Ordering and Delivery: Lucid Air Grand Touring

I bought a used Lucid Air Dream Edition 058 last Friday July 22nd. As of today, July 27th, Lucid still has not associated my car with my Lucid App. I complied with their demands to prove that I bought the car. I even sent them a picture of it parked in front of my house at the address that they have on file! Lucid contacted the seller and confirmed that I am the rightful owner. Five days later -- zippo (the Illinois DMV, arguably the most inefficient organization on the planet, took about 45 minutes).

Because Lucid refuses to activate my car, none of the connected services work (although the car constantly asks me to set up the app, Alexa, etc.). At one point, I was in Pensacola, Florida (the seller's location) in 100 degree and 100% humidity and I could not even get the air conditioning to function because the car was hung up on the registration screen. The prior owner told me that the only way to reliably open the doors is with the app, but the app won't recognize my car. Because Lucid STILL has not changed the car's registration on their end! Eventually I think/hope I figured out the key fob problem on my own.

Each one of my customer service interactions has been more frustrating that the last. Not one of those people has said anything like "welcome to Lucid." Or "how do you like the car so far?" None of them has given any indication that they care -- AT ALL. I have told them several times that I want to meet with Mr. Rawlinson (I offered to go to Arizona to see him). They won't even acknowledge that request. So far, I am impressed with the car but my interactions with the company have made me seriously consider whether I made a big mistake.

I have bought a lot of reasonably serious cars. I sold my 2022 Mercedes EQS 580 at a significant loss to make room for the Lucid. Candidly, so far, the Lucid car itself is a superior car to the Mercedes by any measure. But Lucid's customer service / owner interaction has been so dismally poor that I am considering ditching it. Unfortunately, the market seems to be saturated by existing owners willing to sell below MSRP. By now, any competent organization would have contacted each of those people to find out why. Obviously, nine out of eleven of those owners are not trying to score a windfall profit. They just want OUT. There are only 520 Dream Editions in the World. How hard would it be for Lucid to make them happy?

What a dumpster fire.

From another thread, but needs to be read by all who are on the fence about the car purchase and eventual resale.
The fob is definitely the most consistent way to open the car, or the keycard. The app is actually the least reliable.

Also, “I want to meet the CEO” is not generally going to be met with a “yes” in most companies?

Push on them re: getting it assigned to you though. It doesn’t surprise me that they don’t have a good process for this yet as not very many used Lucid’s have been sold yet.

I actually sign into the app once a day to see if I get this message. I figure it will automatically start showing once a VIN is assigned. Right now it just shows “No vehicle linked”
My app did not connect to the car until 3+ weeks post VIN assignment. When it did connect I thought I was getting close to delivery but that excitement has since cooled. Oddly enough today the car seems to have done a 180 in the location screen but still seems to be in the same place in the main lot of wrapped cars.

Hi Hope things are well with everyone. Which "Confirmation Date" are currently been delivered? thanks, just trying to understand the waitlist, I might just cancel if its more than 6 months.

Hi Hope things are well with everyone. Which "Confirmation Date" are currently been delivered? thanks, just trying to understand the waitlist, I might just cancel if its more than 6 months.
If you order today, you should get it within six months, I would think...

If you order today, you should get it within six months, I would think...
thanks. so since I reserved in May 28, 2021, confirmed it April 30th 2022, so it should be in the next couple of months for me? you think? thanks.

Yes, I’d be shocked if you didn’t get it within a couple of months.
thanks, I guess If I don't get the VIN in the next couple of weeks, I plan to cancel. the wait is ridiculous. thanks and good luck everyone waiting.....

thanks, I guess If I don't get the VIN in the next couple of weeks, I plan to cancel. the wait is ridiculous. thanks and good luck everyone waiting.....
:) ... I hope, sincerely, you get your VIN & your expectations are met ... But for me & a 'few' others, we keep thinking if 'this' does not happen by 'then', I'm going to cancel; but then I move the goal post & ... here I'm ... ;-) ... Like gambling, I keep throwing 'good' time against Lucid, hoping each day brings a better outcome ...

Kenny Rogers song Gambler comes to my mind ... "Every Lucid is a Winner; Every Lucid is a Loser" ...

YMMV. Good luck on your reservation. Cheers

:) ... I hope, sincerely, you get your VIN & your expectations are met ... But for me & a 'few' others, we keep thinking if 'this' does not happen by 'then', I'm going to cancel; but then I move the goal post & ... here I'm ... ;-) ... Like gambling, I keep throwing 'good' time against Lucid, hoping each day brings a better outcome ...

Kenny Rogers song Gambler comes to my mind ... "Every Lucid is a Winner; Every Lucid is a Loser" ...

Have you seen this video?

Have you seen this video?
Yup. More than once. And the other videos as well ... Hence the gravitation to Lucid is still strong .... I *really* think (would like to believe also) that it *will be* the best automobile I will ever own. Simple.

(Not that my garage was exotic to begin with, to compare, but I have owned my fair share of german cars & the upper end Japanese. But, for all said & done, my absolute favorite was my 2017 Ford Escape. That vehicle was an all-rounder.)

There are 34 Grey vehicles ahead of you in the tracker. Multiply by 20 and, all things being equal, 680 Grey cars need to be produced before you get yours. At the current production rate, and current PDI and transport, late August VIN and October delivery seem likely. Unless they make batches of different colors before they get to your April date. For example, there are about 400 Reds ahead of you by confirm date. I have no idea how the batches are sequenced or how the choice of color or interior has an impact on the production cycle. Perhaps the factory increases production to 30/day and the trucking issues get fixed, then you could shave 4-6 weeks off my seat of the pants estimates. VINs
4 months post confirm and delivery 6 months after confirm sound reasonable today. However, there are about 50 cars in the tracker without VINs, with a March or earlier confirm date, including mine. That translates to factory production of 1000 cars, just to satisfy those confirms.

Yup. More than once. And the other videos as well ... Hence the gravitation to Lucid is still strong .... I *really* think (would like to believe also) that it *will be* the best automobile I will ever own. Simple.

(Not that my garage was exotic to begin with, to compare, but I have owned my fair share of german cars & the upper end Japanese. But, for all said & done, my absolute favorite was my 2017 Ford Escape. That vehicle was an all-rounder.)
Interesting answer. Thanks.

So... I spoke today with someone a couple of rungs above my DA in the Lucid corporate structure. While making it clear that she could neither confirm nor deny that there was a specific issue with the car whose VIN was assigned to me 10 weeks ago, she offered to issue me a new VIN for an identical car ready to ship from the factory. Not a cancelled order from another customer according to her; I accepted, of course. I certainly hope it is not a vehicle that would have otherwise gone to someone else on this forum, but I would be lying if I said I am sorry if it is. There apparently are some extra internal processes to associate my order with a different VIN, so I am still not holding my breath, but I did offer to pick it up at Riviera Beach instead of home delivery as she indicated that would get me the car quite a bit sooner, and with the full-fledged delivery experience. Looking forward to it.

It’s all about hope. The same reason people buy lottery tickets. 😂

The problem is also that there really isn’t anything better to buy that would be available sooner. It’s a lot easier to move the goal posts for a few more months than to put a deposit down on something like a Rivian and possibly wait years. Maybe someone could find an EQS, but that would seem anti-climactic after test driving a GT. Plus, it looks like an upside down bathtub to quote a forum member. I’ve pondered getting a Taycan, but that range is a non-starter. Tesla? Fugedabouditt. So, move the goal post and wait it is.

So... I spoke today with someone a couple of rungs above my DA in the Lucid corporate structure. While making it clear that she could neither confirm nor deny that there was a specific issue with the car whose VIN was assigned to me 10 weeks ago, she offered to issue me a new VIN for an identical car ready to ship from the factory. Not a cancelled order from another customer according to her; I accepted, of course. I certainly hope it is not a vehicle that would have otherwise gone to someone else on this forum, but I would be lying if I said I am sorry if it is. There apparently are some extra internal processes to associate my order with a different VIN, so I am still not holding my breath, but I did offer to pick it up at Riviera Beach instead of home delivery as she indicated that would get me the car quite a bit sooner, and with the full-fledged delivery experience. Looking forward to it.
My DA don’t even respond to my email and very junior

My DA don’t even respond to my email and very junior
Same.. My DA reached out 35 days ago requesting my vehicle registration information and he never responded to some very basic questions I had. I sent another email 3 days ago, and no response.

Oh, and caveat emptor on a grey GT with Tahoe interiors VIN ending in 1640

Same.. My DA reached out 35 days ago requesting my vehicle registration information and he never responded to some very basic questions I had. I sent another email 3 days ago, and no response.
Mine has also stopped responding.
I did ask her a rather stupid question , so perhaps I deserve the silent treatment.😁😁😁

Oh okay well as long as you’re still going to provide no evidence and just complain guess we’re all good here
Yes we are and very high level people are involved in helping me at Lucid and the Car is being taken to Houston tomorrow to address 10 issues.

I am not sure why you want to make me out as the villain. I spent 150K on this Car. It is in my best interest that it works for me but unlike some folks here I absolutely will not accept everything under the caveat “you should have known you were buying a new vehicle from a startup”.

Hopefully every item will be addressed and we will live happily ever after.

Thank you for sharing all your wisdom and insight here.

Hope everyone gets a great Lucid. I intentionally ordered the 20” wheels to delay delivery until bugs are worked out. Since then the Cosmos Silver has insured plenty of delay so switched to the 21s. Omar my DA has been very responsive, I schedule a phone call once a month and he tells me there are delays but he calls right on time. I really don’t care when I get the car so no problem waiting. Maybe my car funds that are in the market will make a big run up and I will be happy I was delayed.

Back