Windshield Ding and Lesson Learned

Plg

Verified Owner
Cars
Pure - Infinite Black
I had an unfortunate event one week ago of a truck heading the opposite direction, kicking up a rock and putting a chip in the lower right of my windshield. It was out of the line of visibility and would have been very easy to repair with epoxy.

As soon as it happened, I went to the nearest city to find a Safelite Auto Glass. Apple maps took me to a storage unit, finding out they are mobile service only with the nearest brick-and-mortar shop 3 hours away. I then called Safelite and got an appointment, but the soonest they could service me was 6 weeks out - just to fix a rock chip!

Two days later it began to crack, and it is still going, so now the windshield now needs to be replaced. More calls to Safelite got me nowhere - they did not know what a Lucid is (no surprise).

Today I contacted the closest Lucid Service Center. They informed me that the car would need to be towed 3 hours to their center and they would need it for at least 24 hours. I did not realize that the front camera is attached to the windshield and would need to be calibrated. Note: I have the Pure trim with DDP - I can only imagine what the glass canopy cost would be.

Luckly, my insurance covers the full cost of replacement, but this was a completely unnecessary cost for the insurance company. It is costing me because I am now going to drive 3 hours and spend the night in the big city (I don't want it trucked over).

The moral of this story is that for $15 on Amazon you can buy quick repair kit (I purchased Rain-X Windshield Repair), put it in your car and stop a chip from becoming a crack. I will never go anywhere without that in my trunk. Lesson learned.

Would tint have prevented this chip just curious ??

IMG_8215.jpeg

You can actually buy the Rain-X kit for about 10 bucks at any Walmart. It’s in the aisle with the windshield wiper blades. I’ve used it many times and have had better results than the professional services.

Back