Windshield Glare

suchluke

Cars
AirPure,Model3,Highlander
Referral Code
AFW25Q73
I am very annoyed by the glare that is coming from the interior dash trim right below the windshield. It looks to me as a bad design. With little overhang over the silver trim it would create a shade that would not cause the glare to reflect on the windshield. Instead I constantly see a line across the windshield while driving resembling a scratch or a crack. Looking forward to your comments and/or solutions.
20231024_144341.jpg
20231024_144046.jpg

This has been discussed here numerous times. Use the term “glare” in the search box and you will see many threads. Other than covering it or coloring it, you have to learn to ignore it.

This has been discussed here numerous times. Use the term “glare” in the search box and you will see many threads. Other than covering it or coloring it, you have to learn to ignore it.
Thank you. I will try using search function before posting anything new. My point is though this probably could have been easily avoided if Lucid Motors would design slight overhead above the silver trim. It would still look good and the overhead would block the direct sunlight.

In Pennsylvania car would not pass annual state safety inspection if there is a crack in the windshield directly from the drivers point of view. I don't know the specifics but something like 12" by 12" square above steering wheel. This bad design choice almost qualifies as obstruction to the drivers view.

I will try to look for a plastic film strong enough to create a shadow for the silver trim that somehow can be attached to the dash and match the color. I will post the results if I manage to find something like that.

I am very annoyed by the glare that is coming from the interior dash trim right below the windshield. It looks to me as a bad design. With little overhang over the silver trim it would create a shade that would not cause the glare to reflect on the windshield. Instead I constantly see a line across the windshield while driving resembling a scratch or a crack. Looking forward to your comments and/or solutions.View attachment 15883View attachment 15884
Your eyes will adjust.

Thank you. I will try using search function before posting anything new. My point is though this probably could have been easily avoided if Lucid Motors would design slight overhead above the silver trim. It would still look good and the overhead would block the direct sunlight.

In Pennsylvania car would not pass annual state safety inspection if there is a crack in the windshield directly from the drivers point of view. I don't know the specifics but something like 12" by 12" square above steering wheel. This bad design choice almost qualifies as obstruction to the drivers view.

I will try to look for a plastic film strong enough to create a shadow for the silver trim that somehow can be attached to the dash and match the color. I will post the results if I manage to find something like that.
Seriously. I forgot all about this on day two. It’s next to impossible to avoid all possible reflections when designing a dash. It really becomes invisible over time.

Okay, STOP! This isn't an obstruction, it's a reflection. I live in PA too, I work at the Capitol, and this is nonsense! Yes, there's a slight reflection but in no way does it obstruct your view or anything that will cause our cars to fail inspection. Sigh! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I hope this works out for you.

I hate every time this comes up because for like 24 hours I see the reflection again and then it goes away. But I wish I could filter this issue out of this forum forever, lol
Makes two of us.

Again apologies to everyone for bringing this up. I feel like I stepped on so many toes. I wasn't aware this was already discussed so many times.

Again apologies to everyone for bringing this up. I feel like I stepped on so many toes. I wasn't aware this was already discussed so many times.
Still look for that solution that you're proposing because it will be helpful for new owners that have a big problem with it as this gets brought up every couple of months.

Still look for that solution that you're proposing because it will be helpful for new owners that have a big problem with it as this gets brought up every couple of months.
I’ve learned to live with it, but it is really annoying. Hoping @TWRAPS comes up with a solution because I think it would be a hot seller. What say you?

I wear polarized sunglasses when I drive and it almost completely eliminates it. And I bought an inexpensive pair of clear polarized glasses to wear when it's dark out. They work just as well. I'm sure you can find the link to the actual ones I bought in another thread or just search on amazon for clear polarized glasses.

Here is what I am thinking as a prototype. Use the 3M pinstripe 2-3mil tape either 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch that is dark gray mate color to match the interior. Fold the tape almost in half but leave enough residue to attach right above the silver trim piece. Hopefully it will create the overhang shade but it will still look good enough and blend in with the interior. I am currently trying to source good quality pinstripe tape.

I wear polarized sunglasses when I drive and it almost completely eliminates it. And I bought an inexpensive pair of clear polarized glasses to wear when it's dark out. They work just as well. I'm sure you can find the link to the actual ones I bought in another thread or just search on amazon for clear polarized glasses.
This is good suggestion. However, I am already wearing prescription lenses for driving.

This is good suggestion. However, I am already wearing prescription lenses for driving.
I have prescription shades I keep in the car. Life-changing. Especially with an all-glass roof, I can never get the sun shades into just the right spot, anyway. And my sunglasses render the shades superfluous. I could remove them and be just fine, no matter where the sun is.

And then the reduction of that reflection from the dash is just a bonus.

This was a top five reason why I couldn’t go forward with the Air. It bothered me right away during my test drive.

Here is what I am thinking as a prototype. Use the 3M pinstripe 2-3mil tape either 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch that is dark gray mate color to match the interior. Fold the tape almost in half but leave enough residue to attach right above the silver trim piece. Hopefully it will create the overhang shade but it will still look good enough and blend in with the interior. I am currently trying to source good quality pinstripe tape.
Please keep us posted.

Back