FEATURE Introducing RangeXChange V2V charging for Lucid

I have ordered the cable 😁
IMG_8747.jpeg

Shouldn't J1772 to any plug adapter work technically to allow having different type of outlets? For example J1772 to NEMA 5-15/20 below and have a working outlet when camping. Also J1772 to NEMA 14-30 and you can run a dryer from Lucid. This could be cool. HAHAHAHA. I wonder if wounderbox and charging cable have logic to adjust voltage and or amperage based on the connected consumer. Any brave souls to try it out?

1699555192605.png

Shouldn't J1772 to any plug adapter work technically to allow having different type of outlets? For example J1772 to NEMA 5-15/20 below and have a working outlet when camping. Also J1772 to NEMA 14-30 and you can run a dryer from Lucid. This could be cool. HAHAHAHA. I wonder if wounderbox and charging cable have logic to adjust voltage and or amperage based on the connected consumer. Any brave souls to try it out?
Hmm, good question. I don't think the car will know it's connected to a 5-15 receptacle, so it might place 240V AC onto it if you tried this.

View attachment 16193
Here is one from Lectron.

This is probably a good time to remind folks that just because the plug fits, that doesn’t mean it “works.”

Stringing all manner of adapters together might technically get a connection going, but you can fry something pretty quick if you don’t know what you are doing.

Bi-directional charging isn't something new. This feature was announced since day 1 of the Lucid Air launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
from an article in Sept.

How can I use bidirectional charging?​

Depending on the setup, the power stored in the battery can be used in different ways:

Vehicle to home (V2H): Also known as vehicle to building (V2B),this functionality allows your car to serve as a backup generator during a power outage. A fully charged EV battery holds about 60 kilowatt-hours of electricity on average, enough to power a home for two days.

With smart-charging technology, you could also use V2H tech to lower your energy bill by charging your EV during off-peak hours and powering your home when prices are higher.

Vehicle to grid (V2G): A vehicle with V2G charging capability can send electricity back to the utility network, just like homeowners with solar power can do. Not only are you helping stabilize the grid, you get paid for the energy you provide.

An EV owner with a V2G charger could save up to $150 per year on their electricity bill, according to data from the University of Rochester.

Vehicle to load (V2L): The most basic type of bidirectional charging. Typically, an adapter is all you need for your car to power camping equipment, power tools, home appliances or other standalone devices.

Vehicle to vehicle (V2V): Another form of V2L, this allows EV owners to provide power to an EV that's run out -- similar to giving a "jump" to a gas-powered automobile.

Vehicle to everything (V2X): An umbrella term that encompasses all bidirectional charging options.

Which EVs offer bidirectional charging?​

Only a limited number of EVs sold in the US offer any form of bidirectional charging. They include:

• Ford F-150 Lightning (V2G)
  • Genesis GV60 (V2L)
  • Hyundai Ioniq 5 (V2L)
  • Hyundai Ioniq 6 (V2L)
  • Kia EV6 (V2L)
  • Kia Niro (V2L)
  • Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (V2L)
  • Nissan Leaf (V2H, V2G)
  • VW ID.4 (V2H)

When will bidirectional charging become standard?​

While bidirectional functionality is by no means universal, automakers are swiftly adding it to their lineups to meet demand and, potentially, get ahead of regulators.

BMW, Volvo and Porsche are all reportedly testing functionality. Tesla has said all of its models will support bidirectionality by 2025.

General Motors will make V2H charging a default feature starting with the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV RST. The GM rollout will continue with the 2024 GMC Sierra EV Denali Edition 1, 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV, the 2024 Chevrolet Equinox EV, the 2024 Cadillac Lyriq and the 2025 Escalade IQ, Cadillac's first full-size all-electric SUV.

If your car has a V2L function, that should work because it doesn't need a proper handshake signal from your toaster.

A proper J-1772 would implement a handshake signal. Plugging in a dumb device like a toaster won't work until someone can program the toaster to do an appropriate J-1772 signal.

1699557736073.png

ok now I will really like this device! :)

V2V charging is a cool feature but practically very unlikely to be used. V2G or V2H would be a much bigger deal. I hope lucid allocates its resources more soundly.
You need to start somewhere. I think V2G or V2H will come later. Imagine implementing the V2G and all lucid owners going to charge at EA stations as part of the free unlimited charging then going back home and selling it back to the grid through V2G.

I would rather see V2X. I can't think of a realistic V2V scenario....? Been driving an EV for 13 years now. Never had a case of needing V2V.

V2V charging is a cool feature but practically very unlikely to be used. V2G or V2H would be a much bigger deal. I hope lucid allocates its resources more soundly.
I will use it a lot. No kidding.

I would rather see V2X. I can't think of a realistic V2V scenario....? Been driving an EV for 13 years now. Never had a case of needing V2V.
Charge my Lucid for free at EA, come home and feed my Jag.

It's not that it's not happening, but V2H and V2G needs to cut through a lot of red tape to happen. Every single utility in the country needs to get in step with it and if you haven't been paying attention, they do not want you to not use their electricity. It's an uphill battle that I'm not quite sure people grasp the monumental task to overcome.

Once the cable arrives, I'll be tempted to try a combination of this and this ... worst case I send 'em back. If it works it'll carry them both in the car.

I think of it like having jumper cables in my car. I hope I never need to use it, but I’m glad it’s there.

Once the cable arrives, I'll be tempted to try a combination of this and this ... worst case I send 'em back. If it works it'll carry them both in the car.
That first adapter you posted I believe its already step down capable. according to the specs it is 90v-220v. You might not even need that second piece.

Back