Jon Rettinger's 6 Month Review

I would think most people would prefer Google over Amazon?
As an apple user and tech enthusiast, Amazon is about the worst tech stack choice you could put in a car for me. Thankfully, I’m just waiting on CarPlay though. What’s surprising, is the choice of Alexa with an Android Automotive stack. That’s a strange way to go out of your way for a poor unproven stack.

They are. One of their staff even posted here sayinf they are. The rep I talked to last week mentioned they do read this forum and are aware of many things mentioned and many things will be in future OTA, and issues we call them about are often passed directly to software and engineering teams, which they don’t just throw in the bin but instead investigate and try to improve. He said right now they’re actively working on an update focused on software stability to reduce the need for reboots and false error messages. I’m not sure what more you can ask from a company’s response to customer issues and requests?

They’re not going to just ignore your AC, I don’t know why you think they’re not going to pay attention to it. As for panel misalignments they tolerate 1/2” gap or less, did you measure yours? My rear window has 1/2” gap under the left cantrail, with zero gap on the right, but it’s within their limits and they leak tested it so it’s fine with me.
You are very tolerant. I am just Petty/Picky 🤪.
I know the Lucid person introduced themselves here on one of the threads. I get the leak test part but they can theoretically decide what size gap is tolerable, which does not make it so. Half Inch sounds a lot to me personally. We shall see how they fixed mine tomorrow.

I am afraid over time those rubber gaskets would deteriorate especially in the summer heat of Texas and the leaks could start.

They did say they addressed the issue of my AC so we shall see. I was more stoked that they are going to replace that fan toggle button for me once available. 🤦‍♂️😀

I have always appreciated your helpful and insightful replies to my posts. Thank You 🙏

We had a 2015 Model S P90D and replaced it with a Model S Plaid last August. While much improved over the earlier model, the Plaid's software has not been glitch-free. However, the software glitches I'm still experiencing with our Lucid Air Dream after seven months are of a magnitude I've not seen in any other car I've owned over the past decade.

This morning all the audio in the car was dead -- not just the music audio, but also the seatbelt warning bells and the turn signal sounds. Of course, as with many of these glitches, it was cured when the car reset. But, frankly, I'm getting really tired of driving so often without certain features until I either get where I'm going or find it convenient to pull over and do a reset. Every time I get in the car, I feel like I'm rolling to dice to see what software features come up on this roll.

The saving grace is that the car is the best driving and riding machine I've ever owned. But this constant software crap shoot is getting really, really, really old.

I hope not bc of spaghetti software coding
1657065581765.png

The good part is that as @bunnylebowski reported a coming update is focused on squashing some bugs. Overall, I'm not sure what the big difference in our cars is, but mine has almost been bug free since 1.2.1. I have only had to reset it one time to cure a problem since then.
I am finally back home and will to put more rigorous tests of this 1.2.6. My Uber driver this morning had a BRAND NEW few days old fresh Model-Y. He took me to airport said his friend in Seattle ordered a Lucid Air silver and waited for more than a year and feeling want to give up as not believe this brand even exist. And this driver hasn’t seen a Lucid in Vegas street yet. So I showed him my AGT pictures and videos and got him excited. We often hear people talking about Efficiency debate. This driver got newest Model-Y long range, in hot Las Vegas, he is no where near his range.

This. They were one of the worse design decisions of the Model S. All 4 of my door handles failed over time and it’s still known as being a high failure point…

Cost to repair at scale is what made them pivot from this design on the model y/3.
Yep. I had a folding mirror go out on my MS too.

The mirror seems to be working for a second. Getting the 1.2.6 upgrade and it’s taking a long time. Already been 45 minutes and only 27%. Was at 24% forever.

The mirror seems to be working for a second. Getting the 1.2.6 upgrade and it’s taking a long time. Already been 45 minutes and only 27%. Was at 24% forever.
Yeah takes anywhere from 1-3hr depending on internet connection. My car is on the WiFI cuz the garage is close enough to my house so it only too 40 min for my update.

Yeah takes anywhere from 1-3hr depending on internet connection. My car is on the WiFI cuz the garage is close enough to my house so it only too 40 min for my update.
Mine took about 1:20 Minutes and should have been in my WiFi Range as well behind my garage.

Mine is technically a 2 GIG Service and my iPhone consistently shows a 900 MBPS Connection. Will check it in the garage the next time.

What’s surprising, is the choice of Alexa with an Android Automotive stack. That’s a strange way to go out of your way for a poor unproven stack.
Same kind of choice for the Air's navigation software vs using Google navigation.

Lucid has far more than a few software glitches. The ONLY reason that I have kept my DE is the range, 100 miles more than my wife's AMG EQS, and 400 more HP. The iX and AMG EQS are FAR better cars in every other aspect that matters to me. Can Lucid fix their problems, I hope so. but I think that it will be the end of this year or early next year.
Good points, but the range discussion goes away when you buy anything below a Grand Touring, as the Tesla Model S would then get the same range. That is when Lucid software better gets its act together fast. I know I won’t have patience for things that don’t work. I have not had one issue on my refresh Model S and I was expecting some. Knock on wood, nothing happens now. 🙂

Good points, but the range discussion goes away when you buy anything below a Grand Touring, as the Tesla Model S would then get the same range. That is when Lucid software better gets its act together fast. I know I won’t have patience for things that don’t work. I have not had one issue on my refresh Model S and I was expecting some. Knock on wood, nothing happens now. 🙂

I hear you, I’m getting a case of the “wobbles” myself. I’m speaking as a customer whose $1000 reservation deposit is now nonrefundable.

When I first joined the Lucid forum, I was dead set against buying anything Elon Musk-relatied ever again. Now I’m not so sure. The reports about Lucid software totally inadequate to the task, the unreliiability of the EA charging network and the higher cost, are giving me pause. Not helping Lucid’s case is Tesla’s rrelative software sophistication and their gleaming, virtually trouble-free supercharging network.

I hear you, I’m getting a case of the “wobbles” myself. I’m speaking as a customer whose $1000 reservation deposit is now nonrefundable.

When I first joined the Lucid forum, I was dead set against buying anything Elon Musk-relatied ever again. Now I’m not so sure. The reports about Lucid software totally inadequate to the task, the unreliiability of the EA charging network and the higher cost, are giving me pause. Not helping Lucid’s case is Tesla’s rrelative software sophistication and their gleaming, virtually trouble-free supercharging network.
As an owner, while not totally trouble free, the software isn’t THAT bad. There’s nothing about 1.2.6 that I can think of that makes it “totally inadequate to the task”. AC works, navigation works (hopefully navigation lady voice will be adjustable but at least now you can turn it off), trunk and frunk open and close, mirrors fold (for me sometimes the first press on the screen it doesn’t recognize so that can be annoying), door handles present themselves within 2 seconds or less, and on the extremely rare occasion they don’t, a double tap on the fob has worked for me 100% of the time. Charging works, I’ve never one time had to drive to another charger because of an issue at an EA charger, although I did have to disconnect and reconnect once during a charging session due to the tower quitting on me. I’ve used EV GO, Chargepoint and a few free municipal chargers too and have had zero issues (although 50kw EVGo and 62kw Chargepoint are slow for my preferences). And isn’t Tesla supposed to allow non-Tesla cars on supercharger network soon? As far as I’m concerned the software hiccups and limitations haven’t interfered with my love of the car.

Lucid has far more than a few software glitches. The ONLY reason that I have kept my DE is the range, 100 miles more than my wife's AMG EQS, and 400 more HP. The iX and AMG EQS are FAR better cars in every other aspect that matters to me. Can Lucid fix their problems, I hope so. but I think that it will be the end of this year or early next year.
I hate to burst your bubble, but my first stress test put my GT (21” wheels) on part with my EQS in range. I didn’t see any realistic way of it “exceeding” it. I’m also in Florida and have mainly tested highway driving on both cars between 70-80 mph. Note this is from a 100% charge.

Attachments

• AF074BA5-EF2E-4994-B176-13499A581FD0.jpeg
    AF074BA5-EF2E-4994-B176-13499A581FD0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
  • AA18AC4B-C9A9-4D84-901A-91E1D82B489D.jpeg
    AA18AC4B-C9A9-4D84-901A-91E1D82B489D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
  • 30FC7AD8-6AAE-4C73-B316-5D47609C1FDE.jpeg
    30FC7AD8-6AAE-4C73-B316-5D47609C1FDE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
I hate to burst your bubble, but my first stress test put my GT (21” wheels) on part with my EQS in range. I didn’t see any realistic way of it “exceeding” it. I’m also in Florida and have mainly tested highway driving on both cars between 70-80 mph. Note this is from a 100% charge.
We have same 21”. I think somewhere long ago I read car needs to reach certain mileage to reach efficiency. I started out as 2.7, now after 1700 miles, I’m 3.1~3.2. How far more miles I have to go to further improve efficiency, I don’t know. I know since this is 21”, I’m getting 455 miles instead of 510 miles when I extrapolate that SOC. Still, 455/112 = 4.06 miles/kWH. I only recently learned to go fully 1 pedal at high regenerative braking, so I did hit 3.4 miles/kWH occassionally. With a recent software glitch, I got phantom 85 miles added in for fun reading.
The truth is I probably getting 370~400 miles fully charge and still slightly improving. I highly doubt Tesla Model S is getting close to EPA, I have gotten some recent newer long range Tesla, their owner told me they are 80% top of that range at most.

We have same 21”. I think somewhere long ago I read car needs to reach certain mileage to reach efficiency. I started out as 2.7, now after 1700 miles, I’m 3.1~3.2. How far more miles I have to go to further improve efficiency, I don’t know. I know since this is 21”, I’m getting 455 miles instead of 510 miles when I extrapolate that SOC. Still, 455/112 = 4.06 miles/kWH. I only recently learned to go fully 1 pedal at high regenerative braking, so I did hit 3.4 miles/kWH occassionally. With a recent software glitch, I got phantom 85 miles added in for fun reading.
The truth is I probably getting 370~400 miles fully charge and still slightly improving. I highly doubt Tesla Model S is getting close to EPA, I have gotten some recent newer long range Tesla, their owner told me they are 80% top of that range at most.
Oh, there’s only 1 EV I’ve ever owned that hit EPA ratings and that was the Taycan 😅. The concept of the battery having a break in period honestly doesn’t make sense though. So unless the software is doing something funky, I don’t quite understand that.. sounds more like a wishful thinking oddity.

Oh, there’s only 1 EV I’ve ever owned that hit EPA ratings and that was the Taycan 😅. The concept of the battery having a break in period honestly doesn’t make sense though. So unless the software is doing something funky, I don’t quite understand that.. sounds more like a wishful thinking oddity.
It's not the battery that gets broken in. It's the motors which "loosen" up a bit or something to that effect.

I’m in Texas, yesterday my GT gauge outside as 107F in 5pm. With the glass dome, my wife and I atill comfortable with its AC running at 68F fan speed 8. But I usually drive rough according to my wife, on top of that, I always crank AC and occasionally massage, I also wonder how much kWh those things take along with my having fun kiddy style driving.

I think Lucid needs to have more details of energy consumption chart to tell how much BMS actually factored into those calculation when car is idle.

Oh, there’s only 1 EV I’ve ever owned that hit EPA ratings and that was the Taycan.

That's because Porsche, unlike Lucid, Tesla, and some other manufacturers, chooses to be honest and use the 2-cycle EPA test instead of the more forgiving 5-cycle test which increases rated ranges by 30%.

After seven years of owning EVs, I've learned to pay no attention to EPA ranges and instead to look at real-world testing by reputable auto reviewers. I'm a little disappointed that Lucid chose to fluff their range numbers the same way Tesla does, but I also know they knew that the comparisons of the Lucid range to Tesla ranges would be endless in the press and everywhere else. That said, the Lucid Air, when similarly driven, still gets you significantly farther down any road between charges than any other EV, no matter their EPA ratings or how they were tested.

Going from Santa Clarita to Camarillo yesterday I got an average of 4.1Kwh with an AGT on 21’s. Came back home a different way and averaged 3.6Kwh. Both directions I was doing around 70mph

Reactions: DJL
Back