FEATURE Introducing RangeXChange V2V charging for Lucid

Once the cable arrives, I'll be tempted to try a combination of this and this ... worst case I send 'em back. If it works it'll carry them both in the car.
Yikes! I would not use that second device (AC voltage converter) with any electronic device. It would be fine for a blow dryer, space heater, or other simple electromechanical device.
Most modern electronics can handle 90-264V and do not need a voltage adapter.

With 4 cents per kWhr super off-peak, I will not be using free EA from my AGT to charge my Gravity. Not worth the time.

For the price I think its a smart thing to have just in case so I ordered one. While I may never need it I also carry a 12V jump pack just in case someone is stranded and I can help them..

Trying to think of a scenario where I could actually use this. Maybe to help out a Tesla or other EV owner if they're in some dire need for a charge.

We have a Tesla in the household but I can't imagine ever needing to use this to charge that between home charging and the SC's around me.

It's rather inexpensive so could be a "good to have" item as part of an emergency kit I guess to help other folks out.

Trying to think of a scenario where I could actually use this. Maybe to help out a Tesla or other EV owner if they're in some dire need for a charge.

We have a Tesla in the household but I can't imagine ever needing to use this to charge that between home charging and the SC's around me.

It's rather inexpensive so could be a "good to have" item as part of an emergency kit I guess to help other folks out.
Today you. Tomorrow me. That's all this is for.

Reading this thread costs me $144.64.
Here's SDGE:
Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 2.37.30 PM.png

from an article in Sept.

How can I use bidirectional charging?​

Depending on the setup, the power stored in the battery can be used in different ways:

Vehicle to home (V2H): Also known as vehicle to building (V2B),this functionality allows your car to serve as a backup generator during a power outage. A fully charged EV battery holds about 60 kilowatt-hours of electricity on average, enough to power a home for two days.

With smart-charging technology, you could also use V2H tech to lower your energy bill by charging your EV during off-peak hours and powering your home when prices are higher.

Vehicle to grid (V2G): A vehicle with V2G charging capability can send electricity back to the utility network, just like homeowners with solar power can do. Not only are you helping stabilize the grid, you get paid for the energy you provide.

An EV owner with a V2G charger could save up to $150 per year on their electricity bill, according to data from the University of Rochester.

Vehicle to load (V2L): The most basic type of bidirectional charging. Typically, an adapter is all you need for your car to power camping equipment, power tools, home appliances or other standalone devices.

Vehicle to vehicle (V2V): Another form of V2L, this allows EV owners to provide power to an EV that's run out -- similar to giving a "jump" to a gas-powered automobile.

Vehicle to everything (V2X): An umbrella term that encompasses all bidirectional charging options.

Which EVs offer bidirectional charging?​

Only a limited number of EVs sold in the US offer any form of bidirectional charging. They include:

• Ford F-150 Lightning (V2G)
  • Genesis GV60 (V2L)
  • Hyundai Ioniq 5 (V2L)
  • Hyundai Ioniq 6 (V2L)
  • Kia EV6 (V2L)
  • Kia Niro (V2L)
  • Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (V2L)
  • Nissan Leaf (V2H, V2G)
  • VW ID.4 (V2H)

When will bidirectional charging become standard?​

While bidirectional functionality is by no means universal, automakers are swiftly adding it to their lineups to meet demand and, potentially, get ahead of regulators.

BMW, Volvo and Porsche are all reportedly testing functionality. Tesla has said all of its models will support bidirectionality by 2025.

General Motors will make V2H charging a default feature starting with the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV RST. The GM rollout will continue with the 2024 GMC Sierra EV Denali Edition 1, 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV, the 2024 Chevrolet Equinox EV, the 2024 Cadillac Lyriq and the 2025 Escalade IQ, Cadillac's first full-size all-electric SUV.
Hope Lucid provides vehicle to home and vehicle to grid soon.

Yep. SCE TOU rates are also high and seem to increase every few months. Was one of the driving factors for me to get solar. I’m just reaching the time of year where solar generation is only meeting needs of the house demand. Wish I could’ve gotten more panels but the electric company can limit how much you can have on your home.

I'm going fill up the tank at the home charger, then hang around busy chargers where people are waiting in line, and offer then a "taste"... first hit is free...

looks like we'll be able to charge other cars real soon (upcoming ota)? looks like RangeExchange adapter should be available this month - not sure i understand the other end of it though? looks like it may plug into the lucid adapter? cool stuff

I merged the previous post in with this existing thread from yesterday.

Search is your friend, folks.

While I may rarely, if ever, end up using it, I did place an order. Very cool feature indeed!

Cool feature indeed, but how many of us Lucid owners will actually be using it? I would pay for everyday features like better implementation of HomeLink (keep the button on top instead of being blocked by the cameras) or a Lucid version of sentry mode. Tesla has a great supercharging network. To me it would be great if Tesla had this feature instead of Lucid as there are a lot of Teslas out there to help charge other EVs.

Back