Less tinting on the windshield, is this even possible?

pattychuck

Cars
Grand Touring
I'm having a horrible problem with my windshield, in that I find that the tint comes down waaaaay too low. I've never felt claustaphobic driving in a car at night until I drove my Lucid. The tint line is almost directly in the center of my normal vision so it basically cuts my view out the windshield in half. I find myself constantly ducking and slouching in order to see traffic lights, and driving on hilly country roads is kinda scary when headed downhill since I can't see much of what's on the road in front of me.

I also find the back side of the dash to be rediculously reflective on the tinted part when it's overcast (which is November to May where I live). I've read on here "just wear polarized sunglasses" but I don't typically wear sunglasses when it's overcast outside. If I were an inch or two shorter, the problem goes away (images taken by a passenger, no threat to safety). My windshield also suffers from the double headlight issue but the tint problem is worse. It's pushing me to consider selling the vehicle, which sucks because this is hands-down the best car I've ever owned.

Attachments

• IMG_7845.jpeg
    IMG_7845.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_7846.jpeg
    IMG_7846.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 154
My windshield also suffers from the double headlight issue
Every single windshield they've put in a car has had this issue unfortunately. Just a design flaw from the supplier. (just my opinion - no word from Lucid)

I also share the same concern with the tint but I know nothing can be done about it. I just duck to look past it.
I'm frequently not able to read street signs at night unless I duck below the tint line.

I do not feel claustrophobic in the car at night so I'm okay with it. It's just a quirk to me. The double vision at night drives me absolutely nuts but alas...I haven't sold the car yet.

welcome to the land of the tall people problems! I (and windscar and dolphin) have the same exact issues. The tint doesn't bother me as much, but the double vision does.

Regarding the reflection, I have received a sample swatch of alcantara to create a cover for the back of the pilot panel. I'll get back to you if that works.

Every single windshield they've put in a car has had this issue unfortunately. Just a design flaw from the supplier. (just my opinion - no word from Lucid)

I also share the same concern with the tint but I know nothing can be done about it. I just duck to look past it.
I'm frequently not able to read street signs at night unless I duck below the tint line.

I do not feel claustrophobic in the car at night so I'm okay with it. It's just a quirk to me. The double vision at night drives me absolutely nuts but alas...I haven't sold the car yet.
What I've noticed with the double headlights is that if you scooch down, it goes away. Now I'm not suggesting that this is a solution because it isn't.

However, to me it indicates the root cause of the issue is the light refraction is exacerbated by the extremely low slope of the windshield towards the top (top being the key, where the slope is the smallest).

I'm mentioning it because i don't see that as a glass manufacturing "bug" but rather an issue not envisioned during design. It may take polarizing to some extent the glass of the windshield itself to correct this problem.

What I've noticed with the double headlights is that if you scooch down, it goes away. Now I'm not suggesting that this is a solution because it isn't.

However, to me it indicates the root cause of the issue is the light refraction is exacerbated by the extremely low slope of the windshield towards the top (top being the key, where the slope is the smallest).

I'm mentioning it because i don't see that as a glass manufacturing "bug" but rather an issue not envisioned during design. It may take polarizing to some extent the glass of the windshield itself to correct this problem.
As someone who's been dealing with this for a while, I feel like that's the go to explanation. But I'm not buying it. I've Sat in 4-5 different Model Ys, they get their glass from the same manufacturer, and their windshield exhibits this issue (albeit to a much smaller extent) across the entire windshield. There isn't a "zone" where it's better or worse.

The Model X used to have the same issue, wasn't zone related, was fixed later on.

Lucid said they're aware and are working on it. I'm hopeful future revisions won't have this issue.

As someone who's been dealing with this for a while, I feel like that's the go to explanation. But I'm not buying it. I've Sat in 4-5 different Model Ys, they get their glass from the same manufacturer, and their windshield exhibits this issue (albeit to a much smaller extent) across the entire windshield. There isn't a "zone" where it's better or worse.

The Model X used to have the same issue, wasn't zone related, was fixed later on.

Lucid said they're aware and are working on it. I'm hopeful future revisions won't have this issue.
You may be interested in reading this article from Wired https://www.wired.com/2016/04/tesla-windshield-ghosting-double-vision/

It's physics, plus a few other factors that contribute to refraction, including the slope of the glass at eye sight, and glass composition.

It's why some Lucid owners do experience it and some don't. Same for Tesla, and other manufacturers.

You may be interested in reading this article from Wired https://www.wired.com/2016/04/tesla-windshield-ghosting-double-vision/

It's physics, plus a few other factors that contribute to refraction, including the slope of the glass at eye sight, and glass composition.

It's why some Lucid owners do experience it and some don't. Same for Tesla, and other manufacturers.

Yup! I've seen that article. I get that it's physics, all I'm saying is that a sloped windshield at eye-level isn't the only factor here.

Windshields are pretty complicated these days. Impressive multi layer glass structures. Makes sense that these refractions can occur. Like I said, I've seen it on other vehicles, all across the windshield, curved or not.

Anyway, it is something that can be fixed and I'm hopeful it will be. I've been meaning to try out some anti glare tint coating to see if it fixes it in the meantime. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Fwiw(for anyone else that comes across this), in the Air, unless you're 6'1"+ you're unlikely to experience this effect.

Reactions: RPM
If you find an as anti-reflective coating that you like, please let us know. There are some of us out there experiencing this issue.

Back