Let's talk about the Air's interior compared to competing luxury cars

I put a deposit on an AMG EQS this last weekend and the price is MSRP.
Well, the car is waiting to be shipped to the dealer and now it is $5,000 over MSRP......

Look at the bright side, this is one order of magnitude less than what Jon Rettinger faced.
Well, let's see what the price is when I sit down with "the finance guy"!

We are strongly considering the Ioniq5 after the whole MSRP madness wears off. Waiting for Limited versions to be readily available and to use it as an "around town" type of car.
Same, expecting 12-18 month delay for the Touring I reserved two months ago, and probably at least 24 months for the Gravity which I'm really looking forward to. So, might make better sense for the Ioniq5, which might deliver in about 3-4 months, as my transition EV until the Gravity delivers.

Same, expecting 12-18 month delay for the Touring I reserved two months ago, and probably at least 24 months for the Gravity which I'm really looking forward to. So, might make better sense for the Ioniq5, which might deliver in about 3-4 months, as my transition EV until the Gravity delivers.
Exactly my thinking.

After seeing the space in the Lucid, I understand the SUV appeal even less. Not to be a hater, people can drive whatever they want, but it bums me out cuz all SUVs are similar looking blobs with excess weight and chunk and don’t drive as well as sedans and they mess up road visibility and room and parking spaces for those of us who don’t have an SUV, like they’re just kinda rude vehicles even if the driver is the most polite cautious driver ever…. But that’s what’s popular, so popular in fact that if Lucid were to fail as a company I think it would only be because they didn’t introduce an SUV first because that’s all people want to buy these days.

After seeing the space in the Lucid, I understand the SUV appeal even less. Not to be a hater, people can drive whatever they want, but it bums me out cuz all SUVs are similar looking blobs with excess weight and chunk and don’t drive as well as sedans and they mess up road visibility and room and parking spaces for those of us who don’t have an SUV, like they’re just kinda rude vehicles even if the driver is the most polite cautious driver ever…. But that’s what’s popular, so popular in fact that if Lucid were to fail as a company I think it would only be because they didn’t introduce an SUV first because that’s all people want to buy these days.
Lucid almost HAD to introduce the Air first. You produce a high end sport sedan that can compete with MB, BMW, and Tesla to show the world you can be taken seriously. And then you sell a SUV because people trust your drivetrain. The other way would really truly be a leap of faith with nothing to back up the risk.

Lucid almost HAD to introduce the Air first. You produce a high end sport sedan that can compete with MB, BMW, and Tesla to show the world you can be taken seriously. And then you sell a SUV because people trust your drivetrain. The other way would really truly be a leap of faith with nothing to back up the risk.
Now do Rivian

Exactly my thinking.
Yes, and it seems from my research the Ioniq5 is near luxury compared to even more expensive rivals and has features that are surprising (e.g., Level 2 autonomy, heated/ventiliated front seats, large back seat, fast charging, two way charge port, adaptive cruise control, etc).

Now do Rivian
Rivians advantage is that they were making a vehicle that no one had made yet, a pickup truck. No comparisons unless Tesla actually made the Cybertruck on schedule. If Lucid made the Gravity first, their direct comparison would be the Model X.

The foregoing, fascinating series of comments underscore the subjectivity of automobile choice. I appreciate the perspective of others and respect their choices. I have owned upper-end models of BMW, MB, Audi, and Porsche over the past 25 years and have enjoyed all of them dynamically and aesthetically. All were bulletproof from a quality and reliability standpoint. The best was my '15 991 Turbo S, which I tracked a few weeks after delivery from the factory and tracked and toured in for a few years afterward. My '16 Panamera GTS was a close second, but both were a bit too much for my evolving taste. My choice of an AGT is a vote for very capable EV's and a reversal of my minimalist move to an Audi allroad five years ago, which is a modest and surprisingly capable vehicle in every respect. Rawlinson's vision is what attracted me, despite the inevitable travails of a new automobile company.

The foregoing, fascinating series of comments underscore the subjectivity of automobile choice. I appreciate the perspective of others and respect their choices. I have owned upper-end models of BMW, MB, Audi, and Porsche over the past 25 years and have enjoyed all of them dynamically and aesthetically. All were bulletproof from a quality and reliability standpoint. The best was my '15 991 Turbo S, which I tracked a few weeks after delivery from the factory and tracked and toured in for a few years afterward. My '16 Panamera GTS was a close second, but both were a bit too much for my evolving taste. My choice of an AGT is a vote for very capable EV's and a reversal of my minimalist move to an Audi allroad five years ago, which is a modest and surprisingly capable vehicle in every respect. Rawlinson's vision is what attracted me, despite the inevitable travails of a new automobile company.
Lol, I think you had to be one of the few lucky ones to have bulletproof quality and reliability with BMW and MB. I'm sure many other users (myself included) did not have the same experiences with those 2 specific brands =)

I initially commented on a post comparing the Air to the EQS and noticed the distaste for the EQS' interior over the Lucid's simple interior. I would like to just repost that comment in this post since this aspect of the Air has been bugging me quite a bit. Essentially, I find that for how much the Lucid Air costs and the segment it is competing in the interior just does not cut it. Sure most of the materials are good but the visual aspect and experience isn't exactly there. Doug DeMuro did briefly comment on this stating that the Air definitely isn't as luxurious on the inside as its german competitors and I absolutely agree. I have personally sat in one for a good amount as well wondering if they just took the base model's interior and copied it to every trim. It felt like I was in a $70-80,000 car rather than a six figure car and this was the same price that my friends had in mind until I told them it was above $100,000. At that point, they were shocked since it didn't seem exciting to them from a visual standpoint. To put it best I am a fan of interiors in Bentleys, Mercedes S class, and the EQS. The Air is just overly simplistic for the money and I can't forgive how many promised features have been stripped without a drop in price especially standard luxury features such as powered doors and air suspension. Anyway, I will leave my comment from the other thread below and would like to know if I am alone on this or what you all think.

I'm very surprised that the Lucid's simplistic interior is being accepted over the EQS' interior. I'm personally finding it very hard to confirm my Grand Touring reservation due to the interior as I do not see how it is worth it for the money. The EQS offers much more for less in terms of interior technology and quality/looks. I believe it could be due to the target audience? The Lucid seems to appeal to an older audience hence why I think the EQS' hyper-screen and modern fashion sense is not appreciated by the Lucid audience. The quilted leather for instance is something I really like and many of my leather jackets from Boda Skins that I wear for example are quilted giving a modern twist to the classic leather biker jacket. I receive immense compliments for this quilted style of jackets with many people telling me how much they love the quilted design so this hate for quilted leather in a vehicle seemed strange to me. I have always found this beautiful and the seats of the Air appear overly bland to me especially for the money and many others I've shown them to have been unimpressed. Also, I appreciate the ambient lighting in the EQS and if one does find it distasteful why not disable them? Again, I truly am amazed by the reaction to the EQS' interior. I've noticed that the younger reviewers <40 tend to appreciate it. In fact, Kyle from Out of Spec Reviews really loves it despite the hideous exterior of the EQS. Doug DeMuro really likes the EQS' interior as well while stating that the Air definitely doesn't meet German rivals' level of luxury. I am personally a fan of the EQS' interior being a buyer at 21. I'm likely going to skip the Air and I may wait for the next EV that can offer great performance, a nice exterior, and a "gaudy" interior ;). In my eyes the Air's interior just took many bits from Tesla and the Porsche Taycan and combined them for something very underwhelming. The "cockpit display" is obviously copied from the Taycan while the overall simplicity mimics a Tesla which is what I wished to avoid with Teslas in the first place (alongside their quality issues of course). With all of this being said Lucid will continue to grow and change. I am sure this company's future is going to be great despite some hurdles. Despite this, I don't see myself being in one with the overly simplistic design choices and promised features that never made it and am probably canceling my order soon. I don't think range and performance is enough to justify the money although I really do want impressive performance in a car. I also don't really like the alcantara. Give me the option of leather and a full white or light colored interior instead of forcing black front seats and a black steering wheel. For me personally, if the Lucid Air Grand Touring had the EQS' interior that'd be the perfect car (alongside better paint options because the current ones definitely aren't that great). I think what they did was they played it safe by making the interior simple, probably did it to cut on costs, or it just made their job easier. Perhaps they truly think a six figure luxury sedan should look like an $70-80k from the inside. I don't like it and it does look like the base interior was just copied to all the trims. The best thing they could do is give buyers the ability to choose what they want like many of the established brands. Also, a side note but what's up with the cheap pedals especially in the $170k dream edition? Not only that but the cheap plastic door trigger that you'll be using for the lifetime of the car. So much for attention to detail. :(

View attachment 441View attachment 442View attachment 448View attachment 446View attachment 450View attachment 447View attachment 443View attachment 445
I totally agree, I received my GT with Tahoe interior, I must say my 2018 MB C250 feels more quality. My wife was appalled by the cheap textile feel, not just having textile but it also feels and looks cheap and not durable, if it was or felt quality the texture would not be a problem. For a 150k car, the interior is just not there, IMO.

I totally agree, I received my GT with Tahoe interior, I must say my 2018 MB C250 feels more quality. My wife was appalled by the cheap textile feel, not just having textile but it also feels and looks cheap and not durable, if it was or felt quality the texture would not be a problem. For a 150k car, the interior is just not there, IMO.
Honest question, did you sit in the car or test drive it prior to taking delivery?

I did not, have I done that, I probably would not have dished out 150k. Just for the interior, having owned c300, c250, c450 amg and c63s amg, all much cheaper in price, was not expecting this. I read the specs just wasn’t ready for how the trim looked and feels, seats are fine, I’m afraid a minimal scratch will damage that textile.
I understand the 100k Teslas have similar complaints about cheap materials. Maybe I’m wrong, also I may have older taste lol

I did not, have I done that, I probably would not have dished out 150k. Just for the interior, having owned c300, c250, c450 amg and c63s amg, all much cheaper in price, was not expecting this. I read the specs just wasn’t ready for how the trim looked and feels, seats are fine, I’m afraid a minimal scratch will damage that textile.
I understand the 100k Teslas have similar complaints about cheap materials. Maybe I’m wrong, also I may have older taste lol
That's disappointing because I vastly prefer this interior to previous MB interiors. Just everyone's own personal tastes!

That's disappointing because I vastly prefer this interior to previous MB interiors. Just everyone's own personal tastes!
I’m still happy with my first EV, I’m splitting hairs, can’t have everything haha. Is a great machine and I’m sure they ill work out the kinks.

Lol, I think you had to be one of the few lucky ones to have bulletproof quality and reliability with BMW and MB. I'm sure many other users (myself included) did not have the same experiences with those 2 specific brands =)
I've owned multiple MBs, BMWs, Audis and Porsches over the last 30 years and yes--compared to what I'm reading here-- they were bulletproof.

Back