My experience supercharging with magic dock

valentin.horner@

Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Lucid Air Pure AWD
Last weekend I took a little trip to the closest supercharger with magic dock in Kremmling, CO.

Parking was a little awkward since the superchargers are arranged with Teslas in mind (charge port on the rear driver-side).
The Tesla app explains everything in details and starting a charge was very straightforward. Funnily, the handshake time was faster than EA (I guesstimate half the wait time for the charge to actually start).

As expected I only got 48kw out of the charger (limit due to the car converting 400v to 800v at a max of 50kw).

I charged for a little less than 20 minutes, got 14kwh and paid $7.

I am looking forward to Tesla making more of these available, I think with the reliability of EA, having a backup option at superchargers, even if it's only 50kw beats getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.

1000013104.jpg

1000013105.jpg
1000013106.jpg

Last weekend I took a little trip to the closest supercharger with magic dock in Kremmling, CO.

Parking was a little awkward since the superchargers are arranged with Teslas in mind (charge port on the rear driver-side).
The Tesla app explains everything in details and starting a charge was very straightforward. Funnily, the handshake time was faster than EA (I guesstimate half the wait time for the charge to actually start).

As expected I only got 48kw out of the charger (limit due to the car converting 400v to 800v at a max of 50kw).

I charged for a little less than 20 minutes, got 14kwh and paid $7.

I am looking forward to Tesla making more of these available, I think with the reliability of EA, having a backup option at superchargers, even if it's only 50kw beats getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.

View attachment 15892
View attachment 15893View attachment 15894
What is the adapter you used, where did you get it?

The Magic Dock is built into the Tesla Super Charger. It allows CCS cars to use Super Charger.
Got it. So, it's a matter of finding them.

Tesla V3 station cable is 6 ft, V4 station cable will be 9 ft and more flexible for Lucid Air.

Note, there are limited numbers of them scattered around the US.

About 30+ now, som are are really remote places, I’m surprised Kentucky, Indiana, Missouri, Mississippi, Lousianna all have them now.
At this rate, we might see 50 stations by year’s end.

From @AirDoll , Sparks,NV just opened up a V4 stall

Yes. You can use the Tesla app to find the superchargers, there is an option for "charge your non-Tesla" and it shows a map with red pins for the CCS superchargers.View attachment 15897

Kremmling? What a god forsaken place. Unless rafting. I hope you took the scenic route through RMNP.

I took that trip just to test the supercharger :)
Didn't go through Estes though, did Masonville, Walden then Kremmling. Since I had time I went a little further to Steamboat Springs to test the Chargepoint and drove back home with the 70, via Kremmling again :)
Did about 400 miles in an afternoon, very pleasant drive through the different landscapes.

I took that trip just to test the supercharger :)
Didn't go through Estes though, did Masonville, Walden then Kremmling. Since I had time I went a little further to Steamboat Springs to test the Chargepoint and drove back home with the 70, via Kremmling again :)
Did about 400 miles in an afternoon, very pleasant drive through the different landscapes.
Way to go Val! Looks to me like only 3 in state and Kremmling was the closest.

At least CO has 4 of these Magic Dock SC. We only have 2 in California.
I think California has too many CCS stations. Tesla is balancing out, but I’m sure they upgrade MagicDock to their less busy station but critical route pt.

I see many more Tesla chargers available with CCS. Any recent experiences and advice?

No recent experience, but the technical part hasn't changed, you should see these CCS superchargers as a backup solution only. The 50kw limit is still true and the cost is prohibitive for such a slow charge speed. You'll take nearly 2 hours to fully charge your Lucid, and you'll pay about $50 for that at most superchargers :(

okay. So it essentially cost you 50 cents per kW to get 14kW for $7. I agree it will certainly be nice in the case of an emergency vs. getting stranded but as a 'norm' I have no interest in all honesty. I just paid 20 cents per kW in Dubuque, Iowa last week at 'the City of Dubuque' fast charger that was only rated at 100kW but at least delivered 84Kw to me in 19 degree weather (car was not finished with its pre-conditioning). I saw someone else got 97 properly pre-conditioned which is way more acceptable to me (especially given the price!)

Back