FEATURE Introducing RangeXChange V2V charging for Lucid

It looks like the Lucid store is running late:

Dear Valued Customers,

If you are receiving this message, you have recently ordered a Lucid RangeXchange Adapter for your Lucid Air. We appreciate your business and are excited about getting this technology out to you. Unfortunately, there has been a slight push in our supply plan and we now expect shipments to begin in the early part of December.

Our team is actively working to resolve this, and we appreciate your understanding and patience.

Please reach out to our Customer Care team if there are any questions, and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Lucid Motors
Ecommerce Operations

[email protected]
Yes, I just posted this a few seconds after you (and deleted it). Early December is not too far away.

It looks like the Lucid store is running late:

Dear Valued Customers,

If you are receiving this message, you have recently ordered a Lucid RangeXchange Adapter for your Lucid Air. We appreciate your business and are excited about getting this technology out to you. Unfortunately, there has been a slight push in our supply plan and we now expect shipments to begin in the early part of December.

Our team is actively working to resolve this, and we appreciate your understanding and patience.

Please reach out to our Customer Care team if there are any questions, and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Lucid Motors
Ecommerce Operations

[email protected]
This also requires a future SW update to the vehicle as well to enable the function. Looking forward to the early adopter's feedback!!

It looks like in order to be a good Samaritan, I have to go buy J1772-NACS combo adapter to save some Tesla souls.

$20 not too bad
Toplight J1772 to Tesla Adapter, 80AMP/250V AC Tesla Model J1772 Charger Adapter with Fast Charging, Tesla Model 3/Y/X/S Adapter IP54 Safety Certification https://a.co/d/j0iQako

It looks like in order to be a good Samaritan, I have to go buy J1772-NACS combo adapter to save some Tesla souls.

$20 not too bad
Toplight J1772 to Tesla Adapter, 80AMP/250V AC Tesla Model J1772 Charger Adapter with Fast Charging, Tesla Model 3/Y/X/S Adapter IP54 Safety Certification https://a.co/d/j0iQako
Tesla's come with those I believe (at least they did when I purchased in 2017) . Somehow I managed to end up with an extra one, left one in my Model S when I sold it.

Tesla's come with those I believe (at least they did when I purchased in 2017) . Somehow I managed to end up with an extra one, left one in my Model S when I sold it.

I have a friend came visit me last month with Model-Y, so happy I have EVSE at home. Too bad he didn’t have J1772 adapter on his car, so he couldn’t use my Wallbox.

These days they don't even come with a UMC (charging cable and adapters) so I wouldn't be surprised if that's left out too. Their reasoning is ostensibly that a person might want to get a wall connector, and since they don't know which one a customer wants, they don't want to burden people with something that they might not need. When they did come with one, more recently than yours, they left out the 14-50 plug, because how would they know what outlet you might have aside from a standard wall outlet? And the UMC that they did provide, and now make people buy, is only 32A. Their reasoning was that the base model of the Model 3 (which might not exist) has a 32A charger, and the others have one that's 48A so why make a 40A charger when if you want something faster, you'd buy a wall connector?

On the other hand, if you do want a spare charging cable for a Lucid so you can keep one plugged in at home and one in the car for a backup, getting the Tesla one with a third party CCS adapter might be a good deal. It comes with cables for 14-50 and 5-15 for $230, and it's hard to find one with both from other vendors.

Care of Mr Eric Bach

FB_IMG_1700904495620.jpg
FB_IMG_1700904502963.jpg

2 Dream Edition next to each other, what is the odds?

V2V charging is a cool feature but practically very unlikely to be used. V2G or V2H would be a much bigger deal. I hope lucid allocates its resources more soundly.
Or V2L, for emergencies that actually happen. An EV out of charge is even more rare than ICE running out of gas, statistically!

Or V2L, for emergencies that actually happen. An EV out of charge is even more rare than ICE running out of gas, statistically!
I saw it happen once in 2014 at Harris Ranch. Another driver shouted out "next time, get a hybrid!" That driver did manage to make it all the way to the parking lot, and most likely knew that he was doing the EV equivalent of running on fumes. These days, a Tesla would have told him to slow down on the freeway, and what speed to drive to avoid that. I don't know what a Lucid would do in similar circumstances, but it's far less likely to come up. At the time, there were no other charging stations in the area.

More importantly, I can't imagine rescuing a stranded EV driver, but I can imagine helping one who knows that there's a charging station at a certain distance and wants to make sure to get there with a comfortable margin on top of what it takes to get there. Or if multiple people are on road trips in different cars, and one car has a lot less range, it could help strategically.

No, but it does have a hefty 12V outlet, where you are free to attach a power converter. The 12V trunk outlet is serviced by a 20A fuse at MB10 in the under glovebox fuse box:

View attachment 16227
Is there a specific inverter that won't work for the Lucid's 12v in the back? For example, would something like THIS work? Not sure about drawing too much power and hurting something...

Is there a specific inverter that won't work for the Lucid's 12v in the back? For example, would something like THIS work? Not sure about drawing too much power and hurting something...
The inverter you specified can output a maximum of 300W. Lucid's 12V@20A would max out at 240W. If you keep your loads well below 240W, the item you described would work. They have a 40A fuse on that inverter, but the 20A fuse on the Lucid would blow first.

Back