majority of the people will opt based on market survey!

My reasons to book a Pure were to simply put 25-30K miles per year on a car for my business commute. The cheapest 400 mile range EV was Lucid at 77K. Bought a Tesla 3 months ago(7k+ miles clocked) , it should have been Lucid.

Maybe for delivery to outside the US?
Agreed. They have more than what's on the web site at any given time, but the notion they have hundreds and hundreds of GTs and GT-Ps just doesn't hold water. I have yet to see a Stellar White GT in that inventory (though they have two white GT-P's listed).

If they were really dying to get rid of hundreds of cars, the site would have a more wide variety of options, I would think.

My $103k Touring build competes with a $120k E63S or a $150k Taycan, at least in the attributes I value. So I think it’s positioned well, but the market for this sort of car just isn’t that big.
Used GTs with 1000 miles +/- are available for $120k asking.....that's got me thinking.....

Careful and make sure to do proper testing @Volund got a used GT for nice price but plagued with issues
Warranty issues or were they due to mistreatment by the previous owner? If warranty, well, we have several examples of new car buyers here with plenty of those.

Call the service center. I believe you have Russell as your DA. I was told yesterday that he is on vacation this whole week! Can’t imagine why they didn’t assign someone to watch “his flock”.
How did you find out Russell is on vacation. This explains why he has not responded to my text and call. I just left a message at Costa Mesa Service center.

Are we assuming every car in the Bear flyovers is an unsold GT? I don't think that's likely. Many of those are probably Touring cars waiting to be sent out for PDI. They do have at least a few thousand reservations there to fulfill, and we heard unofficially from a holiday party source that most of the Touring orders for this year have already been built.
No, I wasn't assuming that. I was just making a point regarding the excess inventory that led to the incentives that we were discussing. None of us really know how many extra GT's they have or why they have them. It could have been due to cancelations and/or a decision to make more than they had ordered in an attempt to move more profitable vehicles. Either way, it's a shame that they have GT inventory sitting in a lot instead of Touring and Pure which would be much more likely to get delivered by the end of the year because they had been reserved/ordered long ago.

And yes, I understand that just because they could have possibly produced more Touring and Pure, that doesn't mean that they would be successful in delivering them. But they would not have to worry about *selling* them like they are with the GT's

If anything, the stock tanking would make the management & S.A being more humble.... This time last year, Lucid folks were talking as if they would take over the EV world.

I have friends & relatives working at Lucid, and I did hear that the management is quite arrogant - up until lately when they get beat up quite badly by WallStreet and the media. To Lucid's folks, the world missed out by not realizing how awesome Lucid EV tech is ...

Having a management team that is more humble, pragmatic, and stick to the ground will help the company in the long run.

I have friends & relatives working at Lucid, and I did hear that the management is quite arrogant - up until lately when they get beat up quite badly by WallStreet and the media. To Lucid's folks, the world missed out by not realizing how awesome Lucid EV tech is ...
They arent wrong, but I agree that being humble would help them.

Received the VIN on 12/9(ZR-Tahoe-TX) like everyone else here and the dashboard says 'In Production'.

I asked my DA for an update and his response was ' The vehicle is in mid-production status. It will be completed by the end of the week or early next week. '

Lets say if the car comes out of production early next week 12/20, then it has to be shipped to Houston, complete inspection and then shipped to Dallas. I have loan approved and ready.

In an ideal world, I am still hoping to take the delivery EOY.

My DA is Tony Nguyen, he is a super responsive and calm person. He never spill out beans ahead but always picks up the phone or respond to emails promptly.

Received the VIN on 12/9(ZR-Tahoe-TX) like everyone else here and the dashboard says 'In Production'.

I asked my DA for an update and his response was ' The vehicle is in mid-production status. It will be completed by the end of the week or early next week. '

Lets say if the car comes out of production early next week 12/20, then it has to be shipped to Houston, complete inspection and then shipped to Dallas. I have loan approved and ready.

My DA is Tony Nguyen, he is a super responsive and calm person. He never spill out beans ahead but always picks up the phone or respond to emails promptly.
While it's not ideal, you might consider talking with Tony about having them fly you to Houston and do your customer acceptance there. You would have to drive your new AT home, but at least you've taken some variability out your EOY equation. This is what I'm most likely going to do...

My DA just never replied to my email asking what this timetable meant. Last time we spoke on the phone he told me 1-3 months from VIN, then I got the email last week that it was in production. I'd like to know if that means actually on the line so I can go ahead and set up the loan.

I have a sneaking suspicion Lucid is looking to deliver as many cars by EOY to pump up numbers for the Q4 earnings report

While it's not ideal, you might consider talking with Tony about having them fly you to Houston and do your customer acceptance there. You would have to drive your new AT home, but at least you've taken some variability out your EOY equation. This is what I'm most likely going to do...
Sure, I have that as an option. Anything it takes to get delivery EOY.

Ours is RES 10/18/2021
Final 8/10/2022
Color Quantum Grey
Interior Tahoe
Roof Glass
Wheels 19"
Surreal Sound Pro Yes
DreamDrive Pro Yes
State AZ

Thanks for adding.

Back