Let's talk about the Air's interior compared to competing luxury cars

As a current EQS owner, Lucid’s interior is questionably inferior. It’s the difference between hopping in a nice living room chair versus a luxury home theater chair. One clearly out classes the other. With that being said, these interiors have radically different takes on the luxury concept. Lucid focuses on the open simplicity feel versus the S class cars that focus on more clutter and almost hugging you in pure luxury. One is a minimalist approach versus something that could be considered too much.

I’ve personally been going through the value debate and do firmly believe asking more for less (in this case) isn’t great but is competitive with the alternatives competing with the minimalist style (Tesla). This really goes down to taste and style. The simplest example of this is the steering wheel. It is mind boggling how many buttons other car manufacturers continue to put in the area and how wrong they get it (even the AMG Mercedes steering wheel).

Mercedes has amazing quality interior, but they overload everything in a way that can be distasteful over time in something like the EQS. A lot of it is tacky, and the plastic bits do not help the cause.

I’ve come to learn I value a bit of minimalism with my tech and appreciate that aspect about the Lucid. My only alternative is Tesla (which I am an OG owner of). Their quality in this area is simply garbage.

Yeah - for me the EQS is gaudy, not luxury. A throwback to the gilded rooms of Trump’s NY towers or the blinged out hands and necks of people who want to show off that they have money. It isn’t me.

The Lucid interior is classy, cultured, and only minimal where it makes sense. For me, that’s luxury - not overwhelming, tastefully designed, and with great intention. Bling for bling’s sake is a mistake.

Tesla’s interior is undesigned. Let’s just throw a screen in the middle and add some leather seats. People keep asking for wood so here, have a crappy-looking wood panel. Now stop bothering me.

As a current EQS owner, Lucid’s interior is questionably inferior. It’s the difference between hopping in a nice living room chair versus a luxury home theater chair. One clearly out classes the other. With that being said, these interiors have radically different takes on the luxury concept. Lucid focuses on the open simplicity feel versus the S class cars that focus on more clutter and almost hugging you in pure luxury. One is a minimalist approach versus something that could be considered too much.

I’ve personally been going through the value debate and do firmly believe asking more for less (in this case) isn’t great but is competitive with the alternatives competing with the minimalist style (Tesla). This really goes down to taste and style. The simplest example of this is the steering wheel. It is mind boggling how many buttons other car manufacturers continue to put in the area and how wrong they get it (even the AMG Mercedes steering wheel).

Mercedes has amazing quality interior, but they overload everything in a way that can be distasteful over time in something like the EQS. A lot of it is tacky, and the plastic bits do not help the cause.

I’ve come to learn I value a bit of minimalism with my tech and appreciate that aspect about the Lucid. My only alternative is Tesla (which I am an OG owner of). Their quality in this area is simply garbage.
I agree with almost everything said here with a few exceptions. I do like the AMG EQS steering wheel better than the standard EQS and the buttons have a better feel than the Lucid DE. The only other things I like about the EQS are physical buttons for door locks, mirror folding, steering wheel adjustment and HomeLink and of course I do love the HUD. I am use to HUDs so I miss it.

With a few changes, I think that the DE interior would be fantastic.

676417E0-92CF-4D00-8950-C5AAA40506BB.jpeg
0F46A310-0EB4-4F85-942F-0D2B09678297.jpeg
44636641-4AD6-4179-A3B4-00322BD10270.jpeg

But the car Lucid is trying to mimic doesn't offer HUD....... Tesla *cough* *cough*

There are good HUD's and bad HUD's though. The ones that project onto the glass are the good ones. In the cheaper models you tend to get a screen that pops up out of the dash and it's hit and miss whether you can see them clearly or adjust them enough so they're in your line of site. I've drive a Kona recently that had one on a pop up screen and find I could never adjust it enough to see it properly without having to lower my head etc. to see
I agree. But at least on the Lucid the regular display is relatively high and right in front of you. Tesla makes you look to the side to see anything...even how fast you are driving. I really prefer a HUD (I almost never look anywhere else on my DD). For me...Tesla's unwillingness to at least offer a HUD option makes Tesla a no for me.

I don’t think either the EQS or the Lucid Air interior is really perfectly ‘luxurious’. In my opinion, the EQS interior design is gaudy at best, includes an unusually high amount of cheap materials, and will age very poorly - it will look worse and worse with each passing year and to me, something that is styled timelessly is closer to my definition of ‘luxury’. On the other hand, although the Lucid has a beautiful and simplistic elegance to it - closer to ‘timeless’ - it isn’t quite opulent or sumptuous enough to be truly considered on the higher end of luxury. I wish Lucid didn’t axe the executive seating option. The rear section of the vehicle is spacious, but I wouldn’t call it luxurious. Something can be both extremely opulent yet still be elegant and classy. Neither EQS nor Lucid hit that mark in my opinion.

I don’t think either the EQS or the Lucid Air interior is really perfectly ‘luxurious’. In my opinion, the EQS interior design is gaudy at best, includes an unusually high amount of cheap materials, and will age very poorly - it will look worse and worse with each passing year and to me, something that is styled timelessly is closer to my definition of ‘luxury’. On the other hand, although the Lucid has a beautiful and simplistic elegance to it - closer to ‘timeless’ - it isn’t quite opulent or sumptuous enough to be truly considered on the higher end of luxury. I wish Lucid didn’t axe the executive seating option. The rear section of the vehicle is spacious, but I wouldn’t call it luxurious. Something can be both extremely opulent yet still be elegant and classy. Neither EQS nor Lucid hit that mark in my opinion.
I agree with everything but the EQS materials. Most things that you touch in my wife's AMG EQS feel more solid than my DE.

I do like the interior of the BMW iX better than the EQS and it is more functional than the Lucid.

Yeah - for me the EQS is gaudy, not luxury. A throwback to the gilded rooms of Trump’s NY towers or the blinged out hands and necks of people who want to show off that they have money. It isn’t me.
Haha yeah like how many Mercedes 3 pointed stars do they need? They ruined the front “grille” with a thousand of them, the whole car looks like a nascar driver’s uniform with only one sponsor. Yeah we know it’s a Mercedes, it doesn’t need to be bling-a-palooza. Meanwhile the old Merc 300D had the hood ornament and the logo on the steering wheel and the trunk, and that was it and it was NICE (except it took 2 miles to stop the car, god those brakes were shit).

I don’t mean to hate on the car, but yeah it’s not my type either.

I never really paid too much attention to the EQS, as I thought the pics of the exterior I had seen were rather bland. But after reading this thread, I hopped over to YouTube to watch Doug DeMuro review, and wow. So many things that are the OPPOSITE of what I want in a car.
To each their own, and all that, but yikes. Not for me.
The giant screen would be fine. But what's with the retro WindowsXP UI look? XP was ugly when it came out, let alone now.
Fragrance? Is this a car, or a brothel? Don't eat in your car. It'll smell fine, believe me.
Fingerprint scanner to change profiles? And it's in the middle of the car? So no chance the seat will be anywhere near where I need it to be UNTIL AFTER I sit down?
A sound preference to make it sound like is has an engine? At least they don't charge you an extra $500, like Porsche. And you can turn it off.
Press a button on the screen to open the trunk? No. You have to press the button, THEN slide a slider over and hold it. Okay. Is there an epidemic of people opening trunks accidentally I'm unaware of?
The steering wheel looks nice. I'll give them that.
I'm sure the materials feel amazing. That's what you'd expect from Mercedes. But the overall interior look is super gaudy to me, while the exterior looks like an oversized Toyota from the 90s.
I'm glad this car exists for the people who like it, but this would never be in the running for my money, no matter what happens with my Lucid order.
If this is what modern luxury is, I want out.

I never really paid too much attention to the EQS, as I thought the pics of the exterior I had seen were rather bland. But after reading this thread, I hopped over to YouTube to watch Doug DeMuro review, and wow. So many things that are the OPPOSITE of what I want in a car.
The giant screen would be fine. But what's with the retro WindowsXP UI look? XP was ugly when it came out, let alone now.
Fragrance? Is this a car, or a brothel? Don't eat in your car. It'll smell fine, believe me.
Fingerprint scanner to change profiles? And it's in the middle of the car? So no chance the seat will be anywhere near where I need it to be UNTIL AFTER I sit down?
A sound preference to make it sound like is has an engine? At least they don't charge you an extra $500, like Porsche. And you can turn it off.
Press a button on the screen to open the trunk? No. You have to press the button, THEN slide a slider over and hold it. Okay. Is there an epidemic of people opening trunks accidentally I'm unaware of?
I'm sure the materials feel amazing. That's what you'd expect from Mercedes. But the overall interior look is super gaudy to me, while the exterior looks like an oversized Toyota from the 90s.
I'm glad this car exists for the people who like it, but this would never be in the running for my money, no matter what happens with my Lucid order.
My wife likes her AMG EQS. I will like my Dream Edition Performance when the software works as well as the Mercedes!

My wife likes her AMG EQS. I will like my Dream Edition Performance when the software works as well as the Mercedes!
Yeah EQS cosmetics aside, MBUX (with the exception of voice-navigation consistency) in my old car worked great most of the time. From the OutOfSpec review the EQS charging planning/routing/info software is particularly impressive.

I agree with each of these annoyances personally.

Mercedes software is honestly the best on the market and trumps Tesla’s easily. No, I’m not exaggerating.. it’s the current standard IMO. You’ll here most YouTube car enthusiasts note the exact same thing.

I only hope Lucid aspires to match it in quality.

Mercedes software is honestly the best on the market and trumps Tesla’s easily. No, I’m not exaggerating.. it’s the current standard IMO. You’ll here most YouTube car enthusiasts note the exact same thing.

I only hope Lucid aspires to match it in quality.

Really?

My wife’s XT5 is horrible. Every time I ask it to “call Louisa“ it responds “You want to order pizza?”

Probably never. MB, Audi and BMW have a long headstart on software. But driving dynamics..... and range.......
I disagree. Go buy a half dozen high-end cars and pick the features and functions that Lucid wants and copy them.

My wife’s XT5 is horrible. Every time I ask it to “call Louisa“ it responds “You want to order pizza?”
Haha I had a Cadillac CT5 as a rental car in Seattle a couple years back. It was abysmal. Got 12mpg in the city, the navigation was garbage, steering was inconsistent, the rear cross traffic alert would go off and vibrate your seat when you were driving forward at 40mph. The only good thing was the seats were pretty comfy.

I disagree. Go buy a half dozen high-end cars and pick the features and functions that Lucid wants and copy them.
I love Audi’s MMI and navigation, very intuitive and it’s awesome at finding alternate routes and avoiding traffic, in fact I think it’s the best native auto navigation software I’ve used, and estimated time/distance super well, whereas MBs always overestimates the time to arrival, it seems to ignore your driving habits. Anytime I need a rental car I use Silvercar so you can get an Audi every time.

I love Audi’s MMI and navigation, very intuitive and it’s awesome at finding alternate routes and avoiding traffic, in fact I think it’s the best native auto navigation software I’ve used, and estimated time/distance super well, whereas MBs always overestimates the time to arrival, it seems to ignore your driving habits. Anytime I need a rental car I use Silvercar so you can get an Audi every time.
I mostly use Google maps and Android Auto. Full integration on my other cars. Hopefully Lucid will have it one day.

I agree. But at least on the Lucid the regular display is relatively high and right in front of you. Tesla makes you look to the side to see anything...even how fast you are driving. I really prefer a HUD (I almost never look anywhere else on my DD). For me...Tesla's unwillingness to at least offer a HUD option makes Tesla a no for me.
Tesla put the turn signal camera view on the large screen in the middle of the car. Can't think of a worse place to have to look at while changing lanes.

Back