Warning: Eye strain, Split vision, and headache for tall drivers

egads... i'm just under 6'5" and did not get a chance to test drive - picking up my touring next week! i hope it doesn't cause as much distress as you guys are seeing! has anyone actually tried the polarized glasses approach? i realize thats not really an option at night, but seems like a good indicator of what a fix would be
Polarized glasses definitely eliminate the issue. Their utility in this specific case is very limited as you pointed out.

What about something like this?

YIMI Polarized Photochromic Driving z87 Sunglasses For Men Women Day and Night safety glasses https://a.co/d/cW69ja4
thanks for the link - i've gone ahead and ordered since i plan on taking an 800 mile trip right off the bat! if (when!?) i notice the issue - i'll give these a shot!

Let us know how they work. The distortion zone is just above my normal sight line. But I might have to get some too. It's definitely better with my polarized sunglasses during the day

What about something like this?

YIMI Polarized Photochromic Driving z87 Sunglasses For Men Women Day and Night safety glasses https://a.co/d/cW69ja4
I purchased these and tonight was my first test using them. I can confirm they do eliminate the double vision. A great fund for cheap! Thanks!

i agree - they help a lot! i can still see the stitching but doesn't bother me much.. just picked the car up so still quite amp'd to be noticing everything!

I just picked up my car a few hours ago https://lucidowners.com/threads/grand-touring-delivery-tracker.493/post-67548

On my drive back, I experienced something I have not seen mentioned anywhere. It's something I would have never caught on a test drive.

I'm 6'4" and with the seat all the way down, my eyes line up nearly exactly with the bottom "fade in" area of the tint on the front windshield. As it started to get dark on my drive back from the delivery center, I made a comment to my wife about something possibly wrong with the windshield and that "all point lights are doubled". This was highly unpleasant and I will be reaching out to support about this. I don't know what they can do but people need to know this is a massive problem for tall people.

If I slouch as much as possible in the seat, I can bring my sight line about an inch or so lower and then the view out the front is clear and sharp.
Mid windshield is fine, looking through the tint itself is fine, but anywhere near the upper part before the tint starts is blurry.

It's basically exactly this issue that the Tesla Model X had https://www.wired.com/2016/04/tesla-windshield-ghosting-double-vision/

Here's a video of it. Watch the oncoming traffic, ignore the floating lights on the right side of the screen, those are just iPhone 12 lens flares. The camera moves up into the tint after a few seconds and there you can see the blur is gone when looking through the tint directly.
This is the first I have heard of this. Have mine since October 2022. Issues I have had are a rubbing noise from the rear windshield deck. Lucid is aware and has built a retrofit part to eliminate friction between the glass and the trim and which is being installed as I write this by the mobile tech. (Second time addressing this issue). Also, a hood vent came loose and is being replaced. Other than that, that's it!

As to this windshield issue, I have heard something like this before, but not exactly. As you know the EZPASS transponder must be placed on the passenger lower side of the windshield to be read. This is due to the costings built into the windshield which serve a variety of safety and operational functions. It is possible that what you are experiencing is a defect in that coating process. Definitely bring to Lucid's attention and consider demanding a windshield swap.

This is the first I have heard of this. Have mine since October 2022. Issues I have had are a rubbing noise from the rear windshield deck. Lucid is aware and has built a retrofit part to eliminate friction between the glass and the trim and which is being installed as I write this by the mobile tech. (Second time addressing this issue). Also, a hood vent came loose and is being replaced. Other than that, that's it!

As to this windshield issue, I have heard something like this before, but not exactly. As you know the EZPASS transponder must be placed on the passenger lower side of the windshield to be read. This is due to the costings built into the windshield which serve a variety of safety and operational functions. It is possible that what you are experiencing is a defect in that coating process. Definitely bring to Lucid's attention and consider demanding a windshield swap.
Coatings not costings. Sorry.

I'm 5'11", and have not seen this issue, specifically. I have seen an issue with the leather stitching on the dashboard being prominently visible (via reflection) in the windshield during the day (sadly, right at eye line), but I assumed it was a function of my ceramic tint (which is quite dark)

I'm 5'11", and have not seen this issue, specifically. I have seen an issue with the leather stitching on the dashboard being prominently visible (via reflection) in the windshield during the day (sadly, right at eye line), but I assumed it was a function of my ceramic tint (which is quite dark)
I have an Air scheduled for delivery in April. At 6'3", reports of this issue concern me. I asked DA directly about it in an email and his response was:

"I too have experienced this with the glass canopy. It usually happens with the transitionary area from your windshield to your tinted glass canopy.

I am glad to report that your Lucid Air will not have this as an area of concern. "

When I pressed for specifics he replied: "We have changed the type of tint film that we utilize."

So the problem might be no problem for newer cars....

I have an Air scheduled for delivery in April. At 6'3", reports of this issue concern me. I asked DA directly about it in an email and his response was:

"I too have experienced this with the glass canopy. It usually happens with the transitionary area from your windshield to your tinted glass canopy.

I am glad to report that your Lucid Air will not have this as an area of concern. "

When I pressed for specifics he replied: "We have changed the type of tint film that we utilize."

Interesting. I will reach out to service about this.

I purchased these and tonight was my first test using them. I can confirm they do eliminate the double vision. A great fund for cheap! Thanks!

i agree - they help a lot! i can still see the stitching but doesn't bother me much.. just picked the car up so still quite amp'd to be noticing everything!
Full disclosure, I didn't have them before I researched options. I bought them after. And YES! They are great for cloudy days and anytime you don't want to wear sunglasses! Even for me at a measly 6'2"!

Has your car been delivered? If so, is it true that your car does not have this issue?

Has your car been delivered? If so, is it true that your car does not have this issue?
I have the car, and drove it briefly after dark for the first time last night. As far as I could tell there is no blurring/double vision issue.

As I think others have reported, I do see two dark round "shadows", in the swath of my headlights, in the on-coming lane. I think I read this is "normal" and intended to reduce glare for drivers in the opposite direction. I found it distracting and hope I can ignore it if it's something that's really there by design....

I have the car, and drove it briefly after dark for the first time last night. As far as I could tell there is no blurring/double vision issue.

As I think others have reported, I do see two dark round "shadows", in the swath of my headlights, in the on-coming lane. I think I read this is "normal" and intended to reduce glare for drivers in the opposite direction. I found it distracting and hope I can ignore it if it's something that's really there by design....
I did get used to the dark spots pretty quick. I only notice them now when I’m pulling into a garage.

You do "learn" to ignore it, but be forewarned that anyone you let drive the car will ask you what they are (which, in turn, makes you focus on them again.. for a bit .. so, don't let anyone else drive your car ;)).

I just picked up my car a few hours ago https://lucidowners.com/threads/grand-touring-delivery-tracker.493/post-67548

On my drive back, I experienced something I have not seen mentioned anywhere. It's something I would have never caught on a test drive.

I'm 6'4" and with the seat all the way down, my eyes line up nearly exactly with the bottom "fade in" area of the tint on the front windshield. As it started to get dark on my drive back from the delivery center, I made a comment to my wife about something possibly wrong with the windshield and that "all point lights are doubled". This was highly unpleasant and I will be reaching out to support about this. I don't know what they can do but people need to know this is a massive problem for tall people.

If I slouch as much as possible in the seat, I can bring my sight line about an inch or so lower and then the view out the front is clear and sharp.
Mid windshield is fine, looking through the tint itself is fine, but anywhere near the upper part before the tint starts is blurry.

It's basically exactly this issue that the Tesla Model X had https://www.wired.com/2016/04/tesla-windshield-ghosting-double-vision/

Here's a video of it. Watch the oncoming traffic, ignore the floating lights on the right side of the screen, those are just iPhone 12 lens flares. The camera moves up into the tint after a few seconds and there you can see the blur is gone when looking through the tint directly.
I’m 6’2 and I experience something similar. I get more eye fatigue than usual because the tint line is in my opinion lower than it should be and the fact that it curves toward the left of the line of sight makes it even worse. I’m not sure how service could address something like this, but I’m glad you’re bringing it up.

I’m 6’2 and I experience something similar. I get more eye fatigue than usual because the tint line is in my opinion lower than it should be and the fact that it curves toward the left of the line of sight makes it even worse. I’m not sure how service could address something like this, but I’m glad you’re bringing it up.

Back