Crack in Rear Windshield

Bus Driver

Verified Owner
Cars
Tesla MX, MS; Air GT
Hello, all.

I had just left my car with the auto detailer and tint people when they called me. They discovered a crack on the lower right side of my rear windshield that “could have only happened from the inside”. Also the above-eye-level rear brake light enclosure fogged up as the tinters were prepping the inside of the rear windshield for tinting. That’s not normal either. I’m going to report items to Lucid Service.

I haven’t seen anyone else on the forum reporting these same problems:

Attachments

• D76AFC51-5DA2-48F7-95EB-53BAFEFC0295.jpeg
    D76AFC51-5DA2-48F7-95EB-53BAFEFC0295.jpeg
    572.1 KB · Views: 281
  • 2DCEDC7E-9D81-4A49-8B00-210DB25A12A2.jpeg
    2DCEDC7E-9D81-4A49-8B00-210DB25A12A2.jpeg
    660.1 KB · Views: 241
  • F91FE24B-6E5A-4F8E-8692-8758A2A37B2E.jpeg
    F91FE24B-6E5A-4F8E-8692-8758A2A37B2E.jpeg
    787 KB · Views: 252
This weekend I noticed a crack in my windshield that starts on the very edge of windshield on the drivers side and goes about 18 inches across the windshield. No sign of a rock chip and did not hear or see a rock hit. I first noticed it when getting into the car that was in the garage. Several people have said it might be a stress crack. Taking it to the Lucid service center this morning. Has anyone else had this issue and did the service center replace the windshield?

Hard to see but photos of a stress crack in the windshield?

Attachments

• Lucid Cracked Windshield #2.jpg
    Lucid Cracked Windshield #2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Lucid Cracked Windshield.jpg
    Lucid Cracked Windshield.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 198
  • Lucid Cracked Winshield #1.jpg
    Lucid Cracked Winshield #1.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 203

It LOOKS like a rock hit it. But I’d be curious to hear what your service technicians have to say.

Our local guy in San Diego CA took a look at my rear windshield. He couldn’t determine definitively that the starfish crack originated from the inside, but he was highly doubtful that it did. He was inclined to think that the hit happened from the outside.

I also copped to driving adjacent to and slightly behind an enormous dump truck. I did my best to pass him as fast as I could but, too late, I heard the dreaded “POP!!!” I thought the errant piece of gravel had hit my roof. Apparently it had hit my rear windshield instead. But again, I cannot know for sure, that it was that dump truck on the freeway that threw that piece of gravel back up at my car.

As things stand right now, I’m waiting for my car to be scheduled for a FULL REAR WINDSHIELD replacement. Since this was determined not to be a manufacturing defect the replacement will be at my cost, billed to my auto insurance.

Yea same as what Bus Driver said. Looks like a rock hit right at the edge causing the Crack.

John at service center also said he thought it was a rock due to the spider like defect on the glass. He said if it was a stress fracture there would not be a spider like defect but rather a simple break line. just interesting that i didn't hear or see a rock and the next morning there was a crack. small problem that will get resolved.

John at service center also said he thought it was a rock due to the spider like defect on the glass. He said if it was a stress fracture there would not be a spider like defect but rather a simple break line. just interesting that i didn't hear or see a rock and the next morning there was a crack. small problem that will get resolved.
Oh, good. So, they’re not replacing the whole windshield? I wish my rear windshield warranted just a minor repair, and not a complete replacement.

Oh, good. So, they’re not replacing the whole windshield? I wish my rear windshield warranted just a minor repair, and not a complete replacement.
No, they are replacing the full front windshield but I have to use my USAA glass coverage. Should have it replaced next week.

No, they are replacing the full front windshield but I have to use my USAA glass coverage. Should have it replaced next week.

Okay. Same as what’s happening with me. Under the circumstances, not much else to be done. Thanks for your report.

Has your windshield been replaced? I just got an estimate from Lucid Motors to have my REAR windshield replaced. Gulp! Over $3000.00! I just started a claim online with USAA. It’s evening so I’m not actually expecting anyone to call me right now, but, I’m wondering if USAA will even cover windshield repair that costly.

Has your windshield been replaced? I just got an estimate from Lucid Motors to have my REAR windshield replaced. Gulp! Over $3000.00! I just started a claim online with USAA. It’s evening so I’m not actually expecting anyone to call me right now, but, I’m wondering if USAA will even cover windshield repair that costly.
That is more expensive than the front windshield. What happened to your rear window that caused the crack? Front windshields are about $2500.

Let us know how USAA handles it... Thanks.

That is more expensive than the front windshield. What happened to your rear window that caused the crack? Front windshields are about $2500.

On the freeway one morning, a dump truck in an adjacent lane threw up a rock that hit the right lower corner of my rear windshield. Our local mobile guru, Frank Collins, warned me that it would be an extensive, expensive repair. The service rep up at Costa Mesa Service Centre just told me the same thing.

Not only does the rear windshield have to be replaced, but also all the trim pieces on the rear part of the roof and the C pillars. I even have to get brand new “AIR GT” badging on both sides.

I’m almost considering not getting it done…the crack hasn’t grown since the car took the hit over a month ago.

Attachments

• 83C9C719-6ACC-4400-B28E-16DF36000347.jpeg
    83C9C719-6ACC-4400-B28E-16DF36000347.jpeg
    572.1 KB · Views: 144
  • DB7E93C7-A900-44B9-AF81-08F38D181042.jpeg
    DB7E93C7-A900-44B9-AF81-08F38D181042.jpeg
    660.1 KB · Views: 134
  • FC97EB45-74F9-497D-BB4D-4CBE9671BE32.jpeg
    FC97EB45-74F9-497D-BB4D-4CBE9671BE32.jpeg
    923.4 KB · Views: 128

Just sent you a private message.

On the freeway one morning, a dump truck in an adjacent lane threw up a rock that hit the right lower corner of my rear windshield. Our local mobile guru, Frank Collins, warned me that it would be an extensive, expensive repair. The service rep up at Costa Mesa Service Centre just told me the same thing.

Not only does the rear windshield have to be replaced, but also all the trim pieces on the rear part of the roof and the C pillars. I even have to get brand new “AIR GT” badging on both sides.

I’m almost considering not getting it done…the crack hasn’t grown since the car took the hit over a month ago.
Good luck on the repair.

Got a sickening crack on front windshield a few days ago. Definitely a little pit there, hoping for the best. Thinking ahead I wasn't sure if only place to do replacement was lucid service, but I suppose that is the case. Any thoughts on whether they can do something to prevent crack from starting?

Got a sickening crack on front windshield a few days ago. Definitely a little pit there, hoping for the best. Thinking ahead I wasn't sure if only place to do replacement was lucid service, but I suppose that is the case. Any thoughts on whether they can do something to prevent crack from starting?
Based on my I-30 encounters with trucks in east TX (3 cracked windshields from rocks), I would think any windshield repair shop could "fill" a ding which should keep a crack from getting worse. If it gets worse before you can fill it, or if it effects your visibility you'll probably end up having to replace it. Given the special glass, various cameras, sensors, and trim, window replacement probably will need to be done by Lucid or a Lucid approved glass shop.

Had my front windshield replaced 3 weeks ago and Lucid was the only place that had a replacement. They did a great job.

Hello, all.

Also the above-eye-level rear brake light enclosure fogged up as the tinters were prepping the inside of the rear windshield for tinting. That’s not normal either.

I haven’t seen anyone else on the forum reporting these same problems:

Could it have been condensation instead of a leak due to something the tinters were doing to prep the glass?

I washed our car for the first time in cold weather (at least cold for south Florida) last week after pulling the car out of a warmer garage. For the first time I saw moisture beads inside the rear taillight housing. When I checked the next day the lens was clear. I'm guessing it was condensation.

Back