Key fob issues

danjc

Cars
lucid air touring audi a4
I have had problems with my key fobs. They work sometimes but not all the time. Had the fobs checked and alsol replaced by mobile service but still have irregular results. Often have to use cell phone to open doors. I think battery is also draining faster than should be the case. Have owned my touring edition for only 6 months.

are you using batteries with bitterant coating? If so, take some rubbing alcohol and clean them off and try that. Full description can be found at www.lucidupdates.com

I had dead key fob issue today... i have had my car for a month and today it failed to open doors, frunk or trunk.. Cell phone worked to unlock. Called service rep who told me that Lucid has a recognized battery drain issue with the Lucid key fob and are working on a fix--Could be a an update, or possibly even an updated fob. Somehow the software and remote interaction between car and fob is creates this rapid battery drain issue. Meanwhile, I changed fob battery and it works again... They need a fix on this.. I also logical layout with function buttons would be better than the amorphous black Lucid fob

I had dead key fob issue today... i have had my car for a month and today it failed to open doors, frunk or trunk.. Cell phone worked to unlock. Called service rep who told me that Lucid has a recognized battery drain issue with the Lucid key fob and are working on a fix--Could be a an update, or possibly even an updated fob. Somehow the software and remote interaction between car and fob is creates this rapid battery drain issue. Meanwhile, I changed fob battery and it works again... They need a fix on this.. I also logical layout with function buttons would be better than the amorphous black Lucid fob
Are you using battery coated with bitterant? Lucidupdates.com has a good write up on this issue.

Ditch the fob and use mobile key. One less thing onto carry, no worry about batteries.

Ditch the fob and use mobile key. One less thing onto carry, no worry about batteries.
The mobile key does not function consistently for many of us. Ours only unlocks the car IFF the app is open and has focus (not just background).
In addition, just because I walk by my car with my phone does not mean that I want the car unlocked... the phone is really (really) bad at knowing the human intentions... which is why a fob which requires human action is (for some of us at least) far superior. The same argument applies to the lack of a "start" button... just because I am opening the car, does not mean I intend to get in it and drive it... like the phone, the car is really (really) bad at knowing the human intentions (leading it to do things like fire up the cooling or heating systems when all I want to do is to get something out of the car).

The mobile key does not function consistently for many of us. Ours only unlocks the car IFF the app is open and has focus (not just background).
In addition, just because I walk by my car with my phone does not mean that I want the car unlocked... the phone is really (really) bad at knowing the human intentions... which is why a fob which requires human action is (for some of us at least) far superior. The same argument applies to the lack of a "start" button... just because I am opening the car, does not mean I intend to get in it and drive it... like the phone, the car is really (really) bad at knowing the human intentions (leading it to do things like fire up the cooling or heating systems when all I want to do is to get something out of the car).
I’ve been lucky not to have any issues with unlocking. The app does not need to be running at all (iPhone).

I’ve been lucky not to have any issues with unlocking. The app does not need to be running at all (iPhone).
Yup, and not all Androids have the problem either... but Samsung S22 line (and perhaps others) do... CC has agreed that they know of the issue and claim engineering has/is attempted to address it, but I've actually decided (due to the other issues I mentioned of "intent") that I prefer the fob currently... though even after cleaning the battery when new, the car continues to report "low fob battery" for those new & clean batteries (which is new in the last 6 months or so, I suspect one of the car updates added that capability)... It makes me wonder if there is more than the bitterant involved (e.g. are some battery makes better than others, etc... as I know that they have differences in their form factor).

Yup, and not all Androids have the problem either... but Samsung S22 line (and perhaps others) do... CC has agreed that they know of the issue and claim engineering has/is attempted to address it, but I've actually decided (due to the other issues I mentioned of "intent") that I prefer the fob currently... though even after cleaning the battery when new, the car continues to report "low fob battery" for those new & clean batteries (which is new in the last 6 months or so, I suspect one of the car updates added that capability)... It makes me wonder if there is more than the bitterant involved (e.g. are some battery makes better than others, etc... as I know that they have differences in their form factor).

Same thing with my Pixel although, when I first got my AGT in May 2022 it worked for a bit and I loved it. Then it stopped working. I don't know if it was an Android or Lucid change that made it stop working without the app being open but I do miss it.

Same thing with my Pixel although, when I first got my AGT in May 2022 it worked for a bit and I loved it. Then it stopped working. I don't know if it was an Android or Lucid change that made it stop working without the app being open but I do miss it.
It appears to me that Lucid does not have a background task running (or at least an event handler) to handle the BT coming/being in range. This is supported by the Samsung in memory apps list which has a list of apps "active in background"... I currently have 3, sometimes have only 1 or 2, but never see Lucid there. I suspect Lucid simply isn't doing something "by the book", as I have no problems with other BT devices & the phone.

My S22 has been rock solid as a mobile key. Not sure why yours isn't working properly.

My S22 has been rock solid as a mobile key. Not sure why yours isn't working properly.
When you pull up the "recently used apps", is there anything from Lucid under the "active in background" link at the top of the screen?
I've tried "locking" the app into memory with no change in characteristics.
Have you set any special app characteristics for Android (e.g. I have its battery usage "unrestricted" to make sure that it does not get stopped when running in the background).

As soon as I open the app (active in the foreground) the car recognizes the presence of the mobile key, but not if the app is not THE active foreground app.

Did you really mean to use IFF = if and only if? Math major?

When you pull up the "recently used apps", is there anything from Lucid under the "active in background" link at the top of the screen?
I've tried "locking" the app into memory with no change in characteristics.
Have you set any special app characteristics for Android (e.g. I have its battery usage "unrestricted" to make sure that it does not get stopped when running in the background).

As soon as I open the app (active in the foreground) the car recognizes the presence of the mobile key, but not if the app is not THE active foreground app.
This is what I have when I pull up recent apps

Screenshot_20231014_164157_One UI Home.jpg

Android can be pretty strange. I had the Lucid app locked before. It isn't now though, and I spent a long time the other day trying to figure out how to get it locked again. The way you did it before doesn't work now, and I couldn't find a way to do it. I may have to switch to an iPhone someday. They definitely seem more consistent.

Open the recent apps, tap the L and select keep open

Screenshot_20231014_175400_One UI Home.jpg

Open the recent apps, tap the L and select keep open

View attachment 15684
Omg I'm going to try this. Hope it works. Mobile key is flawless on my iPhone which unfortunately is not my primary phone (I use an app on it for work and only has WiFi no plan). Mobile key is also flawless on my Rivian with my Samsung z fold4 without having to do this. Let's see if this works and if it does I owe you big time. Though now I'm wondering if this'll keep the car awake all the time lol

Omg I'm going to try this. Hope it works. Mobile key is flawless on my iPhone which unfortunately is not my primary phone (I use an app on it for work and only has WiFi no plan). Mobile key is also flawless on my Rivian with my Samsung z fold4 without having to do this. Let's see if this works and if it does I owe you big time. Though now I'm wondering if this'll keep the car awake all the time lol
it does not, so no worries there

Unfortunately didn't work for me. Still have to open the app for mobile key to work. It's quicker though and it doesn't say waking up vehicle.... But still have to open the app. :(

Back