Lucid Vehicles and the Secondary Market

"Porsche delivered just over 300,000 vehicles globally last year, and 41,296 of them were the all-electric Taycan, which even sold more globally than the Porsche 911 last year."
I'm sorry, but any number less than 41,297 is technically a flop.

Give me a break! Do some research before spouting off such statements

"On 7 November, the 100,000th Taycan rolled off the production line. The milestone car left the assembly line about three years after production first started at the main plant in Zuffenhausen in September 2019. The Neptune Blue Taycan Turbo S is destined for a customer in the United Kingdom. “We are very pleased to have reached this milestone in production history so quickly – despite the recent challenges posed by the semiconductor shortage and the volatile Covid situation,” says Kevin Giek, Vice President Model Line Taycan. “With the Taycan, we have made a decidedly successful start in the electric age.”

"Porsche delivered just over 300,000 vehicles globally last year, and 41,296 of them were the all-electric Taycan, which even sold more globally than the Porsche 911 last year."

What are you doing bringing facts to the conversation!!?! You'll ruin everything.

Actually, I also believe that the Taycan is a flop — not because of lack of sales but because of horrendous lack of efficiency. It’s one of the least efficient EVs on sale. Lousy range and small battery. I had a deposit on one before any shipped and cancelled my order when I saw how poorly it performed. I have owned several ICE Porsche and love them. I had thought that the Taycan would be a Tesla killer but it clearly is not, and surprisingly bad as an EV. Have a look at the efficiency comparison.

Attachments

• 2FEC5B47-4849-45E2-9837-523442DEA313.png
    2FEC5B47-4849-45E2-9837-523442DEA313.png
    222.7 KB · Views: 113
A typical example of whats happening to Lucid has already happened to the Porsche Taycan - Just checked and there is "698" of them for sale on just Cars.Com alone, not including Porsche dealers. How would you like to be a Taycan owner trying to trade now. The Taycan is a flop, a guy I fly with bought one and he had to stop going on weekend rides with the Porsche group because even on short trip he needed to re-charge. Sorry 20 other gas powered Porsche owners are not going to wait at a charge station for him. Another problem is the places we all like to travel on weekends don't have charging stations. The Taycan 300 mile range is really 125-150 if you want to drive it like a Porsche.

I think you may be exaggerating the problem. Many of the users you describe can live quite comfortably with the Lucid range without worrying about it and driving 75+ on highways, etc. Out of curiousity, I checked cars.com using an adjacent zip code and there were five Lucid Airs for sale within 50 miles and one was "sale pending". There were 13 Taycans using the same standard.

Actually, I also believe that the Taycan is a flop — not because of lack of sales but because of horrendous lack of efficiency. It’s one of the least efficient EVs on sale. Lousy range and small battery. I had a deposit on one before any shipped and cancelled my order when I saw how poorly it performed. I have owned several ICE Porsche and love them. I had thought that the Taycan would be a Tesla killer but it clearly is not, and surprisingly bad as an EV. Have a look at the efficiency comparison.
I really dont think Porsche ever set out to make an efficient EV.. its closer to a "gas guzzler" of the EV world, just like the Hummer EV

AZ - same thing here, I transferred my Taycan deposit to a beautiful Porsche Panamera Hybrid, I loved the car, great power, build quality and interior. She was a plug-in with a 14.1 kwh pack so you can travel around 35 miles all electric enough for me to get to town and back. When the battery ran out, the V6 engine kicked in for a total of 457 hp / 516 lbs torque.Not anywhere the speed of a Lucid but plenty for an old guy like me. You could also recharge the battery from the engine for additional stealth driving or for pulling in the garage fume free. The Panamera now has 60 mile of range. I wish someone would offer a 50/50 gas electric EV with 100 miles of electric and a gas engine, sort like the Cadillac ELR but with more range. Dodge announced they would be releasing their electric pickup with a gas generator which could power the truck after the battery dies - so maybe there will be a trend here!

For just general interest on the Hybrid Panamera and to see how the motor is located in the torque converter housing and seamlessly engages and disengages with the engine, electric to gas, gas to electric or both. I wrote an extensive In-Depth review on the Panamera Hybrid - Enjoy Mike

Porsche Panamera Hybrid Link

Last edited:
Maybe efficiency isn’t everything to people. Look at the e-Tron, its efficiency is also crap but is still a popular model and sells well.

For me, I want an efficient EV but clearly it doesn’t bother people as much as we think.

AZ - same thing here, I transferred my Taycan deposit to a beautiful Porsche Panamera Hybrid, I loved the car, great power, build quality and interior. She was a plug-in with a 14.1 kwh pack so you can travel around 35 miles all electric enough for me to get to town and back. When the battery ran out, the V6 engine kicked in for a total of 457 hp / 516 lbs torque.Not anywhere the speed of a Lucid but plenty for an old guy like me. You could also recharge the battery from the engine for additional stealth driving or for pulling in the garage fume free. The Panamera now has 60 mile of range. I wish someone would offer a 50/50 gas electric EV with 100 miles of electric and a gas engine, sort like the Cadillac ELR but with more range. Dodge announced they would be releasing their electric pickup with a gas generator which could power the truck after the battery dies - so maybe there will be a trend here!

For just general interest on the Hybrid Panamera and to see how the motor is located in the torque converter housing and seamlessly engages and disengages with the engine, electric to gas, gas to electric or both. I wrote an extensive In-Depth review on the Panamera Hybrid - Enjoy Mike

This thread is about Lucid vehicles on the secondary market. If you would like to talk about other vehicles that you enjoy or own, please post on the General Automotive area here: https://lucidowners.com/forums/general-automotive-ev-talk.10/

My sister has a 20 Cayenne Hybrid; I find it horribly lacking in a “neither fish nor fowl” sort of way. Perhaps the Panamera Hybrid is different, but I strongly prefer my Cayenne Turbo S to that awkward automotive amphibian.

I see where the clickbait is now. But I have to admire your great review of Panamerica Hybrid.
What an interesting unique beast! 8-speed manual transmission with dual clutches and motor-regen and brake-regen? Let me understand this. If this is 4 pedaling vehicle, how can you go from 0-60mph in 4 seconds? I cannot even cha-cha-cha that fast.

I agree and disagree with many points you brought here.
Nearly every one sold has gone back for gas powered trucks. All the projected range hype was just a fantasy. Owners were having to re-charge every 75-100 miles with tiny 10 ft work trailers. Rivian is history as well, you can now buy one with two batteries instead of one and there still isn't range for work.
I disagree “near everyone sold has gone back to gas trucks”. Most Rivian trucks are sold to recreational families that want truck or SUV for practicality of moving things and out of city off-road fun. It is not your traditional segment or workman’s horse trucks. I don’t think EVs as current state practical in hauling trailers, but there are still many retirees haul RV trailers with Rivian. Time is not luxury for retiree at charging station to enjoy cup of coffee in their trailer.
Let's not fool ourselves, of the hundreds of thousands of executive who drive hi-end luxury cars like Benz and BMW, these guys are not going punish themselves driving around at 55 mph with just the seats on peering at the range stats. The many Lucid shown on Cars .Com are just that, executive car owners who thought they could go all electric and found out its not quite as easy as manufactures make it sound. These guys don't have the time or patience to sit around planning charging stops and calculating battery temperatures nor sit for 30-45 minutes re-charging, it just doesn't work that way in the real business world. Present day electric cars (all of them) are great for a select group who like to tinker and calculate but not for those who drive for a purpose.
COMPLETELY DISAGREE!
Most executives rather ride commercial plane or small private charter than driving around, and certainly they can afford to have an extra car that is EV parked in their garage. Hardly any executive would have luxury to drive 4~6 hours a day, so for Lucid, 1-2 charging stop is not a deal breaker but a luxurious convenience. And besides, executives who bough in these cars also understand Air and Taycan can charge much fast than other EVs.
A typical example of whats happening to Lucid has already happened to the Porsche Taycan - Just checked and there is "698" of them for sale on just Cars.Com alone, not including Porsche dealers. How would you like to be a Taycan owner trying to trade now. The Taycan is a flop, a guy I fly with bought one and he had to stop going on weekend rides with the Porsche group because even on short trip he needed to re-charge. Sorry 20 other gas powered Porsche owners are not going to wait at a charge station for him. Another problem is the places we all like to travel on weekends don't have charging stations. The Taycan 300 mile range is really 125-150 if you want to drive it like a Porsche.
Cars.com only represent 0.7% of total Taycan production. Many of them on sale are just dealership flippers. Even if you buy a brand new Taycan, you have to go thru dealership MSRP mark-up.

In the end, it’s mostly boiled down to economic and some let go because of poor charging infrastructure around their geographical area. They didnot let go because EVs are not ready for prime time and inconveniences. EV is actually too convenient to be charged at one’s own garage, never had to go to gas station and ease of maintenance than going to car dealers to get fleeced at servicing.

These sellers are mostly dealers (majority of them less than 300 miles used cars), speculators and financially have been affected individuals. Not bc EVs are not good enough now.

I see where the clickbait is now. But I have to admire your great review of Panamerica Hybrid.
What an interesting unique beast! 8-speed manual transmission with dual clutches and motor-regen and brake-regen? Let me understand this. If this is 4 pedaling vehicle, how can you go from 0-60mph in 4 seconds? I cannot even cha-cha-cha that fast.
Hello and thanks for the reply - There is no click bait, it's my personal non sponcered web site there is no advertising I have nothing to sell. I have never accepted one dime nor one item from a manufacture, I pay just like everyone does. All my writing are only in place to help EV and RV owners to better understand their vehicles.

Best Regards - Mike

Maybe efficiency isn’t everything to people. Look at the e-Tron, its efficiency is also crap but is still a popular model and sells well.

For me, I want an efficient EV but clearly it doesn’t bother people as much as we think.
Efficiency does not seem to bother people yet. However, many are still driving their first EV. When they realize how poor their actual range is they will probably look for more efficient vehicles for subsequent purchases. This is where Lucid will shine in the long run. I have no evidence to support my hunch but it is my thought.

Also efficiency should lead to lower priced entry level EVs. Lucid’s drivetrain efficiency will allow them the produce a model 3 competitor with similar size and performance with a smaller battery pack which should lead to a price advantage.

Let Porsche build a “gas guzzling” (actually electron guzzling) Taycan with no concern about efficiency. That’s easy if you want to build $150K speedy toy cars for the wealthy. It’s not a mainstream high volume strategy.

I am guessing Lucid will trickle down the Air efficiency into a small to midsize as yet unnamed car which will break new ground in terms of price/performance. Being that the Air is so expensive and high end, this may sound wrong but I think that this is where Lucid is going. Again just my guess.

I am guessing Lucid will trickle down the Air efficiency into a small to midsize as yet unnamed car which will break new ground in terms of price/performance. Being that the Air is so expensive and high end, this may sound wrong but I think that this is where Lucid is going. Again just my guess.
I think they've publicly alluded to that strategy. Assuming Lucid survives long enough on Gravity sales, PIF largesse, and possibly tech licensing deals, it will be interesting to see the secondary market churn of the Lucid "Model 3" against what will be a wide field of competitors.

(OK, back on topic? :p)

Regretfully all the wonderful electric pickups which was going to change the way we all work, fell flat on their face. After dealers tacking on 20-40k over MSRP they can give them away now. Nearly every one sold has gone back for gas powered trucks. All the projected range hype was just a fantasy. Owners were having to re-charge every 75-100 miles with tiny 10 ft work trailers. Rivian is history as well, you can now buy one with two batteries instead of one and there still isn't range for work.

Let's not fool ourselves, of the hundreds of thousands of executive who drive hi-end luxury cars like Benz and BMW, these guys are not going punish themselves driving around at 55 mph with just the seats on peering at the range stats. The many Lucid shown on Cars .Com are just that, executive car owners who thought they could go all electric and found out its not quite as easy as manufactures make it sound. These guys don't have the time or patience to sit around planning charging stops and calculating battery temperatures nor sit for 30-45 minutes re-charging, it just doesn't work that way in the real business world. Present day electric cars (all of them) are great for a select group who like to tinker and calculate but not for those who drive for a purpose.

Until solid state batteries are available in EV's with 600-800 "Real Miles", work & business travel is out. Presently all EV's to include the Lucid are just something to play and tinker with or visit the grand kids or ride around showing it off even though nobody knows what it is.

Best Regards - Mike

View attachment 9725
I frequently drive my Lucid like a Porsche and have no problem getting over 300 miles of range. Going on a weekend drive with a group of BMW M5s is no problem either in range or pace.

Back