How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Does the car have a sensor that tells you if you're driving into a head wind or with a tail wind?
Yep, a window! if the plants are blowing to the back of the car it's a headwind! Opposite is a tailwind! j/k no it doesn't

How many miles are on your car?
1600...had to drive about 110 miles today, but there was a lot of faster stretches (85 or so), and finished the day at 3.2. So finished about average, but probably half of the travel was at 80+ on interstate. I'll see if I see anything similar tomorrow. Now the 4.5-to 5.1 was only for about the first 20 miles, but I've never seen it say anything over 5, so I thought it was odd. Probably a random occurrence, but just different from what I have experienced any time before (over the whopping 3 weeks I've had the car).

1600...had to drive about 110 miles today, but there was a lot of faster stretches (85 or so), and finished the day at 3.2. So finished about average, but probably half of the travel was at 80+ on interstate. I'll see if I see anything similar tomorrow. Now the 4.5-to 5.1 was only for about the first 20 miles, but I've never seen it say anything over 5, so I thought it was odd. Probably a random occurrence, but just different from what I have experienced any time before (over the whopping 3 weeks I've had the car).
I have never seen over 3.7 so I am hoping there is something to the break in period but I remain skeptical.

I have never seen over 3.7 so I am hoping there is something to the break in period but I remain skeptical.
I saw 6.5 when I was slowing down from 80 after I reset the trip computer. Take that physics!

I always start the day over 6 because my first short stretch is a steep hill. I tend to maintain 3.6 - 3.8, sometimes higher, if driving stop and go streets. 3.2 if I take the highway.

LA to Lake Havasu with a charge stop in Palm Springs I averaged 3.1 Mile/kilowatt
I was told from Lucid Customer care that the Batteries and electric motors need a 2000 miles break in period. I'm hoping that is true because no matter what I have tried I can not get the stated range:(
I spoke to a service technician today about this possible break in period. He commented that there isn't a break in period at all - it just takes the car some time to learn driving habits. And that there is no magically update. He did not have an answer as to why m/kwh seem to improve over time. He did say that the car testers are instructed to ride the car hard before delivery. I had 30 miles on the car when I picked it up and he said half of those were probably at a very low m/kwh.

I spoke to a service technician today about this possible break in period. He commented that there isn't a break in period at all - it just takes the car some time to learn driving habits. And that there is no magically update. He did not have an answer as to why m/kwh seem to improve over time. He did say that the car testers are instructed to ride the car hard before delivery. I had 30 miles on the car when I picked it up and he said half of those were probably at a very low m/kwh.
Isn't taking time to learn habits the very đefinition of a break in period?

All I know about a “break-in” period involves the first year of the EVs life. Battery capacity drops relatively sharp in the first year and then degrades at a more consistent pace. Not sure if this has been worked out yet.
The cars range display should be more dynamic than static - it’s constantly adjusting based on both real time driving habits and past trips.

I think car tires do have a rolling resistance "break in" period, but I'd expect it to be only a few hundred miles.

Isn't taking time to learn habits the very đefinition of a break in period?
There were a few comments that suggested that there was possibly a software defined setting to allow enough cycles to charge/discharge before allowing full performance rather than the car learning your driving habits. My post was to clarify that it is only the car just learning to give a better expected range. And that there should be no change to m/kwh if you drive the same and hit the "magic" 3,000 mark.

I always start the day over 6 because my first short stretch is a steep hill. I tend to maintain 3.6 - 3.8, sometimes higher, if driving stop and go streets. 3.2 if I take the highway.

I find that elevation changes do make a difference. My house is 1400 feet above sea level and the Lucid design studio is at 1300 feet above sea level and is about 11 miles away from me. Driving my BMW PHEV down slow city streets (mostly 35 mph speed limits) to the mall in pure electric mode I get about 20% better mileage than driving back.

There were a few comments that suggested that there was possibly a software defined setting to allow enough cycles to charge/discharge before allowing full performance rather than the car learning your driving habits. My post was to clarify that it is only the car just learning to give a better expected range. And that there should be no change to m/kwh if you drive the same and hit the "magic" 3,000 mark.

Oh, I didn’t mean that it was a software defined setting or there was a magic mark. I just meant it definitely seems better after 4200 mi. Likely because of both the car learning me *and* me learning the car.

Ok...so based on the commute this morning, I think there are a few things going on with range on mine. 1) I definitely think there has been some adjustment to driving habits but it may only account for 10-20% of the improvement. 2) Last week I started using the Hard regen setting. I do think the differences there are pretty pronounced. 3) I think @Steveinarizona mentioned this on a different thread, but most of the trip to take my son to school is a long 10+ mile gentle downhill. Between the downhill and the hard regen, I think this is how I'm seeing the higher numbers on the drive in. Actually hit 6.3 today.

On today's trip though rather than going into the office, I went back home. So I had the same trip in reverse. As a result, the kWh came down. So I finished with 3.5 (roughly 50 miles and never above 65 mph). Where I think the adjusting to driving and hard regen are playing a role is that the same trip used to bring 3-3.1.

Not sure if that explanation interests anyone other than me, but downhill certainly creates a pretty big disparity especially when it happens with your early miles.

Ok...so based on the commute this morning, I think there are a few things going on with range on mine. 1) I definitely think there has been some adjustment to driving habits but it may only account for 10-20% of the improvement. 2) Last week I started using the Hard regen setting. I do think the differences there are pretty pronounced. 3) I think @Steveinarizona mentioned this on a different thread, but most of the trip to take my son to school is a long 10+ mile gentle downhill. Between the downhill and the hard regen, I think this is how I'm seeing the higher numbers on the drive in. Actually hit 6.3 today.

On today's trip though rather than going into the office, I went back home. So I had the same trip in reverse. As a result, the kWh came down. So I finished with 3.5 (roughly 50 miles and never above 65 mph). Where I think the adjusting to driving and hard regen are playing a role is that the same trip used to bring 3-3.1.

Not sure if that explanation interests anyone other than me, but downhill certainly creates a pretty big disparity especially when it happens with your early miles.
So this is the opposite of walking to school in the snow uphill both ways...but yea I think driving habits will definitely be a very large determine factor of efficiency

Absolutely. Before I retired my office was in downtown Phoenix. I used to say I could easily bike to work, but getting home would be a very, very tough challenge.

Back