BMW i5

Precisely our experience too. The car has been absolutely bulletproof in over 15,000 miles and in May, 2 years.
Wow you guys are lucky. Mine has been in for creaky steering wheel, broken misaligned passenger door, and a busted frunk all in one month. My mic doesn’t work well when using Bluetooth for phone calls and they don’t even know how to fix it. I hope it remains relatively issue free going forward though. I’ve found legacy automakers like bmw and Porsche to have a little better quality control for stuff like this.

Wow you guys are lucky. Mine has been in for creaky steering wheel, broken misaligned passenger door, and a busted frunk all in one month. My mic doesn’t work well when using Bluetooth for phone calls and they don’t even know how to fix it. I hope it remains relatively issue free going forward though. I’ve found legacy automakers like bmw and Porsche to have a little better quality control for stuff like this.
I think they were talking about their i4 lol

Yea as a BMW fan, I highly considered the i5m60 at first to replace my m340, but when I saw how cramped the interior was, that turned into a big no for me. There’s no comparison practicality wise with a Lucid Air. I will say the new i5 is pretty hideous to me too. Hate how tall and large the front end is. Looks almost crossover’ish now. Not a sleek line to be seen anywhere
The first thing I saw when I saw the front of the car was a FWD car. It looks SO MUCH like the 2 series GC(which is literally just a f*cking mini cooper with a sedan body)! F90 was a masterpiece though.. the next g60 m5 does look good with its leaked hips, and theres a wagon m5 for the USA!

The first thing I saw when I saw the front of the car was a FWD car. It looks SO MUCH like the 2 series GC(which is literally just a f*cking mini cooper with a sedan body)! F90 was a masterpiece though.. the next g60 m5 does look good with its leaked hips, and theres a wagon m5 for the USA!
I’m in wait and see mode on the next m5. I’m not convinced they can salvage such a poor base. I mean the G82 M4 is still pretty ugly even with the wide body and more aggressive bumpers over the G22 4 series .

Bottom line, I have a Lucid in my garage that took the place of a BMW M5. I like(d) both for different reasons and wouldn't mind having the M5 back as an additional car in my garage.

I don't mean to disparage BMW's ICE cars, nor have I said anything about how the BMWs (ICE or EV) actually drive or their build quality. My original post was a questioning on a single aspect of the car -- why an EV that is larger than an Air in both length and wheelbase and has a lot of its mechanicals in a place that is cargo space in an Air nevertheless has a more cramped interior.

To me, the bottom line on this question is that Lucid made passenger space an engineering priority, and BMW didn't for whatever reasons they had.

Note also that I titled the thread "What are the Germans thinking?", not "What is BMW thinking?" Although the DeMuro review of the i5 triggered my post, I've been scratching my head for some time about Mercedes and Audi. At a dealer I recently checked out the interior of the EQS SUV, thinking maybe it found space that MB somehow failed to find in the EQS sedan -- a car with a wheelbase 10" longer than an Air's but a more cramped rear seat (and also no frunk). And it's not just an EV issue. The Audi Q7 SUV drew a lot of attention from reviewers as to why such a behemoth had so little interior space.

I don't mean to disparage BMW's ICE cars, nor have I said anything about how the BMWs (ICE or EV) actually drive or their build quality. My original post was a questioning on a single aspect of the car -- why an EV that is larger than an Air in both length and wheelbase and has a lot of its mechanicals in a place that is cargo space in an Air nevertheless has a more cramped interior.

To me, the bottom line on this question is that Lucid made passenger space an engineering priority, and BMW didn't for whatever reasons they had.

Note also that I titled the thread "What are the Germans thinking?", not "What is BMW thinking?" Although the DeMuro review of the i5 triggered my post, I've been scratching my head for some time about Mercedes and Audi. At a dealer I recently checked out the interior of the EQS SUV, thinking maybe it found space that MB somehow failed to find in the EQS sedan -- a car with a wheelbase 10" longer than an Air's but a more cramped rear seat (and also no frunk). And it's not just an EV issue. The Audi Q7 SUV drew a lot of attention from reviewers as to why such a behemoth had so little interior space.
I continue to feel the Air is the best EV available. Hopefully the Gravity and the advertising campaign around it will bring more awareness to the brand. I'm a BMW fan, but they have a ways to go. Range, performance, space, it is not even close.

I continue to feel the Air is the best EV available. Hopefully the Gravity and the advertising campaign around it will bring more awareness to the brand. I'm a BMW fan, but they have a ways to go. Range, performance, space, it is not even close.
To be fair, BMW hasn’t been competing in the Sapphire space if that’s what you’re looking to compare with. They have yet to release a fully electric M product. Everything so far has just been one of their M sport products.

I think the i5m60 is relatively competitive with the Lucid Air Touring from a range and performance perspective. The Lucid is a big winner in the “space” category, but you could say the i5m60 wins in software, ADAS, quality control, and price.

Last edited:
I’m in wait and see mode on the next m5. I’m not convinced they can salvage such a poor base. I mean the G82 M4 is still pretty ugly even with the wide body and more aggressive bumpers over the G22 4 series .
I will defend the G8X with all my life. The F8X looks SO outdated now and I love the g80s aggressive appearance! Including grill... the BMW XM is also very good looking to me, if that gives you a point of reference.

I defend the G8X with all my life. The F8X looks SO outdated now and I love the g80s aggressive appearance! Including grill... the BMW XM is also very good looking to me, if that gives you a point of reference.
oh man, yea probably best to agree to disagree at this point hahaha. The E92 and F82 are the best looking M3/4 Coupes of all time to me! I hate the overstyling of the new G8x. Same reason I prefer Lucid styling over the i5. It's simple and understated. Doesn't need angles and corners and fake plastic diffusers and cutouts and all that BS.

oh man, yea probably best to agree to disagree at this point hahaha. The E92 and F82 are the best looking M3/4 Coupes of all time to me! I hate the overstyling of the new G8x. Same reason I prefer Lucid styling over the i5. It's simple and understated. Doesn't need angles and corners and fake plastic diffusers and cutouts and all that BS.
Now the E90s I can concur with. The F82 is just not good at anything: none of that hydraulic steering, design that was made outdated by the G8X(the e92 is BEAUTIFUL with those angel eyes and supercar muscle ish styling if that makes sense, better looking than the g8x slightly). And besides, V8!

People hated the E60 when it came out.. I am convinced the G80 will "suffer" the same fate.

Now the E90s I can concur with. The F82 is just not good at anything: none of that hydraulic steering, design that was made outdated by the G8X(the e92 is BEAUTIFUL with those angel eyes and supercar muscle ish styling if that makes sense, better looking than the g8x slightly). And besides, V8!

People hated the E60 when it came out.. I am convinced the G80 will "suffer" the same fate.

I know we're a bit off-topic here, but I love M cars...owned both an e92 and an f82. I appreciate them both for what they were. The F8x was a huge technological and engineering improvement IMO. It was over 200lbs lighter than the e9x it replaced (unheard of these days), carbon fiber driveshaft, CF bracing throughout the car, solid subframe mounts, 7600rpm redline in a turbo engine.. i think that was the last time BMW put function over form in an M car. The G8x was like, whatever, add more weight and flashiness and power and ship it.

I know we're a bit off-topic here, but I love M cars...owned both an e92 and an f82. I appreciate them both for what they were. The F8x was a huge technological and engineering improvement IMO. It was over 200lbs lighter than the e9x it replaced (unheard of these days), carbon fiber driveshaft, CF bracing throughout the car, solid subframe mounts, 7600rpm redline in a turbo engine.. i think that was the last time BMW put function over form in an M car. The G8x was like, whatever, add more weight and flashiness and power and ship it.
Well, when you go down 2 cylinders, 200 lbs isnt that unheard of! The e9x was more analog and the f82 was computerized, which is the way I like to think of it.

And don't forget, that B58 has HUGE tuning potential! The g8x made a better step with the eps, and looks far better IMO. Besides, to my knowledge a G80 has all of those new parts introduced with the f series..

Well, when you go down 2 cylinders, 200 lbs isnt that unheard of! The e9x was more analog and the f82 was computerized, which is the way I like to think of it.

And don't forget, that B58 has HUGE tuning potential! The g8x made a better step with the eps, and looks far better IMO. Besides, to my knowledge a G80 has all of those new parts introduced with the f series..
The weight didn't come from the engine. I think the 6 cylinder was only maybe 15-20lbs lighter than the V8. Also...not to mention F80 had huge brakes and cooling compared to the e9x in addition to being bigger, having full leather interior, heads up display, and all the other modern creature comforts you could expect at the time. FInding a way to save an overall 200lbs was a triumph!

The only way this BMW design exercise could be called a success is if its goal was to make the car as indistinguishable from an ICE car as possible. However, if the goal of a buyer is to fool himself and others into thinking he bought an ICE car, why not just buy an ICE car? They're not that bad.
Remember that I left the BMW world when I say: BMW was only trying to make a true EV with the IX. BMW's made a decision to make the 4 series, 5 series, and 7 series available for both ICE and EV purposes. That decision caused a lot of what you are talking about. But BMW is selling a lot of ICE cars and I am beginning to see more BMW EVs (I played golf today with a guy who has an IX and used to have an I4).

So compared to a true EV, like the Lucid, the BMW is not nearly as good. But it is pretty good and enables BMW to sell a lot of cars.

The size and front end appearance are why I have left the BMW world. And I hated to leave it because they drove so well including the IX and I4 (I didn't test drive the I5 as it wasn't out when I was making my decision).

For the life of me I don't understand why auto manufacturers keep making their cars bigger and I equally don't understand why customers keep purchasing them.
I agree Steve. Same with me. I’ve owned BMW’s for 35 years. Raced in many BMW CCA events. I’m embarrassed by the brand today.

To be fair, BMW hasn’t been competing in the Sapphire space if that’s what you’re looking to compare with. They have yet to release a fully electric M product. Everything so far has just been one of their M sport products.

I think the i5m60 is relatively competitive with the Lucid Air Touring from a range and performance perspective. The Lucid is a big winner in the “space” category, but you could say the i5m60 wins in software, ADAS, quality control, and price.
The Pure AWD is 76k the i5M60 is 84K 3.8 vs 3.7 to 60 and EPA range is 410 vs 256. That is not close. The BMW has only 62% of the range of the Lucid. Not to mention the BMW is 4" longer but has less space.

You can easily option the BMW to 100k then you can compare to the GT 0-60 of 3.0 and 500 miles of range. Just 12 miles shy of double for 110k.

I was more thinking my DE vs i70M70 with 0-60 of 2.5 vs 3.5. EPA range of 459 vs 274. Only 59% of the range for the BMW. (not close) The DE performance cost less has more room even though the BMW is a staggering 17 inches longer.

Range in the mid 200s would make many of the road trips I've done easily in the Air very difficult to impossible and when possible, very tedious.

I love BMW and I have 2 BMWs, but the current face is a face only a mother could love.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 12.13.02 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 12.13.02 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
The Pure AWD is 76k the i5M60 is 84K 3.8 vs 3.7 to 60 and EPA range is 410 vs 256. That is not close. The BMW has only 62% of the range of the Lucid. Not to mention the BMW is 4" longer but has less space.

You can easily option the BMW to 100k then you can compare to the GT 0-60 of 3.0 and 500 miles of range. Just 12 miles shy of double for 110k.

I was more thinking my DE vs i70M70 with 0-60 of 2.5 vs 3.5. EPA range of 459 vs 274. Only 59% of the range for the BMW. (not close) The DE performance cost less has more room even though the BMW is a staggering 17 inches longer.

Range in the mid 200s would make many of the road trips I've done easily in the Air very difficult to impossible and when possible, very tedious.

I love BMW and I have 2 BMWs, but the current face is a face only a mother could love.
The sad part is that to me the front is best view of the G60 🤣

Not really fair to use EPA range since that’s not real world usage.

BMW tends to understate while lucid overstates, Edmunds says the i5 does well above epa at 320 miles on freeway test. Lucid air pure also does low 300s in similar driving patterns. i5 0-60 comes in around 3.5 which is closer to the touring. Also feature wise, if you add leather, glass roof, heated/ventilated seats and DDP to a Pure you’re pretty close to $90k. A loaded i5m60 is about $92k before the requisite 6% invoice discount. For BMW fans, you’re not sacrificing much other than some space.

I will agree the looks are hideous and the primary reason I wouldn’t touch one with a 10 foot pole 🤣

Back