FEATURE Introducing RangeXChange V2V charging for Lucid

If my wife and I need to take both of our cars somewhere for some reason (kids, moving, who knows), it is nice to know that my much-longer-range Air DE can juice up her shorter-range Ioniq 5 to get us both to the next charger if needed.

The other use case is helping someone get just enough charge to get to a charger; I'm certain there will be times when I see a dead EV near, but not at a charging station, lol.

I saw the latter once, in the Harris Ranch parking lot. That was as near as you could get without actually being at a charger. I helped push the car about 30 feet or so, and a 30 second v2v charge would have prevented it from getting pushed into the charger (not the space but the charger itself). Aside from that, it's rare enough that I might never see it.

On the other hand, if my son ever gets an EV, I can see this coming in handy. And it's better than having to stop at a gas station with a red can first.

At the price, if you get the charging bundle with it, it's worth it for that alone.

All information currently posted is Lucid to Tesla and etc charging. Can it be reversed say Tesla to lucid for charging.?
No because Tesla doesn't have that capability. Only the Cybertruck can do it currently.

Can someone help me understand the usecase for V2V charging? Is there any benefit other than basically being able to jump start other EVs? I'd like to understand how people are using this technology for their own benefit. I would think if i have two EVs at home, i could just use the home charger to charge whichever car is low.

I thought of one more potential benefit, as well as a good reason to avoid it. My Model S has free Supercharging, but if it didn't, I could charge the Lucid at EA for free, come home, charge the Tesla for free and charge the Lucid twice as often. But back when I got the Model S, I did some basic calculations and found that the depreciation based on miles to and from the supercharger alone would be more than the amount saved in electricity compared to charging at home. These days I have solar so there's even less of a reason. Back then, I think that the nearest Supercharger was about 12 miles away. The Lucid has more range but I'd need to charge twice as often if half the charge goes to another car, so I'd expect that most people would be far worse off using it to try to save money on charging another car.

The depreciation aspect might cancel out if you plan to keep your car for a decade or more, but then there's the Walmart greeter calculation. I figured that if I got a job as a Walmart greeter, and used the earnings toward my electric bill, I'd spend less time greeting people at Walmart than I'd spend sitting in my car at a public charger. So if you consider the value of your time, which is presumably enough that you wouldn't go out and get such a job for the extra income, then it's worth charging at home vs "free" charging whether we are talking about RangeXchange or simply charging the Lucid alone. I have nothing against Walmart greeters, but wanted to compare "waiting around" situations.

So that leaves altruism and emergencies as the big reasons, as well as being able to get the entire charging bundle at a good price, assuming that your current one isn't capable and that Lucid will send the bundle for that price. It was a nice surprise starting out with these as justifications and getting the bundle as a result.

For the price of $125 plus tax you get full new mobile charger with two new plugs plus rangeexchange adapter. I think this price is just what lucid paying vendor to produce it. Compared to Tesla where they charge $45 for just nema 14-50 adapter, its really a steal.

It's really about $135 plus tax. Perhaps it's possible to go somewhere and pick it up in person, but when the reality is that your credit card is going to be billed $135 plus tax, calling it $125 and then raising it to $135 by calling it shipping is disingenuous. Yes, they have to pay somebody to ship it...and to manufacture it, and to pack it and to ship it to their warehouse and to print the instructions, etc. Saying that any one of those isn't part of the price ignores that all of these go on the books as business expenses, making $125 essentially a lie.

On the other hand, leaving off that you might get a bargain by getting the entire kit means that you are getting a lot for your money. Still, I think that most companies are moving past playing games by splitting a price in two and advertising only part of it.

It's really about $135 plus tax. Perhaps it's possible to go somewhere and pick it up in person, but when the reality is that your credit card is going to be billed $135 plus tax, calling it $125 and then raising it to $135 by calling it shipping is disingenuous. Yes, they have to pay somebody to ship it...and to manufacture it, and to pack it and to ship it to their warehouse and to print the instructions, etc. Saying that any one of those isn't part of the price ignores that all of these go on the books as business expenses, making $125 essentially a lie.

On the other hand, leaving off that you might get a bargain by getting the entire kit means that you are getting a lot for your money. Still, I think that most companies are moving past playing games by splitting a price in two and advertising only part of it.
I'm not sure I even understand the point of this post? Aren't the majority of prices quoted anywhere with sales in the US before tax and shipping? Are you insinuating that somehow Lucid is the only company who does this?

The depreciation aspect might cancel out if you plan to keep your car for a decade or more, but then there's the Walmart greeter calculation. I figured that if I got a job as a Walmart greeter, and used the earnings toward my electric bill, I'd spend less time greeting people at Walmart than I'd spend sitting in my car at a public charger. So if you consider the value of your time, which is presumably enough that you wouldn't go out and get such a job for the extra income, then it's worth charging at home vs "free" charging whether we are talking about RangeXchange or simply charging the Lucid alone. I have nothing against Walmart greeters, but wanted to compare "waiting around" situations.

So that leaves altruism and emergencies as the big reasons, as well as being able to get the entire charging bundle at a good price, assuming that your current one isn't capable and that Lucid will send the bundle for that price. It was a nice surprise starting out with these as justifications and getting the bundle as a result.
Does Walmart have greeters? ;)

Does Walmart have greeters? ;)
They have been replaced by the receipt police when you check out. I VERY RARELY go to WM (except to charge) and they verify receipts now due to shrinkage at self checkout mostly.

Are you insinuating that somehow Lucid is the only company who does this?
I think his point is that very few companies charge extra for shipping these days. Shoppers tend to spend more money when shipping is "free". It is of course the same thing if Lucid charged $135+ free shipping or $125 + $10 for shipping.

thought of one more potential benefit, as well as a good reason to avoid it. My Model S has free Supercharging, but if it didn't, I could charge the Lucid at EA for free, come home, charge the Tesla for free and charge the Lucid twice as often. But back when I got the Model S, I did some basic calculations and found that the depreciation based on miles to and from the supercharger alone would be more than the amount saved in electricity compared to charging at home. These days I have solar so there's even less of a reason. Back then, I think that the nearest Supercharger was about 12 miles away.
This is kind of genius. My wife drives a ton of miles daily in her rivian and doesn't have free charging, i suppose i could save some money if i charged up for free at work or at EA and then dispensed part of it every couple days to my wife's rivian. It can't be very efficient, but I don't mind the inconvenience for free charging 😂 Too bad the charger is sold out, so i can't get one even if i wanted.

I think his point is that very few companies charge extra for shipping these days. Shoppers tend to spend more money when shipping is "free". It is of course the same thing if Lucid charged $135+ free shipping or $125 + $10 for shipping.
Seems silly, off the top of my head the only companies that dont charge for shipping are Walmart, Amazon, and Target. Tons of other companies charge for shipping, especially on low volume sales like a Lucid...

Thanks for revitalizing this thread. Looks like it's back in stock people!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 11.48.42 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 11.48.42 AM.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 42
Yes. I agree. Lucid could have charged $150 (still a bargain) and "free" shipping. Anyway, I have it only for emergency use such as power outage when I can use my other EV to power the house and go charge Lucid and come back to keep the power going or in case we go out with both EVs and the other one needs a bit more range in emergency.

Seems silly, off the top of my head the only companies that dont charge for shipping are Walmart, Amazon, and Target. Tons of other companies charge for shipping, especially on low volume sales like a Lucid...
Walmart, Amazon and Target constitute a large portion of eCommerce, but they aren't the only ones. eBay has been discouraging shipping charges for years. I can't go through every order I've placed everywhere, but I know that Tesla doesn't add shipping charges. I ordered some coffee online a few days ago, and there would have been a shipping charge in theory for a small order, but in practice, none. It's one thing if a buyer is likely to add a bunch of items to a shopping cart. It's another when a person is expected to order a single item, and everybody who buys it is going to end up with the same total price. It's even worse in the case of infomercials where there's literally one choice being offered and 100% of people are going to pay the combined price. Regardless, it's cutting off an arbitrary part of the price and adding it back in, and it typically has nothing to do with the actual cost of shipping.

If a store wants to start off with merchandise costs and calculate a total shipping cost based on cumulative weight, when a customer could alternatively pick up the merchandise, then arguably they could justify it on the grounds that it's not cost effective to sell and ship a $1 item unless the shipping charge is calculated separately. But is Lucid expecting people to check whether ordering floor mats at the same time would have a combined shipping charge that's lower? This was shipped in the box that the bundle came in, and it's unlikely that Lucid would be combining order items in a box anyway, so the concept of cumulative shipping probably wouldn't apply here.

Back