Lucid Air or BMW i5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mediocre driving dynamics? In what world is that true? We really do have some BMW haters here. Fascinating.
I’ll kind of agree. Outside of porsche and a few select sport sedans, most of the legacy automakers have turned away from focusing on driving dynamics including bmw.

I’ll kind of agree. Outside of porsche and a few select sport sedans, most of the legacy automakers have turned away from focusing on driving dynamics including bmw.
I wonder what that says about my Lucid since I’d give the handling edge to my BMW i4. Obviously I disagree with the poor handling comments. No axe to grind, I have both cars, but just stating it as it is. Both excellent, but the i4 gets the edge.

I wonder what that says about my Lucid since I’d give the handling edge to my BMW i4. No axe to grind, I have both cars, but just stating it as it is. Both excellent, but the i4 gets the edge.
How substantial of a difference is the i4 to the i5? I’m a bmw noob but savagegeese just trashed the i5 for its handling in the comparison video.

What’s the point? The point is, no gas! The point is electrification, not ticking off every box on your wishlist. It’s not a good EV in terms of what you’re looking for. However it is a good EV in terms of what many long term BMW buyers are/were looking for. BTW, I’ve never used the frunk in any of my many EVs that had one. Not once. I’d bet not having one is not a deal breaker for most shoppers. Again, a 300 mile range is not considered ’poor’, especially when you beat EPA estimates. My Lucid does not beat its EPA estimates, does yours?

No, I think BMW actually sized up many of their buyers correctly. You are very obviously not one of them, but that’s OK, you were never their target audience. They are now moving on to a radical change in their design philosophy (which you’ve conveniently ignored throughout this discussion). They’ve given many of their typical buyers a transitionary period to adjust to the new world of EVs. Makes perfect sense to me, obviously not to you.

Hey, you could always join BMW’s design team! ;)
BMW are drivers cars, their i5 is a joke…..handles very bad because they made compromises, sorry dude, no way you can convince me that is good engineering…..their ICE cars are fantastic, but EV’s? Very bad design. Taking an ICE converting to EV is a failure…but they will sell because of ignorance of the buyers..

The 5 series is a way worse car than the 3/4. Especially the newer ones. The last good 5 series was probably the e39 lol
Actually I meant I never drove the i5, I own the i4.

IMO this thread has run its course. The hostility is a bit over the top from a couple of posters. Once we get to the ‘sorry dude’ comments, useful discussion has ended for me. It amazes me how some posters know more about the car than those that own it. 🙄

As for the i5, I had previously mentioned that a friend just got one. He loves it, but I’ll definitely tell him he’s wrong. 🤣

How can the new concept BMW be a "Driver's Car" if the interior is super minimalist like Tesla's? That thing seems to be configured to take passengers from point A to point B ... ideally autonomously.
I don’t know if you know this, but BMWs very ethos is/used to be minimalism. All that is meant to be there (or would be if they had their way) is the driver and the steering wheel, for ultimate driving pleasure.

I'd gladly sacrifice the frunk for an extra 50 real miles (preferably 100 miles) of range.
if you loaded the frunk space with batteries the weight of the batteries would change the dynamics of the car and the gain in range wouldn't be all that much

if you loaded the frunk space with batteries the weight of the batteries would change the dynamics of the car and the gain in range wouldn't be all that much
50 miles would be like 12kwh of batteries based on Lucid’s epa (I know lol) but how much could 12kwh of batteries weigh? I think it’d be around 200lbs and out 5000lbs, it might be a little noticeable but I doubt it would change the dynamics SIGNIFICANTLY

50 miles would be like 12kwh of batteries based on Lucid’s epa (I know lol) but how much could 12kwh of batteries weigh? I think it’d be around 200lbs and out 5000lbs, it might be a little noticeable but I doubt it would change the dynamics SIGNIFICANTLY
Weight distribution and crash safety is the main issue to me… right?

But then you're just adding 'dumb range,' which Peter Rawlinson/Lucid would be loathe to do.
I’m not sure I am, I would appreciate the same efficiency but higher range.

Wouldn’t it being heavier decrease the efficiency though? (Not by much, granted)

What I would REALLY want is the rear seat footwell batteries to be moved to the sub trunk, as well as additional batteries to be added behind the seats (although it would remove the folding rear seat, I personally wouldn’t really care as the frunk is still there).

a lot of effort was put into balancing the weight of the car, adding Xhundred of pounds to the frunk skews the balances

Actually I meant I never drove the i5, I own the i4.

IMO this thread has run its course. The hostility is a bit over the top from a couple of posters. Once we get to the ‘sorry dude’ comments, useful discussion has ended for me. It amazes me how some posters know more about the car than those that own it. 🙄

As for the i5, I had previously mentioned that a friend just got one. He loves it, but I’ll definitely tell him he’s wrong. 🤣
Sorry dude is hostile? I’m just apologizing for not being convinced that i5 is a good EV….your friend may like it ( ignorance is bliss) but that doesn’t mean anything to me. I’ve never driven one and looking at all the reviews, it’s a bad EV when compared to the Lucid.

Totally agree with you. I travel a lot and the highest possible range is always desirable, especially considering the way you have to drive to achieve maximum range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back