Warning: Eye strain, Split vision, and headache for tall drivers

Unfortunately there is no new resolution to this issue. I heard from Zak Edson the day-before-yesterday only to be told that engineering is still looking into this issue and that it has the attention of the "highest levels of engineering". He further went on to say "The current expectation is that it could take a few months to make adjustments and get them fully tested and certified."
I am just following up on this. This has become a big problem as it gets darker earlier and I am driving more at night. There has to be a fix-- with tinting or something offered. For those that have not followed this, the choices to avoid the double or triple light effect are to either to look out the windshield either well over or under your normal, comfortable seating position. Essentially you have to trade eye strain for neck and back pain.

This is a legit question, as I too, suffer form this double vision problem. Do they make non-tinted polarized glasses? My polarized sunglasses eliminate the double vision, but I don't want to wear them at night. When I mentioned this to Zak, he said it was "interesting" and would look into it.

emails are being returned as undeliverable. I was hoping to go on record with Lucid about my having this issue.
Mine was returned the first time I tried too, because I had an underscore in mine. but this email format worked and I had a response from him within 3.5 hours.

But, interestingly enough, in his signature line of his email, it shows his email as [email protected]. No last name. Maybe try that?

I’m 6’2 and have no issues with this
You don't see this at night?

Double vision.jpg

I’m 6’2 and have no issues with this
You are lucky. It is about a 4-5 inch strip of the glass that just happens to be at eye level and adjusting the seat does not help. I keep thinking of that part in the movie "The Jerk" where he invents the thing to keep eye glasses from slipping and everyone goes cross-eyed because of it.

This is a legit question, as I too, suffer form this double vision problem. Do they make non-tinted polarized glasses? My polarized sunglasses eliminate the double vision, but I don't want to wear them at night. When I mentioned this to Zak, he said it was "interesting" and would look into it.
Not entirely untinted, but plenty of places offer “night driving glasses” that are generally slightly yellow and polarized.

For example: Polarized Glasses for Men & Women – Night Vision/Sun Glasses With PC, Rubber Frame & REVO Coating Sports Sunglasses https://a.co/d/a9i8ndu

Not entirely untinted, but plenty of places offer “night driving glasses” that are generally slightly yellow and polarized.

For example: Polarized Glasses for Men & Women – Night Vision/Sun Glasses With PC, Rubber Frame & REVO Coating Sports Sunglasses https://a.co/d/a9i8ndu
Not sure I want to wear my sunglasses at night but it seems that Lucid could come up with some lightly or untinted polarized film to coat the glass

Not sure I want to wear my sunglasses at night but it seems that Lucid could come up with some lightly or untinted polarized film to coat the glass
The problem area is right where the tint begins on the glass. Something about the transition between the untinted and tinted. But I agree. There may be some sort of chemical solution to this.

But the bottom line is Lucid designed the car for the 90% factor of human height. And those of us who are too far outside of that range are not currently good candidates for this car, I hate to say. I'm just on the edge at 6'2", so I'm barely making it. I do hope Lucid can find an adjustment that accommodates those who are a bit taller soon. Whether that's a seat redesign, telescoping increase on the steering wheel, or some sort of treatment to the glass. Or maybe all three?

The problem area is right where the tint begins on the glass. Something about the transition between the untinted and tinted. But I agree. There may be some sort of chemical solution to this.

But the bottom line is Lucid designed the car for the 90% factor of human height. And those of us who are too far outside of that range are not currently good candidates for this car, I hate to say. I'm just on the edge at 6'2", so I'm barely making it. I do hope Lucid can find an adjustment that accommodates those who are a bit taller soon. Whether that's a seat redesign, telescoping increase on the steering wheel, or some sort of treatment to the glass. Or maybe all three?
I think that before releasing the Gravity, Lucid should invite a few of us Tall (and, in my case, "rotund") people out to the design center and test ingress/egress, visibility, etc.

my 2 cents 👍

I understand that the target height demographic covered the 90+% of the people that do not have this problem. There were no test drives in my area but I researched the hell out of this car and was able to sit in one at showroom before committing to the purchase. But, even if I test drove the car in the daytime I would not have noticed it and still would be where I am today. This and the extremely thin paint on my hood are my only real issues with the car.

Anyone get a response on this? I wrote Lucid to get on the "list" of people with this issue but have not had a response.

Nope. Last I heard was something along the lines of "We know its an issue but there's no solution. Try adjusting your seat."

I just picked up my car a few hours ago https://lucidowners.com/threads/grand-touring-delivery-tracker.493/post-67548

On my drive back, I experienced something I have not seen mentioned anywhere. It's something I would have never caught on a test drive.

I'm 6'4" and with the seat all the way down, my eyes line up nearly exactly with the bottom "fade in" area of the tint on the front windshield. As it started to get dark on my drive back from the delivery center, I made a comment to my wife about something possibly wrong with the windshield and that "all point lights are doubled". This was highly unpleasant and I will be reaching out to support about this. I don't know what they can do but people need to know this is a massive problem for tall people.

If I slouch as much as possible in the seat, I can bring my sight line about an inch or so lower and then the view out the front is clear and sharp.
Mid windshield is fine, looking through the tint itself is fine, but anywhere near the upper part before the tint starts is blurry.

It's basically exactly this issue that the Tesla Model X had https://www.wired.com/2016/04/tesla-windshield-ghosting-double-vision/

Here's a video of it. Watch the oncoming traffic, ignore the floating lights on the right side of the screen, those are just iPhone 12 lens flares. The camera moves up into the tint after a few seconds and there you can see the blur is gone when looking through the tint directly.
I had the same issue with my model X. I'm 6` and fortunately don't have this issue with my lucid.. or got used it it =). It has to do with the angle of the large windshield and annoying as hell. Aero dynamics is good if you are short.

On my Jaguar I-Pace I made the mistake of having the car equipped with a defroster windshield. Sounded like a great idea, but little did I know that at night it would create distracting rainbows with points of light. Never again.

egads... i'm just under 6'5" and did not get a chance to test drive - picking up my touring next week! i hope it doesn't cause as much distress as you guys are seeing! has anyone actually tried the polarized glasses approach? i realize thats not really an option at night, but seems like a good indicator of what a fix would be

On my Jaguar I-Pace I made the mistake of having the car equipped with a defroster windshield. Sounded like a great idea, but little did I know that at night it would create distracting rainbows with points of light. Never again.
Yes, I avoided that on mine because of those reports.

egads... i'm just under 6'5" and did not get a chance to test drive - picking up my touring next week! i hope it doesn't cause as much distress as you guys are seeing! has anyone actually tried the polarized glasses approach? i realize thats not really an option at night, but seems like a good indicator of what a fix would be
i am 6'3" and find myself trying to look above or below the trouble area. I would rather not have to explain why I need to wear sunglasses at night. i am hoping there is a tint or other treatment that they come up with to remedy the problem.

Back