Let's talk about the Air's interior compared to competing luxury cars

It might seem redundant but I’m told once you have it you never want to go without it.
I agree, I do miss the HUD. For me, when using the navigation etc you don’t need to take your eyes off the road to look over or look down to check speed, directors etc. it’s all just convenient on the windshield.

I agree, I do miss the HUD. For me, when using the navigation etc you don’t need to take your eyes off the road to look over or look down to check speed, directors etc. it’s all just convenient on the windshield.
I had it on two Lexus cars I owned and I didn’t like it. Turned it off.

Maybe I'm missing something, what is HUD going to display that you want?

I have three cars with HUDs and like them . I see the speed, cruise control setting and speed limit, fuel level, temp and NAV turn data and more, all without having to look down at the dash screen. Is a HUB necessary, no. Do I like them and wish my DE had one, yes!

Hopefully, Lucid will introduce a young driver mode. It's a ways off but I'd be very hesitant to put my daughter as a brand new 16 year old behind the wheel of my AGT.
Lol. I would not want my teenage child to have a 800hp car at their disposal. You know their friends will tell them to gun it and they'll do it m

I completely agree. I will definitely miss HUD.

Maybe I'm missing something, what is HUD going to display that you want?
We bought a Genesis GV80 last spring and it was the first car I have owned with a HUD. I LOVE IT!

With the speed projected on the windshield, I find I never have to look down at the dash.

Also, with the NAV directions on the windshield, again, never have to take your eyes off the road.

I wish it was on the Air. I will miss it.

Isnt is unusual for a $140000 2022 car not to have HUD?
2018 and newer Lincoln Navigators have them, ~$100K
C8 Corvettes have them as an option, $70-96K
Mercedes EQS offers them, ~$130K
Cadillac offers them, ~$100

And I am sure that there are many more.

But the car Lucid is trying to mimic doesn't offer HUD....... Tesla *cough* *cough*

There are good HUD's and bad HUD's though. The ones that project onto the glass are the good ones. In the cheaper models you tend to get a screen that pops up out of the dash and it's hit and miss whether you can see them clearly or adjust them enough so they're in your line of site. I've drive a Kona recently that had one on a pop up screen and find I could never adjust it enough to see it properly without having to lower my head etc. to see

But the car Lucid is trying to mimic doesn't offer HUD....... Tesla *cough* *cough*

There are good HUD's and bad HUD's though. The ones that project onto the glass are the good ones. In the cheaper models you tend to get a screen that pops up out of the dash and it's hit and miss whether you can see them clearly or adjust them enough so they're in your line of site. I've drive a Kona recently that had one on a pop up screen and find I could never adjust it enough to see it properly without having to lower my head etc. to see

I guess I'm showing my age. To me it's sort of like blind spot detection. Cars don't have blind spots...

2018 and newer Lincoln Navigators have them, ~$100K
C8 Corvettes have them as an option, $70-96K
Mercedes EQS offers them, ~$130K
Cadillac offers them, ~$100

And I am sure that there are many more.
My 2015 MB S Class has it and I love it. When the GT arrives I will miss the HUD.....one of several small sacrifices I will make to get all the benefits associated with the GT.

Couple things here. Peter has said from the start that he is not trying to mimic Tesla, but rather sees Lucid competing with the Mercedes S Class. That was one of the things that attracted me to Lucid, never had a Tesla and I figured if he were benchmarking the S Class, it should be a good thing. As for the HUD, I have it on my 2014 BMW M5, but wearing polarized sunglasses tends to cause problems. I find myself adjusting my view at times to be able to see it. I am not sure if I will miss it or not, quite frankly. We'll see. I might have to turn it off on the M5 and start getting by without it.

Couple things here. Peter has said from the start that he is not trying to mimic Tesla, but rather sees Lucid competing with the Mercedes S Class. That was one of the things that attracted me to Lucid, never had a Tesla and I figured if he were benchmarking the S Class, it should be a good thing. As for the HUD, I have it on my 2014 BMW M5, but wearing polarized sunglasses tends to cause problems. I find myself adjusting my view at times to be able to see it. I am not sure if I will miss it or not, quite frankly. We'll see. I might have to turn it off on the M5 and start getting by without it.
He backpedalled recently and said they're going after Tesla because a number of people were saying it's a quality car but not S class quality. Now when he seems to compare it to the S class he talks more about the room in the car saying it has more room than the S class.

I chose the Lucid because I wanted a car that competed with Tesla in efficiency and tech with OTA etc that had a better internal quality than Tesla. I think Lucid has delivered this and with more OTA updates the software will only improve it but is it up to the quality of the S class? I have to disagree on that one. I love the car but I think it was a bad strategy to compare to the S Class in my opinion.

As a current EQS owner, Lucid’s interior is questionably inferior. It’s the difference between hopping in a nice living room chair versus a luxury home theater chair. One clearly out classes the other. With that being said, these interiors have radically different takes on the luxury concept. Lucid focuses on the open simplicity feel versus the S class cars that focus on more clutter and almost hugging you in pure luxury. One is a minimalist approach versus something that could be considered too much.

I’ve personally been going through the value debate and do firmly believe asking more for less (in this case) isn’t great but is competitive with the alternatives competing with the minimalist style (Tesla). This really goes down to taste and style. The simplest example of this is the steering wheel. It is mind boggling how many buttons other car manufacturers continue to put in the area and how wrong they get it (even the AMG Mercedes steering wheel).

Mercedes has amazing quality interior, but they overload everything in a way that can be distasteful over time in something like the EQS. A lot of it is tacky, and the plastic bits do not help the cause.

I’ve come to learn I value a bit of minimalism with my tech and appreciate that aspect about the Lucid. My only alternative is Tesla (which I am an OG owner of). Their quality in this area is simply garbage.

Last edited:
Back