• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

FEATURE Introducing RangeXChange V2V charging for Lucid

I think his point is that very few companies charge extra for shipping these days. Shoppers tend to spend more money when shipping is "free". It is of course the same thing if Lucid charged $135+ free shipping or $125 + $10 for shipping.
IMHO ... $10 is actually pretty reasonable for the size / weight of the box

Completely agree. If you've ever tried shipping things regularly, it's pretty damn expensive.

Giving away free shipping works for companies at Amazon's scale, or companies who ship uniform size and weight items, like T-Shirts. Where you can easily calculate your average costs. But given the massive size and weight differences in Lucid's store, it wouldn't make as much sense for them to offer free shipping.

In my opinion it's an absolute bargain for what you are getting, even with the shipping price. But would it be more of a bargain if they lowered the price to $99.99 and then added in $34.99 for shipping? It's a heavy box. They can split the price any way they want, but if they are going to sell it for $135, which is a great price, why not just say so?

In my opinion it's an absolute bargain for what you are getting, even with the shipping price. But would it be more of a bargain if they lowered the price to $99.99 and then added in $34.99 for shipping? It's a heavy box. They can split the price any way they want, but if they are going to sell it for $135, which is a great price, why not just say so?
Because that shipping cost might vary over time. And they don't want to make it look like the price is shifting, when it's really the shipping that's shifting?

Also, shipping charges can vary by region as well. And if they don't know which zip code they are shipping to, they can't show that price up front.

Mine was free plus $135 shipping.

Completely agree. If you've ever tried shipping things regularly, it's pretty damn expensive.

Giving away free shipping works for companies at Amazon's scale, or companies who ship uniform size and weight items, like T-Shirts. Where you can easily calculate your average costs. But given the massive size and weight differences in Lucid's store, it wouldn't make as much sense for them to offer free shipping.

Nothing is free. Telling you that it costs $135 doesn't mean that they get less money. And it's far easier to calculate your average cost when the charging bundle is already boxed up and they plan to ship out that box. It's possible that if you order a t-shirt, they'd cut open the box for this and try to squeeze in the t-shirt. But I checked to see what it would cost to buy a charging station alone, and a t-shirt alone. If I order both, the shipping charge comes out to the what the combined shipping charges would be if I ordered each individually. If they merely showed a single price for each, it wouldn't affect how much money they made a bit.

Mine was free plus $135 shipping.

Companies that do that sort of thing are really using a backhanded way of saying that there's a restocking fee. Rather than admitting it, they subtract the restocking fee from the price, tell you that the difference is the price and the minuend is the shipping cost. Then if you return it, you don't get the restocking fee back, but they are pretending to give a full refund. If they make it free plus $135 shipping, that essentially means no returns.

Companies that do that sort of thing are really using a backhanded way of saying that there's a restocking fee. Rather than admitting it, they subtract the restocking fee from the price, tell you that the difference is the price and the minuend is the shipping cost. Then if you return it, you don't get the restocking fee back, but they are pretending to give a full refund. If they make it free plus $135 shipping, that essentially means no returns.
It was a joke.

Because that shipping cost might vary over time. And they don't want to make it look like the price is shifting, when it's really the shipping that's shifting?

Also, shipping charges can vary by region as well. And if they don't know which zip code they are shipping to, they can't show that price up front.
The same is true with car prices, and we all know that those shift. We also expect each region to have its own web pages for the cars and store anyway. The merchandise will differ by region, especially for items such as charging equipment that won't be the same from region to region.

The same is true with car prices, and we all know that those shift. We also expect each region to have its own web pages for the cars and store anyway. The merchandise will differ by region, especially for items such as charging equipment that won't be the same from region to region.
Okay. You win, I guess?

What I know is that I order stuff from small vendors all the time. 1) Almost none of them offer free shipping. and 2) They don't calculate shipping costs until you put in your address.

Are these solvable problems with enough money and time? Sure. But if Lucid made this a priority, I'd seriously question their priorities.

I’m laughing. People here have paid anywhere from $75,000-$150,000 or more on the car and we have multiple pages on a $10 shipping charge for a device that’s a bargain to begin with. OY!

It's an EV forum! You can expect a bunch of tech bros that work a few hours a day to debate minute unimportant things :). I'll pile on as well...
Giving away free shipping works for companies at Amazon's scale, or companies who ship uniform size and weight items, like T-Shirts.

Rivian charges free shipping from small items like tshirts to huge items like spare wheels and tonneau covers. They are low volume as well
1702934025312.png

It's an EV forum! You can expect a bunch of tech bros that work a few hours a day to debate minute unimportant details :). I'll pile on as well...

Yeah, this is sort of what we're trying not to be?

Rivian charges free shipping from small items like tshirts to huge items like spare wheels and tonneau covers. They are low volume as well
View attachment 17090

Rivian also has what, ten times the employees Lucid has? So they've probably had a bit more time and people working on their web store.

what's there to talk about, it's out of stock 😢

I got mine yesterday. (Actually, it came in several days ago, but I was out of town.)

I was impressed with the packaging. I wasn't sure it would fit in the same bag that goes into that little space in the trunk. The web site didn't really give an idea of the scale of the thing.

Also, I'll reiterate what folks have said before here: It was unexpected and nice to get a whole new charging rig, rather than just the adapter for the other car. I assume they will eventually stop doing that as newer cars come with a charger that already works with the adapter. We'll likely see a price change at that point also.

I assume they will eventually stop doing that as newer cars come with a charger that already works with the adapter. We'll likely see a price change at that point also.
They could probably just sell the adapter for $135 and no one would bat an eye.

They could probably just sell the adapter for $135 and no one would bat an eye.
That was me already. Nice surprise, but I gladly paid $135 for the chance to pay it forward.

I’m laughing. People here have paid anywhere from $75,000-$150,000 or more on the car and we have multiple pages on a $10 shipping charge for a device that’s a bargain to begin with. OY!
The issue isn't paying an extra $10. This cascaded from a simple comment letting people know that the price is $10 higher. Nobody would object to them making it $10 more expensive and not adding a shipping charge, meaning that the price would be the same.

Back