Lucid Connected Home Charging Station speed

QuantumFire

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT
Referral Code
U9XVNBTQ
Yesterday I had a 100A service added to my garage with a 100A breaker and connected the Lucid Connected Home Charging station. Dip switches set to UUUD. Today I tested it out and received 17 kW charging speed. The documentation/advertising says it should be 19.4 kW. I realize this is nit-picking, but I'd like to get the advertised charging speed, or understand why I'm not.

I did forget to pre-condition because I'm an EV noob and was overly excited to test out the charger. Could this be why the charging speed was below spec? The electrician is coming back next week to finish some work and I can ask them to take a look at anything you think could be the problem.

Thanks!

Yesterday I had a 100A service added to my garage with a 100A breaker and connected the Lucid Connected Home Charging station. Dip switches set to UUUD. Today I tested it out and received 17 kW charging speed. The documentation/advertising says it should be 19.4 kW. I realize this is nit-picking, but I'd like to get the advertised charging speed, or understand why I'm not.

I did forget to pre-condition because I'm an EV noob and was overly excited to test out the charger. Could this be why the charging speed was below spec? The electrician is coming back next week to finish some work and I can ask them to take a look at anything you think could be the problem.

Thanks!
What SOC were you at?

Thanks!
What was the state of charge when you plugged in?

SOC doesnt matter with the LCHC. It should give you around 18 / 19kw. That is what I typically get. Pre-conditioning is only for fast charging at EA for example.

Thanks!
You should be charging at 80 amps. Actual kW at this current level depends on your line voltage. If you aren't getting 80 amps, have the electrician wiggle/double check the dip switch setting.

I believe what is displayed on the car's screen is the kW that being put into the battery pack. I think the rest of the power is being used to run all the other electronics, such as the A/C to D/C converter, fans, etc. When I had an older Tesla with dual chargers it would display 19+kW at home. As a matter of fact, charging at the office which had a 277V J1772 charger, it would show the 22kW!

I have never seen more than 18kW displayed in my car at home and I have checked the line voltage, and due to solar production it is often even more than 240V (240V*80A=19.2kW).

I believe what is displayed on the car's screen is the kW that being put into the battery pack. I think the rest of the power is being used to run all the other electronics, such as the A/C to D/C converter, fans, etc. When I had an older Tesla with dual chargers it would display 19+kW at home. As a matter of fact, charging at the office which had a 277V J1772 charger, it would show the 22kW!

I have never seen more than 18kW displayed in my car at home and I have checked the line voltage, and due to solar production it is often even more than 240V (240V*80A=19.2kW).
The Lucid Store says, "Our fastest home charging station is capable of charging up to 80 miles of range per hour (80 Amps, 240 Volts)"

My charging rate showed 71 mi/hr at 17 kW. Since I had the house upgraded to 200 Amps with a 100 Amp sub-panel installed in the garage with a 100 Amp breaker, I was expecting to get the full charging rate. I'll talk to the electrician about it when they come back next week. Probably not much they can do, just annoying that I had all the work done to get the max charge rate and I'm not getting the max charge rate.

The Lucid Store says, "Our fastest home charging station is capable of charging up to 80 miles of range per hour (80 Amps, 240 Volts)"

My charging rate showed 71 mi/hr at 17 kW. Since I had the house upgraded to 200 Amps with a 100 Amp sub-panel installed in the garage with a 100 Amp breaker, I was expecting to get the full charging rate. I'll talk to the electrician about it when they come back next week. Probably not much they can do, just annoying that I had all the work done to get the max charge rate and I'm not getting the max charge rate.
Mine shows 74 mi/charge hour. I’m pleased with that.

@QuantumFire I have a the full 100 Amp breaker and I can tell you the charging speed varies per charge. Sometimes 17 kW and sometimes 18kW. Regardless, it's great and the fastest home charging available.

This has to do with your electrical setup.

220V x 80A = 17,600 W or 17.6 kW
240V x 80A = 19,200 W or 19.2 kW

So it sounds like your voltage is not at 240V, which is pretty standard; I similarly get 17ish kW.

What I find especially hilarious is as I was trying to find a resource to link to, the top result was a comment from @DeaneG on the Nissan Leaf forums about this very issue haha, but for the Leaf.

What I find especially hilarious is as I was trying to find a resource to link to, the top result was a comment from @DeaneG on the Nissan Leaf forums about this very issue haha, but for the Leaf.
At this point I'm on auto-repeat from 2011!

This has to do with your electrical setup.

220V x 80A = 17,600 W or 17.6 kW
240V x 80A = 19,200 W or 19.2 kW

So it sounds like your voltage is not at 240V, which is pretty standard; I similarly get 17ish kW.

This is a good thought. I checked the voltage on both phases and both are slightly above 120 V each (but it wasn't under load) I believe the power cable is 2 AWG aluminum less than 100 feet, so the voltage drop shouldn't be more than 2 V. I'll ask the electrician to check the connections when they come back for the inspection, but I doubt there is anything wrong, I watched excitedly as they installed it. It sounds like nobody is getting the advertised maximum, so I'll just chalk this up to a fail on Lucid's part.

Next time I need to charge I check the Chargers website, hopefully the Current and Power values will show the active values. The image is from my first charge, the rate works out to 17 kW (24.49 / 86 * 60)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 4.32.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 4.32.24 PM.png
    191.3 KB · Views: 24
@DeaneG any thoughts on why we’re getting 17 instead of 19kW?

Check the voltage under load when the LCHCS is charging your car.
At the charger itself! Though it's much easier and safer if the car and/or charger report the voltage during charging. I don't remember if the Air or the LCHCS can do this.

I've gotten 18 to 19kw on mine so someone does indeed get the advertised speed.

@DeaneG any thoughts on why we’re getting 17 instead of 19kW?
The electrician I hired did not use 100 amp capable wire. I checked the Betty Boop and saw that he reset the DIP switches to 72 amps, which is correct for the wire he used. ( Lucid charger comes preset for 80 amp load.) I'm pulling 17kW with DIP switches set to 72 amps.

Did your electrician reset the factory settings inside your charger ?

The electrician I hired did not use 100 amp capable wire. I checked the Betty Boop and saw that he reset the DIP switches to 72 amps, which is correct for the wire he used. ( Lucid charger comes preset for 80 amp load.) I'm pulling 17kW with DIP switches set to 72 amps.

Did your electrician reset the factory settings inside your charger ?
I’m certain mine pulls 80 amps.

Back