Warning: Eye strain, Split vision, and headache for tall drivers

The doubling of the stitch is caused by the same thing. If you zoom in you can see that the stitch appears multiple times. If I'd moved the camera down a bit that doubling also disappeared.
I see what you are referring to @PolarAir. It is similar to what @Thinjake is showing in his photo. Take what you are seeing in the controlled studio environment and multiply it when you are out on the road with lots of streetlights, headlights, store signs, etc. Ghosting effect is exponentially magnified.

Alright, reporting back. I sat in three Airs, including a GT with a 5800 VIN. All of them had the double image described previously (see photo attached). Real bummer.
Im 6'5" and not being able to put the steering wheel further out for comprtable ride i deem is the greatest disadvantage for tall drivers. Id need another 3"out for comfort.

Im 6'5" and not being able to put the steering wheel further out for comprtable ride i deem is the greatest disadvantage for tall drivers. Id need another 3"out for comfort.
It seems as though they didn’t have any taller designers/engineers/testers when developing the car as these issues would have been readily apparent. Still holding out hope they can do something to resolve the vision issue with an anti-reflective coating/film of some sort. Don’t know how much they can do with the steering column extension short of a redesign. Love the car but it is parked when the sun goes down.

I love the fact that with me driving at 6’5”, I can have my 6’5” and 6’7” kids in the back with room to spare.

It seems as though they didn’t have any taller designers/engineers/testers when developing the car as these issues would have been readily apparent. Still holding out hope they can do something to resolve the vision issue with an anti-reflective coating/film of some sort. Don’t know how much they can do with the steering column extension short of a redesign. Love the car but it is parked when the sun goes down.

I love the fact that with me driving at 6’5”, I can have my 6’5” and 6’7” kids in the back with room to spare.
They have executives who are over 6'5". I just think they had drag goals that conflicted with making the car more comfortable for the height-gifted among us.

Lamborghini never made Countach for folks who were 6'5", either. It's not common for car companies to accommodate everyone well, unfortunately.

Heck, I'm 6'2" and I can't fit in most Miatas. Literally can't sit in it without tilting my head.

I'm sure my 4'11" wife will struggle a bit to find a good seating position in the Air, too.

I'd love to see Lucid take the lead on this with designs for future models. Or even with future iterations of the Air.

They have executives who are over 6'5". I just think they had drag goals that conflicted with making the car more comfortable for the height-gifted among us.

Lamborghini never made Countach for folks who were 6'5", either. It's not common for car companies to accommodate everyone well, unfortunately.

Heck, I'm 6'2" and I can't fit in most Miatas. Literally can't sit in it without tilting my head.

I'm sure my 4'11" wife will struggle a bit to find a good seating position in the Air, too.

I'd love to see Lucid take the lead on this with designs for future models. Or even with future iterations of the Air.
My 4'10" mom actually found a great seating position, better than some of the other cars we've owned. So have faith for your wife!

Completely 100% agreed! I've reached out to as many people at Lucid as I can to try to get the message to the Lucid product team. Is Zak on these forums? Can he help us get the message to the correct folks?

They really need to fix the telescoping steering column to come closer to the driver. I'm 6'2" and a 1/2 and there's no way for me to rest my elbows on the armrests as I drive and still hold the wheel.

This, as much as I want the car, is a deal breaker. I truly hope Lucid addresses this before the Touring and Pure vehicles launch.

Last edited:
Completely 100% agreed! I've reached out to as many people at Lucid as I can to try to get the message to the Lucid Product team.

They really need to fix the telescoping steering column to come closer to the driver. I'm 6'2" and a 1/2 and there's no way for me to rest my elbows on the armrests as I drive and still hold the wheel.

This, as much as I want to car, is a deal breaker. I truly hope Lucid addresses this before the Touring and Pure vehicles launch.
I don't think it will be addressed before the launch of Touring and Pure. Touring is likely going into production in the next week or two.

But rumor has it they are doing some sort of redesign of the wheel, as it has a tendency to creak for some people. Not sure if it's just the wheel itself or the whole assembly that's involved. If it's the entire assembly, perhaps the telescoping could be extended a bit further while they are at it? Who knows?

Some folks who have the "creak" have been told Lucid will retrofit this new wheel for customers who are experiencing the problem when the new wheel becomes available.

Thanks, I have my fingers crossed.

If they can fix the steering column issue and work out the EA charging issues, I think it will be a fabulous car and give MB, etc. a lot of competition.

I don't think it will be addressed before the launch of Touring and Pure. Touring is likely going into production in the next week or two.

But rumor has it they are doing some sort of redesign of the wheel, as it has a tendency to creak for some people. Not sure if it's just the wheel itself or the whole assembly that's involved. If it's the entire assembly, perhaps the telescoping could be extended a bit further while they are at it? Who knows?

Some folks who have the "creak" have been told Lucid will retrofit this new wheel for customers who are experiencing the problem when the new wheel becomes available.
When Service came out to fix a bunch of trim and loose part issues , they actually replaced my steering wheel because of the creak . I thought they were just going to put felt in but they replaced the entire steering wheel. It definitely is different from my initial one and less plastic on the back side . Not sure if this is the new design, but definitely works.

When Service came out to fix a bunch of trim and loose part issues , they actually replaced my steering wheel because of the creak . I thought they were just going to put felt in but they replaced the entire steering wheel. It definitely is different from my initial one and less plastic on the back side . Not sure if this is the new design, but definitely works.
Is this creek when the steering wheel is being fully turned either way? I kinda notice that, but didn't pay much attention to it until I read this now!

Is this creek when the steering wheel is being fully turned either way? I kinda notice that, but didn't pay much attention to it until I read this now!
No, it was noticeable with any movement of the wheel, even small turns. Didn’t start until I had about 1500 miles on the car. The plastic pieces on back of steering wheel seemed to not fit well and made noise

It’s off topic but yeah I’ve also started to notice a slight creak from the wheel now. I feel like the local service team holds a secret grudge against me because of all the issues I’ve had 😂

I think the creak increases the longer you have it. I didn't notice much several months ago, but it's more pronounced now. Easily tolerable, but I'll have them take a look when I go in for the recall (whenever that starts).

I think the creak increases the longer you have it. I didn't notice much several months ago, but it's more pronounced now. Easily tolerable, but I'll have them take a look when I go in for the recall (whenever that starts).
Can someone please record this? I’ve been noticing a slight creaking but want to know if it’s the same thing.

Ju
Can someone please record this? I’ve been noticing a slight creaking but want to know if it’s the same thing.
Just torque your steering wheel forward and back on each side and you can hear the plastic rubbing against itself. Service can take care of it in 15 min and they use a felt tape to create a barrier so there no plastic plastic. Works great.

Ju

Just torque your steering wheel forward and back on each side and you can hear the plastic rubbing against itself. Service can take care of it in 15 min and they use a felt tape to create a barrier so there no plastic plastic. Works great.
I’ll try that out. I’ve noticed it creaks randomly when I put weight on it and turn it. Very short creaks.

Yes, just got back from my service visit.
I checked out 3 cars, 1 in the studio, and 2 test drive cars. Studio and 1 test drive car were pre-production. The other car is much newer.

All 3 cars showed the exact same windshield reflection issue. This is a fleet wide issue.

It's very easy to quickly check if a car has this problem (even during the day) if you look at the reflection of the stitch line going across the dash. You'll see a double reflection on a faulty windshield in the 4-6inch region below the tint line.

I don't know how to get engineering or design involved but I really want to. My service tech suggests possibly tinting the windshield ever so slightly to see if that cuts out the effect but I really want Lucid to look for a more permanent fix (especially since they use AGP for glass, and Model X had exactly this issue)

Not sure what the next steps are but the tech finally saw the issue. I suspect Lucid is going to say it's not a big deal and to just deal with it. If only they could see it at night...
i am 6'3" and have the same issue.
Yeah I think it all comes down to how the blurred vision effects you.
It causes more than normal eye strain for me and headaches for @DolphinTale.

I'm willing to try anything to help mitigate this issue.
I have the same issue and cannot lower the seat any further to avoid the blurred vision at night. I am 6' 3" and did not have an opportunity to test drive before buying.

I heard back from Zak Edson, VP Sales and Service and was told the engineering team is looking into what can be done to minimize the effect. Also got a call from Lucid Riviera Beach that they have the new windshield on order and just waiting for delivery. Fingers crossed that we can get some resolution for myself, and those who have no choice but to look through this upper region of the windshield.
please let us know if there is a resolution.

please let us know if there is a resolution.
Unfortunately there is no new resolution to this issue. I heard from Zak Edson the day-before-yesterday only to be told that engineering is still looking into this issue and that it has the attention of the "highest levels of engineering". He further went on to say "The current expectation is that it could take a few months to make adjustments and get them fully tested and certified."

Back