Lucid Air or BMW i5

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolarAir

Is anyone else holding off on a Lucid because of upcoming EVs? I‘m speaking specifically of the BMW i5 M60, which has a lower range but the benefit of being from a legacy manufacturer with a solid service network, as well as a lower price? The early reviews also look incredibly promising (particularly the new self driving system). Curious to hear other’s thoughts.

Is anyone else holding off on a Lucid because of upcoming EVs? I‘m speaking specifically of the BMW i5 M60, which has a lower range but the benefit of being from a legacy manufacturer with a solid service network, as well as a lower price? The early reviews also look incredibly promising (particularly the new self driving system). Curious to hear other’s thoughts.
There is no end to waiting for a “better car”, so I would suggest buying the best car you can afford that is available at the time you need it. Personally, the BMW grill is a deal breaker for me, even though I love the tech and build quality.

It depends on what you value.

If you prefer the brand, service center, “lower price”(are you referring to the GT or touring?), get the i5.

However, lucids packaging is much better(cargo, frunk, legroom) it has around the same handling and speed as the i5(if not better), the ride quality is better, and although BMW may be autonomously ahead, the lucid has superior hardware for the future. In addition, I personally think that the lucid looks better(and no, i am not a bmw hater. i love the i7) and due to how aerodynamic it is, it has more range. Technology however is a throw up, as of now I think both are equal in software. Lucids hardware technology is miles ahead.

There will never be a perfect car for everybody. Keep this in mind and make the right decision for yourself!

I5 is already on my shortlist for when my lease is up. Of course that depends on if I buy out the lucid then - really depends on how healthy lucid as a company is then. If healthy, I plan on keeping the lucid. If not, then I5 is the only option I can see now unless they come out with an executive car Audi EV, or the upcoming polestar sedan is close to concept and looks awesome. Mercedes failed in their EQE/S styling to my eye (as did the bmw I7). Exciting times.

I looked at some of the German manufacturers. But they all have much less range, less performance and less space.

With the i5 you get 295 mile range. With Lucid, you can get at least 90-220 miles more range , depending on model. With spirited driving, in winter, loaded car- your range will drop at least 30%, maybe even 40%. I wanted that buffer, with EV's range is most important. Remember, recommended charging is 80%- that would be just 235 miles with the BMW. Knock of 40% you get 140 miles of range.

The enormous frunk is a big plus, and I felt the Lucid looks much better than anything the Germans have. Add to that, superior EV technology of Lucid, made it an easy choice!

The enormous frunk is a big plus, and I felt the Lucid looks much better than anything the Germans have
Having lived with the Porsche Taycan and the Audi e-tron. What do the Germans have? I haven't seen anything bigger than a backpack being able to fit in any of the frunks lol.

Everyone is is different. The grille on the I5 IMO is the least offensive one in the BMW family. I had a prior generation BMW PHEV 5 series. There are advantages to each (Lucid Air vs. BMW I5). For example, the I5 offers a HUD, to some that is critically important; to others it is insignificant.

A buyer should look at everything each manufacturer offers. Nothing will fit every desire and need. So each buyer must look at the gestalt and determine which best fits her needs.

For cargo/interior space and uniqueness, Lucid wins.
For software, BMW is actually much better currently.
Looks follow different philosophy, so to each their cup of tea.

Both are going to be great highway cruisers. Range may be closer than EPA numbers show, and if BMW joins NACS, it will be an interesting twist.

Always good to have options!

I'll chime in as well, since I have had the pleasure of owing my Lucid AGT for a year now & 10K miles. And have owned BMWs in the past and own an X7 M60i (fully optioned out) currently.

Charging: You will have similar experience with EA on both cars. This is a draw.
Build Quality: Lucid is built very well; but it is still a nascent company compared to the rich history of BMW. I will give this to BMW
Service Network: Lucid mobile service is A+++. But then again due to BMW history, you are going to get better service coverage with BMW. Again I will give this to BMW.
Price: Since you did not mention which Air, I will assume you are going with a Touring, which is comparable to i5 M60. This will be a draw imo. (depending on options).
Resale: I'm seeing AGTs now for about $80K to $90K in the open market. Original sticker was about $140K without WA taxes. Almost 35% to 40% drop in value after a year. (no. I don't wish to compare/contrast other EVs now. Its self defeating subject imo.).
Interior Space: Definitely Lucid. 100% Lucid all the way. Frunk. Trunk. Interior pax space.
Exterior Looks: Subjective. But I prefer the Lucid. Still not a big fan of my M60i front. (But it does look menacing since I have the all black color). A draw here for me.
Ride Quality: This is subjective & will also depend on local roads, how you like to drive, etc ... I enjoy both my vehicles. For me this is a draw.
Tech (or others might want to say software!!): Lucid lags in this arena. My M60i holds (stays in the lane, slows down, etc..). Android Auto works seamlessly. Qi charging pad are wide enough to fit my large phone, with a case. I will give this to BMW. Lucid advtd (not anymore) AA was coming soon. They released CP but not AA. HERE Maps has not been updated for over a year, etc .. Lucid lags severely on this front. Could be due to $ crunch. BMW latest OS update is splendid. Love the pull downs, full screen maps,, HUD, etc ... If I can marry BMW tech with Lucid range & drivetrain, that would be my 'ideal' car. :)

Range: 100% Lucid all the way (no pun intended). I have done PDX to SEA round trip (approx 400 miles), without a stop* (*Charged car near home on the return trip), driving at about 70 to 80mph.

Good luck with your purchase. As I wrote in my 1 year post, if/when a car comes along with a similar range as the Lucid and tech as Tesla/BMW/MB, I will most likely move. I don't trust Lucid to deliver on their promises (software) anymore. Had I known what I know now, I would have not purchased the Lucid then. Again this *is my* opinion only. Other members will have different opinion/experiences and willing to be more patient and forgiving.

And as ever, YMMV. Cheers.

@magesh As a former owner of many BMWs, that's a really solid comparison in my opinion. My BMW service in Phoenix (Chapman) has always been great; usually able to get in the same day I call. So personally I'd give an edge to BMW in Service Network.

I feel the same way as you on software, I really expected more on that front. It's been 89 days (per lucidupdates.com tracker) since any new features. I'd really like to see some of the top items on the wish list get taken care of. A roadmap of upcoming features sure would be nice, but that's clearly not Lucid's style.

I'll chime in as well, since I have had the pleasure of owing my Lucid AGT for a year now & 10K miles. And have owned BMWs in the past and own an X7 M60i (fully optioned out) currently.

Charging: You will have similar experience with EA on both cars. This is a draw.
Build Quality: Lucid is built very well; but it is still a nascent company compared to the rich history of BMW. I will give this to BMW
Service Network: Lucid mobile service is A+++. But then again due to BMW history, you are going to get better service coverage with BMW. Again I will give this to BMW.
Price: Since you did not mention which Air, I will assume you are going with a Touring, which is comparable to i5 M60. This will be a draw imo. (depending on options).
Resale: I'm seeing AGTs now for about $80K to $90K in the open market. Original sticker was about $140K without WA taxes. Almost 35% to 40% drop in value after a year. (no. I don't wish to compare/contrast other EVs now. Its self defeating subject imo.).
Interior Space: Definitely Lucid. 100% Lucid all the way. Frunk. Trunk. Interior pax space.
Exterior Looks: Subjective. But I prefer the Lucid. Still not a big fan of my M60i front. (But it does look menacing since I have the all black color). A draw here for me.
Ride Quality: This is subjective & will also depend on local roads, how you like to drive, etc ... I enjoy both my vehicles. For me this is a draw.
Tech (or others might want to say software!!): Lucid lags in this arena. My M60i holds (stays in the lane, slows down, etc..). Android Auto works seamlessly. Qi charging pad are wide enough to fit my large phone, with a case. I will give this to BMW. Lucid advtd (not anymore) AA was coming soon. They released CP but not AA. HERE Maps has not been updated for over a year, etc .. Lucid lags severely on this front. Could be due to $ crunch. BMW latest OS update is splendid. Love the pull downs, full screen maps,, HUD, etc ... If I can marry BMW tech with Lucid range & drivetrain, that would be my 'ideal' car. :)

Range: 100% Lucid all the way (no pun intended). I have done PDX to SEA round trip (approx 400 miles), without a stop* (*Charged car near home on the return trip), driving at about 70 to 80mph.

Good luck with your purchase. As I wrote in my 1 year post, if/when a car comes along with a similar range as the Lucid and tech as Tesla/BMW/MB, I will most likely move. I don't trust Lucid to deliver on their promises (software) anymore. Had I known what I know now, I would have not purchased the Lucid then. Again this *is my* opinion only. Other members will have different opinion/experiences and willing to be more patient and forgiving.

And as ever, YMMV. Cheers.
Good points! But software can be easily improved. Range is the most important! I drove 200 miles recently in a day. just driving around the city. Full AC blast, car loaded with passengers. Absoultely no stress about where to charge. That is where Lucid shines. Yes, you can buy a BMW and get 150 mile range for the same trip I took, but you will be stressing after 100 miles.

Many people don't understand this point fully and assume 285 miles means you get 285 miles. You do not!!! You will get 140-150 miles. This is where Lucid shines.

Forget the other minor positive points about the BMW. Get the Lucid Air, range is more important than anything else!

Another point is efficiency. Lucid is more efficient by 20-40% compared to the BMW. 105 MPGe for BMW, 120-140 for the Lucid. If you get the Pure on 19 inches, you get 40% more efficiency.

If you want to go EV and spend a lot of money, do it properly, dont compromise and get the BMW. Get the Lucid!!

Good points! But software can be easily improved. Range is the most important! I drove 200 miles recently in a day. just driving around the city. Full AC blast, car loaded with passengers. Absoultely no stress about where to charge. That is where Lucid shines. Yes, you can buy a BMW and get 150 mile range for the same trip I took, but you will be stressing after 100 miles.

Many people don't understand this point fully and assume 285 miles means you get 285 miles. You do not!!! You will get 140-150 miles. This is where Lucid shines.

Forget the other minor positive points about the BMW. Get the Lucid Air, range is more important than anything else!

Another point is efficiency. Lucid is more efficient by 20-40% compared to the BMW. 105 MPGe for BMW, 120-140 for the Lucid. If you get the Pure on 19 inches, you get 40% more efficiency.

If you want to go EV and spend a lot of money, do it properly, dont compromise and get the BMW. Get the Lucid!!
I think @Bobby csn comment on his recent drive from Vegas back to San Diego where he didn't need to charge at all and still ended up with over 100 miles remaining (20+%) at arrival.

I drove 258 miles yesterday, starting at 100% charge from an overnight L2 charger. Had 26% left on my battery when I arrived. And I have a Touring with the smaller 92 kWh pack.

There is no other car that can go as far as a Lucid on a single charge. All the specific mile numbers and who tests how and who reports what don't change that basic fact.

I think @Bobby csn comment on his recent drive from Vegas back to San Diego where he didn't need to charge at all and still ended up with over 100 miles remaining (20+%) at arrival.
Yes, I drove about 320 miles and wound up with 22% remaining. I could’ve done even better but there was quite a bit of traffic at one point on the way. My average efficiency was 3.8. That is much higher than my usual efficiency, which is 3.2 lifetime. But I was driving more slowly and feathering it to try to get home without having to stop at one of the overcrowded Electrify America chargers.

That all said, the BMW is actually a really nice car. I’d consider if the range weren’t so low compared to the Lucid. It’s important to me to be able to make it to North Los Angeles and back without charging. I run that route frequently as I have a sick relative there. It’s about 320 miles round-trip.

I just got invited to a "special reveal" of the i5 - I've been getting random stuff from the BMW dealership ever since I had to get the airbag recall done in my E46.

It's (a) at a beer garden, and (b) close to my house, so there's two reasons to go along and see what's what.

1697123659989.png

I just got invited to a "special reveal" of the i5 - I've been getting random stuff from the BMW dealership ever since I had to get the airbag recall done in my E46.

It's (a) at a beer garden, and (b) close to my house, so there's two reasons to go along and see what's what.

View attachment 15595
You should do it! Before getting the Lucid, I went on a BMW driving event where we took the i4 M50 on a test track as fast as we could drive it. It was nice. The car is just too small for me. We could drive the iX only in a straight line to see acceleration and braking, and I also drove the i7 around the neighborhood. It's a great way to see how the cars compare.

I drove 258 miles yesterday, starting at 100% charge from an overnight L2 charger. Had 26% left on my battery when I arrived. And I have a Touring with the smaller 92 kWh pack.

There is no other car that can go as far as a Lucid on a single charge. All the specific mile numbers and who tests how and who reports what don't change that basic fact.
I know that at 70mph ACC or HA in Pure AWD with temp set to 75 in summer I can get 4 miles per kWh. I will find out how it does with heat.

You should do it! Before getting the Lucid, I went on a BMW driving event where we took the i4 M50 on a test track as fast as we could drive it. It was nice. The car is just too small for me. We could drive the iX only in a straight line to see acceleration and braking, and I also drove the i7 around the neighborhood. It's a great way to see how the cars compare.
Yes. That is the BMW autocross event and I have done it as well and it is a hoot.

Back when I lived in Cape Town, I got invited on a BMW Driving Day. Got to play with Z3, E46, E38, E39 ... super fun day indeed.

I know that at 70mph ACC or HA in Pure AWD with temp set to 75 in summer I can get 4 miles per kWh. I will find out how it does with heat.
So Joec got about 3.8 mkwh on his trip.

I am getting 4.0 mkwh on not so slow driving on my touring for the last 700 miles. I am in florida so the AC is on all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_5549.jpeg
    IMG_5549.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back