Jon Rettinger's 6 Month Review

I will call them tomorrow. It does need to get addressed though as it was a complete surprise. I’d live with the occasional rare glitch of this if the car would have given a warning or some status alert that the vehicle no longer had brake hold, but there was zero alert, caught by surprise when it rolled backwards, and then I checked the menu and it was grayed out, couldn’t switch back to hold. Where I live in Providence RI is actually called College Hill, and parts are just like San Francisco! Very strong chance of rolling backwards without brake hold!
Just to clarify, the hold remained greyed out even when you had the car parked at a full stop? And only a reset restored it?

Mine rolled backwards too when in Drive, but I was thankfully right on the brake pedal. The Hold option was grayed out until I put it in park, which is why I did that when I got to the red light. Had that not worked, I definitely would have pulled over somewhere before getting on the highway to hear home.

It probably is worth mentioning to customer support so that they can log the issue and hopefully update something that prevents the backwards rolling.
Did you guys start driving before your profile completely loaded? This happened to me in that ONE instance and I've been trying to reproduce the error, but I haven't had it happen again since.

SoCal heat ain't Texas heat but the days the car is sitting in 100+ degree weather, no amount of idle cooling will do anything to make it comfortable. Definitely need to drive it and get the Air flowing over the radiators and to get it below mid 80s. I doubt there is much wrong though. When the tech came to check my AC they had fan readings and temperature readings from the vents that were within spec for the fan speeds and temp set. Order one of those temp guns and test it out yourself.
Interesting experience re. a 2 day trip between Co mountain towns in our Audi Q7: On Friday around 2PM in I-70 the sky was mostly clear and the sun directly overhead. Temp was a 91-92. The Audi as an opaque retractable fabric liner covering the sunroof; you can see the sun thru it. In order to say comfortable I had to set the Max AC, top fan speed and 66 degrees.

By coincidence re returned today at the same time, with all other conditions identical except it was completely cloudy. This time we were 100% comfortable with regular AC, #2 fan speed, 70 degree settings

This makes me lean heavily toward the aluminum roof rather than glass on the Lucid

BTW Audi has a gauge (if you can find it!) telling you what fraction of a gallon/hr the AC is consuming. Pretty slick i think

Did you guys start driving before your profile completely loaded? This happened to me in that ONE instance and I've been trying to reproduce the error, but I haven't had it happen again since.
I don't think so, but I do remember waiting an awfully long time for the door to unlock, with me just standing there holding my takeout and fumbling with my phone looking like an idiot...

SoCal heat ain't Texas heat but the days the car is sitting in 100+ degree weather, no amount of idle cooling will do anything to make it comfortable. Definitely need to drive it and get the Air flowing over the radiators and to get it below mid 80s. I doubt there is much wrong though. When the tech came to check my AC they had fan readings and temperature readings from the vents that were within spec for the fan speeds and temp set. Order one of those temp guns and test it out yourself.
Honest question here: pre-COVID, pre global warming talk, in dinosaur's time, we all saw limos and cabs idling but with really cool temp inside, no matter the geographic locations. Nowadays, seems like cars need to be driven to provide adequate cooling. So what has changed and is this a universal phenomenon across the automobile industry?
I'm not an engineer nor a physicist, and just wanting to learn something.

Honest question here: pre-COVID, pre global warming talk, in dinosaur's time, we all saw limos and cabs idling but with really cool temp inside, no matter the geographic locations. Nowadays, seems like cars need to be driven to provide adequate cooling. So what has changed and is this a universal phenomenon across the automobile industry?
I'm not an engineer nor a physicist, and just wanting to learn something.
Presumably the cabs and limos were moving prior to idling so that would have helped. But even if not, have you ever gotten in a limo after being outside? It's BETTER but not quite at the cool level you want until the limo probably starts driving around. I think it's the same for EVs, the pre-cooling will bring it down from 114 to 85, thanks @Adnillien but 85 is helluva lot more comfortable than 114, but it's not 69.

You guys now just cautioned me not to put HIGH regenerative setting saw when driving in hilly areas.
These are very, very serious issues. With all the other issues share by multiple owners, I am getting more and more concerned every day. Lucid really needs to get its act together before someone gets killed and a major lawsuit results

On the other hand in a very tricky situation, I was down ramp in reverse from my driveway, my 1-pedal movement actually causing to slightly go forward in reverse gear. Very tricky situation unlike in ICE pedal.

On the other hand in a very tricky situation, I was down ramp in reverse from my driveway, my 1-pedal movement actually causing to slightly go forward in reverse gear. Very tricky situation unlike in ICE pedal.
I have the same thing! Our short driveway out of the garage is sloped down. I exit the garage and stop in the driveway to close the garage door and check the street for traffic. The regen stops the car and it actually lurches forward just a bit after the stop. It startled me a little at first but now I have gotten used to it

I have the same thing! Our short driveway out of the garage is sloped down. I exit the garage and stop in the driveway to close the garage door and check the street for traffic. The regen stops the car and it actually lurches forward just a bit after the stop. It startled me a little at first but now I have gotten used to it
Yes, this is tricky feeling of 1-pedal driving. It’s sort of like driving manual transmission, feeling of clutch and gas pedal release ratio take time to get used to. I was startled too when it first actually moving forward slightly on reverse.

Yes, this is tricky feeling of 1-pedal driving. It’s sort of like driving manual transmission, feeling of clutch and gas pedal release ratio take time to get used to. I was startled too when it first actually moving forward slightly on reverse.
it seems to be unique to the Lucid. My Leaf has never done that.

it seems to be unique to the Lucid. My Leaf has never done that.
I think it’s in High Regenerative brake mode does that. Standard one, I didn’t get that feeling.

I think it’s in High Regenerative brake mode does that. Standard one, I didn’t get that feeling.
Probably. But again unique to Lucid. I keep the Leaf in high regen as well. Though the Lucid’s high regen is very strong, stronger than I have experienced with my Leaf and might be why.

Sorry man. Have you tried the temperature hold feature when you exit the car? It’s the circle/thermometer icon at the top in the climate menu. It will hold the temp for 45 min while you’re not in the car, make cooling when you get back in more effective. Report back your results with the AC test between your ICE car and this one, I’m curious, does sounds like something is still definitely wrong because my car cools adequately, it I also haven’t been in heat higher than 91F since I got my car in April.

Also the car should never ask for a PIN when you get in, it’s like it’s stuck in valet mode. Is your fob on you at all times?

And I did jinx myself when I said I hadn’t had many software problems. Today I completely lost Brake Hold and car got stuck in roll mode, which came as quite a surprise when the car started to roll backwards on a hill! A reboot cured it, but that’s something in my opinion that needs to be fixed ASAP in whatever the next software update comes out because that could cause a collision if the car gets stuck in roll mode when you’re expecting brake hold/true one pedal driving!
Interesting and yes definitely worrisome if the brake hold fails. Just when I started loving the one pedal driving and turned on the stronger regen mode. I have seen an issue even on standard regen when-the car would roll but only in drive. Will need to watch while exiting the garage and be sure to give myself a bit more room before I press the button to close the garage.
Minor annoyance where you need to turn off the camera to get to the Homelink OR am I missing something,

@bunnylebowski thanks I found out today that I needed to turn that keep cool mode on before exiting the car and it seems one needs to do that every time. It turns itself off I believe once you return. Yeah I need them to test the AC/Fan again because my wife was again mad that the AC was barely keeping up.

Did not get the Cars Comparison done today. Will definitely test and report soon.

Oh I noticed that the modes other than smooth have this issue so be sure to also pay attention to that. I noticed that when I first put it in swift mode and took my foot off the accelerator, the car kept rolling forward until I stepped on the brake vs Smooth where it stops completely. Therefore try smooth when you are exiting entering the garage or on hills.

Oh I noticed that the modes other than smooth have this issue so be sure to also pay attention to that. I noticed that when I first put it in swift mode and took my foot off the accelerator, the car kept rolling forward until I stepped on the brake vs Smooth where it stops completely. Therefore try smooth when you are exiting entering the garage or on hills.
From what I remember, the different drive modes can be set to different regen? That might have been your issue. Also definitely check that you have hold enabled instead of creep.

Probably. But again unique to Lucid. I keep the Leaf in high regen as well. Though the Lucid’s high regen is very strong, stronger than I have experienced with my Leaf and might be why.
Yes, ‘high’ regen is surprising very strong. From 100mph to 60mph, it’s almost more effective than ICE car brake. I wasn’t sure if that’s bc 21” tires, or strong regen, or combo. The performance of acceleration and deceleration is tremendous. I’m happy now hardly apply any brake pedal after some time getting used to this high regen adjustment. At first, I’m very concern of the venom speed to preemptively apply brake to be cautious. But not anymore. Even at 120mph, I am confident of control. But when I switch back to my ICE car, it becomes a downer. AGT is actually 1000+ lbs heavier than my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon SUV. It is so fast and so ridiculous stable, it’s not really a car at 100+ mph, it feels like hovercraft —- flying and gripping at same time.

From what I remember, the different drive modes can be set to different regen? That might have been your issue. Also definitely check that you have hold enabled instead of creep.
I definitely dont have creep set but will check setting for diff modes. Like i said no issue in swift but definitely more creep in swift.

Yes, ‘high’ regen is surprising very strong. From 100mph to 60mph, it’s almost more effective than ICE car brake. I wasn’t sure if that’s bc 21” tires, or strong regen, or combo. The performance of acceleration and deceleration is tremendous. I’m happy now hardly apply any brake pedal after some time getting used to this high regen adjustment. At first, I’m very concern of the venom speed to preemptively apply brake to be cautious. But not anymore. Even at 120mph, I am confident of control. But when I switch back to my ICE car, it becomes a downer. AGT is actually 1000+ lbs heavier than my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon SUV. It is so fast and so ridiculous stable, it’s not really a car at 100+ mph, it feels like hovercraft —- flying and gripping at same time.
I have yet to drive it at 100 mph. Perhaps this coming Sunday. Need that toll tag 😜

I have yet to drive it at 100 mph. Perhaps this coming Sunday. Need that toll tag 😜
Dallas will be hard with heavy traffic. Try weekend early morning Toll way to airport. And don’t get ticket. 😂

Back