Ideas to improve ergonomic of charger

blueice89

Cars
Lucid 22”AGT quantum
I am going to compare to our model Y and I can show a video of how I try to open our Lucid charger vs the Model Y charger

1) The charging cable itself should be able to open the charger door, this would make
It easier to open. Right I press pretty hard on the body itself to open it and then I have to wait for this mechanical lid.

2) I would vote to remove this mechanical lid we have to open this lid daily it’s just one switch away from failing to one right. Also what happens if it fails to open do we just force push with hands??

3) the j1772 port is so massive compared to Tesla port which makes it hard to really just plug it in first shot.

I can’t be the only one that struggles with this stuff right ?? I think there is some room to simplify here and maybe bring a few costs on vehicle down.

Lucid example:

Tesla example :

Right I press pretty hard on the body itself to open it and then I have to wait for this mechanical lid.
You don’t have to press that hard. If you open the charging port, look at the bottom right of it where the lid was, and you’ll see a small rubber button. That’s the button you want to hit. Doesn’t take much force.

I would vote to remove this mechanical lid we have to open this lid daily it’s just one switch away from failing to one right. Also what happens if it fails to open do we just force push with hands??
I do not open mine daily. Maybe once a week, depending on how much I’m driving.

There is a manual release for the charging port. Please read the manual.

I am going to compare to our model Y and I can show a video of how I try to open our Lucid charger vs the Model Y charger

1) The charging cable itself should be able to open the charger door, this would make
It easier to open. Right I press pretty hard on the body itself to open it and then I have to wait for this mechanical lid.

2) I would vote to remove this mechanical lid we have to open this lid daily it’s just one switch away from failing to one right. Also what happens if it fails to open do we just force push with hands??

3) the j1772 port is so massive compared to Tesla port which makes it hard to really just plug it in first shot.

I can’t be the only one that struggles with this stuff right ?? I think there is some room to simplify here and maybe bring a few costs on vehicle down.

Lucid example:

Tesla example :
I just wanted to correct some aspects of this, although I agree that almost every charger except tesla ones are “heavy.”
1.I dont actually get what this means.. do you mean like when you take out the EVSE, it should auto open?
2.Safety reasons, we cant just leave it exposed. Also design reasons.
3. I think you meant CCS, but I wholeheartedly agree.

The j1772 plug is just as easy as the Tesla plug imo.

Lucid example:

Tesla example :
Yes you CAN be the only one that struggles. Maybe just use both hands until you get used to it. No need to compare it to what you’re used to, you’ll get used to the Lucid in no time. Mine works perfectly with one hand every time, and it just takes a slight press on the lower right corner of the charge port door to open.

Do I think the charge port could be simpler? Definitely. It works though. A flap like some cars was my thought to keep the electronic components and motors to a minimum.

The black button location is super helpful as I've struggled to get it open without a hard push myself.

Good post.

Is it me, or is there a charge port button right there on the left cockpit panel?

When I am charging, I’m generally just getting out of the car after a drive. So I tap that button before I get out, and the door is open by the time I get the cable and plug it in.

Now the FRUNK is the opening where I want a physical button.

I can’t be the only one that struggles with this stuff right ??

) ... as he pisses all over the floor around the urinal ... (

Whilst we are on the topic of ergonomics: how's about we improve the ergonomics of "Adaptive Cruse"
by eliminating "Highway Ass" ?

Or for those who still believe in driverless cars: make "High Ass" as difficult to engage as "Adaptive Cruse" is now.

Here's me, every. single. time:

1. Press button to engage adaptive cruse.
2. Highway Assist comes on instead.
3. Drive into bridge abutment while trying to sort out how this works.
Thing is, you can't pull off the highway and figure out how to get to adaptive cruse, and set it....you have to do this at highway speed with both eyes off the road, and confirming information obscured ( something tactile or audible if you are going to hide it from view ).

My experience: on Turnpike, in slow lane, surfing a gap. Press leftmost button on steering wheel (nothing happens). Press "set" button on leftmost thumbwheel (nothing happens). Press it longer. Press it shorter. Press multiple times. (nothing happens). Press "X".
Start over: press leftmost button on steering wheel for a longer time. Press it quickly. Press it both longer and shorter. Do the same with the "Set" button on the left thumbwheel. Duck head under top of steering wheel to see if anything shows up (car drifts out of lane/ slows down). "High Ass" shows up and car immediately jerks wheel to move car into right exit lane. Press and hold leftmost button on steering wheel ... just wait ... wait .... wait .... is it working ? Am I the Highway Ass or have I Adapted ? Car slows and drifts out of lane...
.... go into pilot panel, find the correct menu header, select header, search for steering wheel icon
that looks more like Sauron
1686314884819.png

look for the correct icon to move the steering wheel up (not easy while driving the Turnpike)
move steering wheel up to uncomfortable position so you can see the dash information
look for "adaptive cruse" see " High Ass" instead, or
If not found, go back to beginning and try pressing longer, shorter, pounding wheel with fist... keep eyes on the location of the buttons, the driver screen, and the pilot panel. Let wife tell you how far out of lane you've drifted.

Repeat this several times until "Adaptive Cruse" appears behind the top of the steering wheel. Adjust speed. Joy.
You aren't finished: If it works, go back to pilot panel and go though procedure to set steering wheel back to comfortable driving position.

What I would like is:

Also: the steering wheel adjust knob on the column, and the outside mirror adjust buttons somewhere on the driver door or in line-of=sight.

Not had any worries learning how to open charge port and connect. Use the hand you masturbate with.

I constantly adjust mirrors and wheel positions while driving... I have not seen anyone remark on this. You folk set your profile and drive for hours in one fixed position ?

Last edited:

Whilst we are on the topic of ergonomics: how's about we improve the ergonomics of "Adaptive Cruse"

Or for those who still believe in driverless cars: make "High Ass" as difficult to engage as "Adaptive Cruse" is now.

Thing is, you can't pull off the highway and figure out how to get to adaptive cruse, and set it....you have to do this at highway speed with both eyes off the road, and confirming information obscured ( something tactile or audible if you are going to hide it from view ).

My experience: on Turnpike, in slow lane, surfing a gap. Press leftmost button on steering wheel (nothing happens). Press "set" button on leftmost thumbwheel (nothing happens). Press it longer. Press it shorter. Press multiple times. (nothing happens). Press "X".
Start over: press leftmost button on steering wheel for a longer time. Press it quickly. Press it both longer and shorter. Do the same with the "Set" button on the left thumbwheel. Duck head under top of steering wheel to see if anything shows up (car drifts out of lane/ slows down). "High Ass" shows up and car immediately jerks wheel to move car into right exit lane. Press and hold leftmost button on steering wheel ... just wait ... wait .... wait .... is it working ? Am I the Highway Ass or have I Adapted ? Car slows and drifts out of lane...
.... go into pilot panel, find the correct menu header, select header, search for steering wheel icon
View attachment 12867
look for the correct icon to move the steering wheel up (not easy while driving the Turnpike)
move steering wheel up to uncomfortable position so you can see the dash information
If not found, go back to beginning and try pressing longer, shorter, pounding wheel with fist... keep eyes on the location of the buttons, the driver screen, and the pilot panel. Let wife tell you how far out of lane you've drifted.

Repeat this several times until "Adaptive Cruse" appears behind the top of the steering wheel. Adjust speed. Joy.
You aren't finished: If it works, go back to pilot panel and go though procedure to set steering wheel back to comfortable driving position.

What I would like is:

Also: the steering wheel adjust knob on the column, and the outside mirror adjust buttons somewhere on the driver door or in line-of=sight.

Not had any worries learning how to open charge port and connect. Use the hand you masturbate with.

I constantly adjust mirrors and wheel positions while driving... I have not seen anyone remark on this. You folk set your profile and drive for hours in one fixed position ?
Don't derail this topic Cosmo!

View attachment 12867

What I would like is:

This post made me laugh 😂 you sold the frustration here. I don’t even know how to turn on adaptive cruise yet but done highway assist several times

Lucid example:

Tesla example :
Maybe you need to hit the gym.

Maybe you need to hit the gym.
It’s quite possible I have been out of shape but I love this video let me try that. What would you do say it didn’t open is there a manual emergency switch?

Please read the manual.
If we did that there would be no need for "Lucidowners.com"

Also: "Please read the manual." is archaic.
You should get with the digital age borski. There is no such thing as a manual. Did you forget that we've been in the "paperless office" since the invention of email and PDF? ... say it like this:

Please google: "how does my car work?". Get distracted by something in your peripheral; lose 6 hours of your day.

It’s quite possible I have been out of shape but I love this video let me try that. What would you do say it didn’t open is there a manual emergency switch?
No, that's only to release the charge cable. Dude, RTFM or use the forum search.

You don’t have to press that hard. If you open the charging port, look at the bottom right of it where the lid was, and you’ll see a small rubber button. That’s the button you want to hit. Doesn’t take much force.

I do not open mine daily. Maybe once a week, depending on how much I’m driving.

There is a manual release for the charging port. Please read the manual.
You are lucky 🍀, some of us have to return to office

It occurs to me this entire website could be replaced by these:

1. Read the Manual
2. Have you tried turning it off and on again ?

I am not really a read the manual person I personally like to learn by Doing and discovering or watching YouTube videos.

Back