Lucid Vehicles and the Secondary Market

LowOnCash

Cars
BMW I4 / Kia EV6 /
Hello Guys - I've been considering adding a Lucid to my EV fleet for over a year now but before pulling the trigger I wanted to give the car some time to see how they hold up in real life situations. Lately its un-nerving to see how many owners are dumping their Lucids for either problems or realizing the limited range is unacceptable for their needs.

Here's a few links; Car.com has 48 used Lucids and another 25 on TrueCar. Most have minimum mileage around only 2500 miles. While many some are privately owned many are listed thru BMW, Jaguar, etc. dealers where I presume they were traded. Some listings even show 2 owners. Regretfully, this quick turn around can only destroy Lucids trade value when there are hundreds to choose from.

Thanks - Mike

Cars.Com Search

TrueCar

Truecar.png

There are 262 Rivians for sale on Autotrader. Doesnt mean anything other than someone made a poor financial choice, wanted to profit from the scarcity in the past, their financial situation changing, or changed their mind.

IMHO the question to ask: is the percentage of newly purchased Lucids being listed for sale greater than that for competing cars (e.g. EQS, Model S)?

Also:
  • The tech sector is shedding a lot of highly paid workers right now who might no longer afford their Lucids.
  • It's a reasonable guess that first-year GTs have more quality issues than newer cars and the owners may be tired of it.
  • Basically no EV has a better real-world range than Lucid. Tesla and ICEs are widely considered better for long road trips.
  • $148k for a used Touring? What?
Overall, I'm happy with my car. It's not perfect but it's considerably better than the problem reports on this forum would have you believe (although it's only been like a week).

My guess is it's not really a true 48, but let's go ahead and pretend the 48 is a legitimate number for a minute. Here's a potential breakdown of reasons:
1. Change in financial status
2. Decided EV wasn't for them
3. Couldn't handle/operate a high tech computer on wheels
4. Didn't like all of the attention the beautiful beast garnered
5. Spouse said it's too fast and demanded they get rid of it
6. Made assumptions about the car that didn't live up to their ridiculous expectations
7. Some of those cars say 0 owners, so it might just be a reservation they are trying to sell
8. None of our business ;)
9. 48 is NOT A MAJOR NUMBER
10. It's not because they are failing, so it shouldn't be un-nerving to you

How they hold up in real life situations? They hold up just fine. Certainly no worse than many new cars out there.

Unless you’re planning on selling your Lucid pretty soon after you buy it I wouldn’t fret about the number of Lucid Airs on the used car market. If you’re intending to hold on to the car for many years anyway - who cares?

Unless you’re planning on selling your Lucid pretty soon after you buy it I wouldn’t fret about the number of Lucid Airs on the used car market. If you’re intending to hold on to the car for many years anyway - who cares?
It's a legitimate concern. If you get bored of cars after even three years, if lots of people are dumping their Lucids now, depreciation when you're ready to move on to another toy will bite you.

Personally, I'm much more interested in the driving feel and comfort of a car than its tech, and I don't think this has much improved in the luxury car segment in recent years. It was not till I test drove a Lucid that I felt there was a large enough improvement over my '15 garden variety E-class, in a car that met all my other requirements. I anticipate it will be several years until something comes down the pike much better than a Lucid.

I think the current economy will be playing into this as well. As others have mentioned, people are losing jobs in high paying industries and it might be best to offload an expensive car while you can to get a big chunk of change to see you through. I was in the process of getting a pool built in the backyard. Had the plans, approvals all in place to proceed. With everything that's going on in the market at the moment I pulled the pin and told the contractor we'll re-assess in 6 months. There's just a lot of uncertainty at the moment and "luxury" items are the first to be put on the chopping block.

I intend to buy my Lucid and enjoy it. All car purchases should be considered a liability. Only buy what you can afford to lose. I have never been concerned about resale. But I'm that guy who uses his car, puts on a load of miles, and enjoys doing so.

There are 175 Mercedes electric cars being “dumped” on Cars.com right now. Is this supposed to mean that they are being sold because of systemic problems or is it possible that people just sell cars? Nothing to see here.

There are 262 Rivians for sale on Autotrader. Doesnt mean anything other than someone made a poor financial choice, wanted to profit from the scarcity in the past, their financial situation changing, or changed their mind.
Regretfully all the wonderful electric pickups which was going to change the way we all work, fell flat on their face. After dealers tacking on 20-40k over MSRP they can give them away now. Nearly every one sold has gone back for gas powered trucks. All the projected range hype was just a fantasy. Owners were having to re-charge every 75-100 miles with tiny 10 ft work trailers. Rivian is history as well, you can now buy one with two batteries instead of one and there still isn't range for work.

Let's not fool ourselves, of the hundreds of thousands of executive who drive hi-end luxury cars like Benz and BMW, these guys are not going punish themselves driving around at 55 mph with just the seats on peering at the range stats. The many Lucid shown on Cars .Com are just that, executive car owners who thought they could go all electric and found out its not quite as easy as manufactures make it sound. These guys don't have the time or patience to sit around planning charging stops and calculating battery temperatures nor sit for 30-45 minutes re-charging, it just doesn't work that way in the real business world. Present day electric cars (all of them) are great for a select group who like to tinker and calculate but not for those who drive for a purpose.

A typical example of whats happening to Lucid has already happened to the Porsche Taycan - Just checked and there is "698" of them for sale on just Cars.Com alone, not including Porsche dealers. How would you like to be a Taycan owner trying to trade now. The Taycan is a flop, a guy I fly with bought one and he had to stop going on weekend rides with the Porsche group because even on short trip he needed to re-charge. Sorry 20 other gas powered Porsche owners are not going to wait at a charge station for him. Another problem is the places we all like to travel on weekends don't have charging stations. The Taycan 300 mile range is really 125-150 if you want to drive it like a Porsche.

Until solid state batteries are available in EV's with 600-800 "Real Miles", work & business travel is out. Presently all EV's to include the Lucid are just something to play and tinker with or visit the grand kids or ride around showing it off even though nobody knows what it is.

Best Regards - Mike

porsche carscom.png

Last edited:
Regretfully all the wonderful electric pickups which was going to change the way we all work, fell flat on their face. After dealers tacking on 20-40k over MSRP they can give them away now. Nearly every one sold has gone back for gas powered trucks. All the projected range hype was just a fantasy. Owners were having to re-charge every 75-100 miles with tiny 10 ft work trailers. Rivian is history as well, you can now buy one with two batteries instead of one and there still isn't range for work.

Let's not fool ourselves, of the hundreds of thousands of executive who drive hi-end luxury cars like Benz and BMW, these guys are not going punish themselves driving around at 55 mph with just the seats on peering at the range stats. The many Lucid shown on Cars .Com are just that, executive car owners who thought they could go all electric and found out its not quite as easy as manufactures make it sound. These guys don't have the time or patience to sit around planning charging stops and calculating battery temperatures nor sit for 30-45 minutes re-charging, it just doesn't work that way in the real business world. Present day electric cars (all of them) are great for a select group who like to tinker and calculate but not for those who drive for a purpose.

A typical example of whats happening to Lucid has already happened to the Porsche Taycan - Just checked and there is 698 of them for sale on just Cars.Com alone. The Taycan is a Joke, a guy I fly with bought one and he had to stop going on weekend rides with the Porsche group because even on short trip he needed to re-charge. Sorry 20 other gas powered Porsche owners are not going to wait at a charge station for him. Another problem is the places we all like to travel on weekends don't have charging stations. The Taycan 300 mile range is really 125-150 if you want to drive it like a Porsche.

Until solid state batteries are available in EV's with 600-800 "Real Miles", work & business travel is out. Presently all EV's to include the Lucid are just something to play and tinker with or visit the grand kids or ride around showing it off even though nobody knows what it is.

Best Regards - Mike

View attachment 9725
So you had already concluded what the “correct” answer should be, instead of listening to actual owners? Got it. Seems like clickbait to me.

Why not consider a used Chevy Bolt if that is what budget allows and why waste the time on this forum?

Hello Guys - I've been considering adding a Lucid to my EV fleet for over a year now but before pulling the trigger I wanted to give the car some time to see how they hold up in real life situations. Lately its un-nerving to see how many owners are dumping their Lucids for either problems or realizing the limited range is unacceptable for their needs.

Here's a few links; Car.com has 48 used Lucids and another 25 on TrueCar. Most have minimum mileage around only 2500 miles. While many some are privately owned many are listed thru BMW, Jaguar, etc. dealers where I presume they were traded. Some listings even show 2 owners. Regretfully, this quick turn around can only destroy Lucids trade value when there are hundreds to choose from.

Thanks - Mike

Cars.Com Search

TrueCar

View attachment 9710

I am not looking to flip a Lucid, I bought one to drive. So far I am 13,870 miles in and happy. Not a single service visit for problems. It's been the most reliable new car I have purchased in that regard. I took it back this week for a routine maintenence service -- rotate tires, new wiper blades, check break lines, etc. The frunk was sticking a bit so Lucid insisted on replacing both latches as a free warranty service as well. My Air GT is not for sale BTW. I personally do not care much about resale since I tend to buy cars new and drive them hard and well into six digits on the odometer. But I love this car so much I may some day trade back to Lucid for a Sapphire but who knows?

A typical example of whats happening to Lucid has already happened to the Porsche Taycan - Just checked and there is "698" of them for sale on just Cars.Com alone, not including Porsche dealers. How would you like to be a Taycan owner trying to trade now. The Taycan is a flop, a guy I fly with bought one and he had to stop going on weekend rides with the Porsche group because even on short trip he needed to re-charge. Sorry 20 other gas powered Porsche owners are not going to wait at a charge station for him. Another problem is the places we all like to travel on weekends don't have charging stations. The Taycan 300 mile range is really 125-150 if you want to drive it like a Porsche.

Best Regards - Mike

View attachment 9725
Hey Mike, thank you for doing a lot of in-depth analysis and research for our community here.

What's life without some toys to tinker with and enjoy. I've never been happier with a car purchase than I have with my Lucid and there are plenty of owners here who feel the same. 😁

Cars, with a very few notable exceptions, are a depreciating asset. Once I decide which car I want, I enjoy it without worrying about what other people think, what the price has changed to, or what the resale value is.

Considering how many Rivians I see on a daily basis, I'm thinking you are wrong about the trucks. At least in my area. I am even starting to see more and more Ford trucks as well. Some people are even using them as actual trucks (not just toys) for their business (shocking, i know)!

Also, I'm not sure what you know about the life of an executive, but driving an electric car is not a stretch. Sure, they may be on a call when they get home and forget to plug in, but having a car with high range helps so that is not a big issue. Do you think they are commuting 100s of miles a day? Do you think they are so clueless they don't know how to charge a car, or cannot afford to install a charger at home? Do you think they care about range so much, or the cost of electricity, they would drive way under the speed limit? Here's a neat fact - executives can also make sure chargers are added to the parking lots where they work! You are making some very odd assumptions. You seem to think executives are like a Dilbert cartoon.

So you had already concluded what the “correct” answer should be, instead of listening to actual owners? Got it. Seems like clickbait to me.
I agree. Lots of assumptions and just looking to stir up trouble in an EV forum.

The Taycan is a flop
Give me a break! Do some research before spouting off such statements

"On 7 November, the 100,000th Taycan rolled off the production line. The milestone car left the assembly line about three years after production first started at the main plant in Zuffenhausen in September 2019. The Neptune Blue Taycan Turbo S is destined for a customer in the United Kingdom. “We are very pleased to have reached this milestone in production history so quickly – despite the recent challenges posed by the semiconductor shortage and the volatile Covid situation,” says Kevin Giek, Vice President Model Line Taycan. “With the Taycan, we have made a decidedly successful start in the electric age.”

"Porsche delivered just over 300,000 vehicles globally last year, and 41,296 of them were the all-electric Taycan, which even sold more globally than the Porsche 911 last year."

Back