Lucid Air Touring or Tesla Model S LR

So the Air isn’t rated for 5 180 lb adults? Or 4 linebackers?

Or even for me and three of my equally portly friends.

Four two-hundred-pounders and a haul of Popeye's fried chicken and biscuits are pushing the limit.

Or even for me and three of my equally portly friends.

Four two-hundred-pounders and a haul of Popeye's fried chicken and biscuits are pushing the limit.

Where did you find this limit?

Of course Porsche also had the goodwill and resources to buy hundreds of these cars back from customers. So there’s that.
It's not as expensive for an automaker as everyone thinks. My friend manages a used car dealership and loves buying high-end "lemon law branded cars". The manufacturer does eat the additional 20-25% off MSRP which is peanuts compared to the damage an unhappy customer can do in today's internet-based world.

Also, keep in mind there are roof rail attachment points. They've shown renderings of an aerodynamic shallow roof cargo carrier similar to a Thule. No idea when it'll be available or if there will be a bike rack option.
There’s a white DE I see in San Mateo every so often with roof rails. It is always going the opposite direction though so I can’t tell if it is a customer car or employee.

It is also in the online manual that had been posted here in another thread.

Thanks! From the manual, the gross vehicle weight rating is 2850 kg. The curb weight is 2360 or 2375 kg based upon tire size. So, the payload allowance is 490kg or 475kg or 1080 lbs or 1047 lbs. Sounds like it will hold at least three NFL linemen easily.

As a comparison, the GVWR of the Tesla Model S Plaid is 2720kg with a curb weight of 2241kg yielding a payload allowance of 479kg.
The Mercedes EQS 580 has a GVWR of 3060kg and a curb weight of 2585kg for a payload allowance of 475kg: I know that the EQS is a larger car but it's remarkable that it's also much heavier while interior room isn't much better.
Finally, the BMW iX xDrive 50 has a GVWR of 2920kg and a curb weight of 2440kg for a payload allowance of 480kg. This interesting, as I thought an SUV would be able to haul more weight.

Last edited:
Hey folks. I’m in the same boat as many of you. My DD and only car is a 2020 MS LR. I love the storage capacity and it is fun to drive. But…range is not nearly as advertised. With car fully packed for vacation and the whole family in it, we get about 300miles. The cabin is noisy. And the suspension is so so rough even in comfort mode. I had the 21” for a few weeks but was blowing tires every other week because both the surface roads and highways in Philly are poorly maintained. Even on the 19” in comfort mode it is a harsh ride.

From reading this thread it seems like those with access to both cars, prefer the Air.

But what about that huge difference in storage capacity, and lack of roof rack/trailer hitch?

Right now I’m able to pack the MS to the gills, throw 4 bikes on the back, and take the entire family down the shore for a week, with ease.

*Note that my gripe about range was not when using a bike rack. Obv the bike rack creates a ton of drag and range naturally suffers. Without the bike rack, we recently couldn’t get from Philly to Stratton VT (312) miles, on a full charge.
Could you explain what you mean by blowing tires every other week?

Did you have to replace tires? Did the warranty cover the costs? Thanks

Sure. The sidewall of the tire would blow out from hitting a pothole or other road hazard. This is a very common issue on 21s (Tesla makes you acknowledge an increased risk of blowouts, when you buy the wheels). The issue is more prevalent on Teslas because they are extremely heavy cars. I am a careful driver with a light foot. We are not talking about absent mindedly driving through a crater and excessive speed. Two out of three blowouts were caused when driving across the lip between asphalt/subsurface, left behind because a roadwork crew was doing multi-day work. None of these were covered by warranty, and required a new tire at my expense. The roadside assistance experience varied. One time, Tesla Roadside Assistance was able to dispatch a local repair person with a spare wheel/tire set. They arrived within 5 hours, swapped wheels on the side of the road, so that I could continue driving the car, and then a few days later brought me back my wheel with a new tire, and swapped out the loaner wheel/tire. The loaner wheel is painted bright red to discourage borrowers from "keeping" it. I did not pay for the assistance, but did pay for the new tire. One time, Tesla Roadside Assistance did not have any spare wheels nearby (apparently Tesla is winding this program down). So they dispatched a tow truck. The tow truck arrived within an hour ish and towed my car to the nearest Tesla store, where the tire was replaced. I had to pickup the car a few days later. I did not pay for the tow, but did pay for the Lyft back to my house and the new tire. One time, I was close enough to home that I just pulled over and parked the car and walked home. I did not call Tesla Roadside Assistance, and instead booked a mobile service. This was the last straw for me, so mobile service took the 21s off the car and put 19s on the car. I had the 19s, so did not have to pay for them. But I did pay for the new 21 tire (I wanted all 4 tires to be working so that I could sell the wheels) and Tesla charged me for the service.

people with 21" have you experienced a blowout yet? i wonder if Bay Area roads are 21" friendly or not (cough cough 101).

My current MS has 21” wheels, in Sonoma county california on very poor roads. Never once had a blow out - tires just replaced at 30k miles due to steel starting to become exposed. I’m just be careful when driving 🤷‍♂️, also never experienced what people fear in the rain on 21” which I believe is over exaggerated.

Also be aware that these tires are relatively new in the USA and may not be readily available when you need one.

Sure. The sidewall of the tire would blow out from hitting a pothole or other road hazard. This is a very common issue on 21s (Tesla makes you acknowledge an increased risk of blowouts, when you buy the wheels). The issue is more prevalent on Teslas because they are extremely heavy cars. I am a careful driver with a light foot. We are not talking about absent mindedly driving through a crater and excessive speed. Two out of three blowouts were caused when driving across the lip between asphalt/subsurface, left behind because a roadwork crew was doing multi-day work. None of these were covered by warranty, and required a new tire at my expense. The roadside assistance experience varied. One time, Tesla Roadside Assistance was able to dispatch a local repair person with a spare wheel/tire set. They arrived within 5 hours, swapped wheels on the side of the road, so that I could continue driving the car, and then a few days later brought me back my wheel with a new tire, and swapped out the loaner wheel/tire. The loaner wheel is painted bright red to discourage borrowers from "keeping" it. I did not pay for the assistance, but did pay for the new tire. One time, Tesla Roadside Assistance did not have any spare wheels nearby (apparently Tesla is winding this program down). So they dispatched a tow truck. The tow truck arrived within an hour ish and towed my car to the nearest Tesla store, where the tire was replaced. I had to pickup the car a few days later. I did not pay for the tow, but did pay for the Lyft back to my house and the new tire. One time, I was close enough to home that I just pulled over and parked the car and walked home. I did not call Tesla Roadside Assistance, and instead booked a mobile service. This was the last straw for me, so mobile service took the 21s off the car and put 19s on the car. I had the 19s, so did not have to pay for them. But I did pay for the new 21 tire (I wanted all 4 tires to be working so that I could sell the wheels) and Tesla charged me for the service.
Thank you for the detailed information of blown tires.

It seems you are ally with 19s.

One more question. I also have Tesla model S along with Lucid Air DE Performance. I have four extra wheels with tires 19s for Models S. Do they fit Lucid Air? I don't know whether Lucid warranty would allow it.

I have a 2016 Model S and have experienced three tires damaged on the road, two slow leaks and one bad blow out. Depending on a Tesla ranger is a pipe dream and Lucid will be even worse if you live in the heartland. Everyone should purchase an extra wheel with tire and learn how to change your own tire safely without damaging the car. The Tesla tires were foam lined and special order. My car would have been out of service for several days if I had not purchased a back up in advance. It is a small expense that can quickly resolve a major headache.

Complicated a bit by the staggered tire sizes on the 20" and 21" wheels.

I have a 2016 Model S and have experienced three tires damaged on the road, two slow leaks and one bad blow out. Depending on a Tesla ranger is a pipe dream and Lucid will be even worse if you live in the heartland. Everyone should purchase an extra wheel with tire and learn how to change your own tire safely without damaging the car. The Tesla tires were foam lined and special order. My car would have been out of service for several days if I had not purchased a back up in advance. It is a small expense that can quickly resolve a major headache.
Recently I had a flat tire on my Lucid front tire. After towing the vehicle home 90 miles, Lucid service came and replaced the tire. My wife asked the technician to check other tires. Lo behold the back tire had a nail in it as well which was replaced. I had asked Lucid Service to send an extra wheel with tire ready, since we may be planning a cross country trip this summer.
So ended up replacing two tires in addition to purchasing a new front wheel with tire for travel. Costed over $3,200.
I also have Model S 100D traveled over 50,000 miles with 19" wheel and never had a flat tire. I did have an extra wheel with tire in my Tesla as well.

Recently I had a flat tire on my Lucid front tire. After towing the vehicle home 90 miles, Lucid service came and replaced the tire. My wife asked the technician to check other tires. Lo behold the back tire had a nail in it as well which was replaced. I had asked Lucid Service to send an extra wheel with tire ready, since we may be planning a cross country trip this summer.
So ended up replacing two tires in addition to purchasing a new front wheel with tire for travel. Costed over $3,200.
I also have Model S 100D traveled over 50,000 miles with 19" wheel and never had a flat tire. I did have an extra wheel with tire in my Tesla as well.
Where did you put the spare wheel?

Spare wheel is in the garage. Just received a wheel cover. Will plan to carry it in the trunk on long trip. I wish they start selling the carrier!

I wish these guys would offer something for Lucid.

i have one from them for my ‘73 Mustang and it comes with a cover and you can get a jack kit as well.

Back